330d coupe 19" wheels run flats

Marab

Thinking about buying a 330d m sport coupe, probably about 12 mnths old. Having read all the nightmare stories about 19" wheels cracking and very expensive tyres I wondered if anyone has experience of 18" wheels and run flats on this car. I realise it may be hard to find an m sport on 18" wheels but some of the face lift models are starting to appear on 18" wheels.

Such a shame about 19" wheel dilema, I may have to settle for a 320d or a 330d se?

RFT are very expensive in whatever size you buy. I have no experience of an 330d however, depending on how long you plan on keeping the car any manufacturing faults with the wheels should be covered by the warranty. Another option is to buy the car with 19"'s, take them off and sell them on ebay/forum etc and buy new 18"'s without RFT.

Thanks Andy and Chris. BMW warranty should cover cracked wheels seems to be a bit of an issue with BMW, they rather think pot holes and bad driving are usually to blame. I haven't heard as many people having issues with 18" wheels, but it does seem a bit ridiculous to spend around 30K on a used car and then start trying to sell the wheels?

There is also the insurance issue, and I think it would be difficult to clear removing RFTs and replace with normal tyres with insurance company before buying the car?

Such a shame, I love everything else about 300d coupe, I can't help wondering why BMW don't ditch RFTs? Is there anybody out there that actually likes them? I think not.

I have runflats and I think they are ok - not wonderful, but I certainly don't hate them. That being said I would seriously consider changing them to normals if a situation arises where all four tyres required replacement at around the same time.

I know many people who have changed from runflats to normal with no problems whatsoever. Those who have told their insurers about the change haven't had too much of a problem - most insurers are more concerned about you having a tyre with suitable speed rating rather than runflat/non-runflat. Others simply haven't told their insurers taking the view that RFT is a convenience rather than a safety feature.

• 3 months later...

Ended up buying a 320d M Sport Coupe on 18" wheels with runflats. They seem to be ok and the ride is a big improvement on my A3, but they do tram line. I suppose I'll just have to decide whether to change them to non runflats when they need changing. I'm told tyre pressures should be 35 fronts 41 rear, I was a bit surprised at 41 rears?