£60 and 3 points for snow on roof

Sponge

I think the following warning is doing the rounds on Facebook, emails and text messages, but it's for real.

I've just had a call from my father law. He was pulled over by the Police and threatened with the above for the snow on his roof. He had a brush in his car and was allowed to clear it and move along without being done. This was Merseyside Police, btw.

Just bear it in mind. +++

Drivers face fine for snow on roof | The Sun |News

It is very dangerous. The heat of the car melts the bottom of the snow and if you have to brake suddenly the whole lot flies forward and gets deposited on your windscreen and bonnet completely blocking your vision - and your wipers cannot cope with the weight of snow. I know it happened to me a few years ago :o. It was actually pretty scary. I now clear the roof of snow - it only takes a minute or so +++

There have been an awful lot of people around here done for it. Particularly in the second week of snow fall a few weeks back.

I don't see any issues with it. It's common sense to wipe a foot of snow off your roof before setting off, surely?

Some people don't even clean their wiindscreens properly, let alone anything else!

They have the right to fine you its in the highway code and where i live the mercenary sods aint shy either.........just a snip from highway code

Before you set off

• you MUST be able to see, so clear all snow and ice from all your windows
  • you MUST ensure that lights are clean and number plates are clearly visible and legible
  • make sure the mirrors are clear and the windows are demisted thoroughly
  • remove all snow that might fall off into the path of other road users +++
  • check your planned route is clear of delays and that no further snowfalls or severe weather are predicted

[Laws CUR reg 30, RVLR reg 23, VERA sect 43 & RV(DRM)R reg 11]

They have the right to fine you its in the highway code and where i live the mercenary sods aint shy either.........just a snip from highway code

Before you set off

• you MUST ensure that lights are clean and number plates are clearly visible and legible
  • check your planned route is clear of delays and that no further snowfalls or severe weather are predicted

Good find!

In which case we've all seen people with steamed up windows in spring and autumn. Not just because of snow!

Reading that article, there's a good point raised about public awareness. I know it should be up to all road users to know the highway code and common sense to clear your car, but still, it'd be good to stick an advert or advice on the news to highlight key points in the winter months including winter tyres and clearing snow. It's obvious how many retards there are that need this patronising prod.

Before you set off

If you can get fined + points for not cleaning snow off your car, that extract means it's also an offence (fine + points?) for not checking if there are any traffic jams or if it's going to snow or rain heavily.

Personally, I'd be seriously pissed off if I was stopped and fined for having snow on my roof while idiots blindly cause chaos on the roads with their inability to drive in winter conditions while being a serious dangger to themselves and other road users. I aso feel sorry for people stuck in a traffic jam who have to keep getting out their car every 15 minutes to clean the roof. Rules is rules though :P

As I understand the Highway Code, the above excerpt states it's a legal requirement (the use of the word must and listing the relevent legislation) to clear windows, lights and number plate, but it's not strictly against the law to have snow on your roof.

The small amount of reading I've done also suggests that there is no law against having snow on your roof per se; however, if there is an incident whereby snow falling off a roof was a factor, then the Highway Code can be used in evidence and a charge of dangerous driving/driving without due care, can be brought. I'm no lawyer and could be way off the mark, but fining people £60 and giving them points for simply having snow on their roof, where no incident has occured, is pushing it. Saying something could happen is grounds for educating a driver and asking them to remove the snow on safety grounds, but not enough to fine them. (Playing devil's advocate.)

Edited by Sponge

Id be pretty pissed too having been stopped if i didnt clear my roof etc. I like my car the way it is but yes Cruiser your right the steamed up windows are another hazard and totally miffs me how people can drive like it even at night along the motorway!!!!:ffs:

I have seen it too many times and they cant even see you....only last minute.com when you are trying to pass them, they should be fined and 3 points as it all boils down to driving without due care and attention :ffs:

Ok rant over now.......peace:cool:

Actually, after yesterday I can see why these rules are in place, I was driving along the M27 and a bloody great big lump of ice flew off the top of a lorry and crashed into the road about 2 feet in front of my car, it would probably made a mess of the windscreen if i'd of been 5 feet further forward.

Change of pants for Stu.

Actually, after yesterday I can see why these rules are in place, I was driving along the M27 and a bloody great big lump of ice flew off the top of a lorry and crashed into the road about 2 feet in front of my car, it would probably made a mess of the windscreen if i'd of been 5 feet further forward.

Change of pants for Stu.

Ahh, but the Police cannot see the tops of lorries, so they are OK...... :rolleyes: