Connecting Surround Sound on Virgin V+ Box

SneakyMcC

Hi P

Thanks for the reply. I dont have a SS yet and I wouldn't know a fibre input if I fell over it?dunno.gif I will try to find out today, with regard the SS, I was thinking Richersounds for some yesteryears kit?

Edit:

We have Xbox, PS3 and Wii and a DVD/Video burner thing. I was wondering if a speaker package the we just bought for my daughters iPod would plug straight into the TV? Its 5.1 something or other, but I'm sure if it were that simple and inexpensive the Hi-Fi industry would be loosing £'s whistling.gif It just plugs in via a headphones jack?

image.php?productid=388

Edited by SneakyMcC

I'm not up on all this stuff to be honest. My TV (36" CRT!! - it's kid proof) and my Surround System are about 10 years old! You can get surround from a stereo input if the signal is encoded with something like Pro-Logic but DTS/Dolby Digital etc are better.

Take a look at this for the formats : Surround Sound Formats - Dolby Digital, dts, THX Surround EX, dts Extended Surround - TimeForDVD.com

With all those feeds you're gonna either need an amp with multiple imputs or some sort of switch which allows you to select which one goes on to your amp etc.

Your question seems to be much broader than just V+ and I'm sure there's many on here more upto date than me (wouldn't be hard!). For the V+ though this is a useful FAQ : V+ Faq - Cable Forum

Right, I'm sorted, finally. Bought a DCS 404K 5.1 Pioneer thingy, but then realised that this didnt have the optical port that the guy in the shop we should use to hear what we see on the TV screen. We swapped that for a Pioneer BCS-707. Seems to do the trick!

Thank you P!

Best wishes,

Sneaky

So how did you hook it up in the end then? V+ box to the SS or from the telly? What cables?

Looking to get a soundbar in the new year - the shape of the room is just not right for a proper setup (read : missus won't let me) and want to hook it up to my V+ box (Samsung HD one)

So how did you hook it up in the end then? V+ box to the SS or from the telly? What cables?

Looking to get a soundbar in the new year - the shape of the room is just not right for a proper setup (read : missus won't let me) and want to hook it up to my V+ box (Samsung HD one)

I've been toying with the idea of a soundbar for similar reasons. Let us know how you get on.

Our room is not ideal either. HDMI from the Pioneer 707 to the TV, then an optical cable between the same two units. With the optical cable, whatever you see on the screen (TV, Xbox, PS3, Virgin V+), you hear just by pressing the optical botton on the Pioneer remote, Simples

Edited by SneakyMcC