1997 A6 *C5* Quattro headlamps question

grahamb

Hi All

My lenses on both headlamps are opaque, and I've bought an HID kit to give the car some extra light at night time.

I bought a couple of headlamps off eBay, and the first one that turned up, a second hand item, is a different style to the one on the car.

The (halogen) Quattro lamp units on the car, have a series of dots surrounding the circular lense (chrome surround), and the indicator bulb is exposed.

The halogen lamp unit that turned up today, has no dots on the lense surround, and there is a reflector infront of the orange indicator bulb. The side lamp bulb is also in a different position. It's a Hella unit.

I'm thinking now to just replace the lense as thats mint. But it depends on what the second lamp looks like when it arrives. If they both share the same internals, I'll use them.

They were both advertised as 97-00 for the year, so can someone tell me if there was a facelift at any point, or does the Quattro have different lamps to other models (which I doubt)

TIA

Graham

Existing lamp on the car

http://twitpic.com/3lkslg

Replacement unit

http://twitpic.com/3lksu7

Edited by grahamb

I think there was a subtle change of various bits (trim and stuff) between 98 - 99.

I am sure my S-reg quattro had different lamps to my old Y-reg and my existing Y-reg A6. In my gallery page there might be a picture of my old Y-reg quattro. Under Cruiser's Audis. Then of course they changed in 01 with the facelift I think.

I'll check tomorrow in the light on my existing Y-reg.

Just checked my lamps. The bit around the projector lens is smooth. No dimples/dots or whatever.

Hope that helps. 2001, Y-Reg V6 TDi quattro saloon

Thanks. Looks like the design changed in 99

So the headlamps should fit, but the internal are all different.

The other one I bought, a brand new lamp, is the same as my 97 design.