Cleaning in cold weather

DanG

Been racking up the miles over Christmas and the car is so filthy that you couldnt read the rear plate at all - have wiped it (a bit) now to be 'legal'....

Thinking tomorrow might be snowfoam and presure washer day - not going to fiddle with hand washing for the sake of it getting filthy the next day.

Any issues with using snowfoam in colder weather? it wont strip the wax off it will it?

thanks!

+++

Snowfoam won't strip wax if used in the correct concentrate. I *think* it might potentially lightly reduce the durability if used very regularly but others may argue otherwise. Snow foaming is great as a pre-wash to remove grit and say 80% of the surface grime but it never cleans properly - imo it is only to be used in addition to a mitt and bucket.

@ Maxyboy - light weight! :P I'd probably wash my car on NY day given the chance but Mrs TT has banned me from any car cleaning over the festive period:)

I would usually use mitt and bucket afters, but it's too cold for all that and seems futile given the speed at which the vehicles get dirty again..... Looks like I will be doing three cars today!!!

As for new years day, last night was the drinking bit, this morning is the recovery bit (outside with the presure washer and ear defs on), this afternoon is rugby on the tv and then tonight is the pub again...

A fair start to 2011 IMO!!

+++

I finished mine 5 mins ago.

I gave it a foam, a jet wash with plenty of time up and around the underneath, a wash and a dry. I haven't waxed etc as I ran out of time and the real exercise was to remove all the salt and crud. It's like having a new car again.:grin:

Oh and my hands froze as I did it all with cold water !

post-124-13791446065_thumb.jpg

Over the Christmas holidays I washed and dried, then 2 coats ot Autoglym SRP followed by 2 coats of Collinite 476 wax. Great stuff that old Colli, have had a tin for ages and great for winter. Washed the car again last weekend and it was sooooo quick to dry as all the water had run off.