Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cabby

PSP as blueray player

9 posts in this topic

Will be upgrading the TV some time this year and getting a BR to go with this. I've not had a console for ages (the Wii don't count :grin:) so was toying with the idea of a slim psp.

What are the downsides? I was thinking about picture/sound quality and ease of control mainly.

The other thing i'd like to understand is what the different HD sizes make to how you use them. I'm guessing for what i'd be doing the smallest would do :confused:.

Hiya,

you mean the PlayStation3?

If so I have used the PlayStation3 since it was launched and its a fantastic device, I use it mainly for Freeview television, music, photos and watcing dvd/bluray movies. I also use it for the odd game but I`m not a big gamer.

The slim PS3`s are a lot easier to live with compared to the original due to the fan noise but it is sill present, not really too distracting though.

I have mine hooked up the my 42" plasma display with is 720p HD and a full 1080p HD projector, both offer superb picture quality and I can`t really fault the PS3 for its picture/sound output.

The downside with the PS3 could be its remote as it only works with dedicated bluetooth remote controls, so your normal universal ones wont work. You can get a special adaptor for the Logitech harmony remote but this is pretty costly. I would just buy a Sony PS3 Bluray remote control for your needs.

The main HD sizes are 720 and 1080. Treat screens and resolutions like DSLR camera`s, just because something has 1080 resolution doesnt mean it has the best picture, so many factors make a good picture quality.

What kind of distance will you be sitting makes a difference and the size of the screen. For example I sit about 9ft away from my 42" 720p display, if this display was 1080p, the difference at the distance I sit at wouldnt be very noticable. But when I have my projector outputting to 84", the resolution makes all the difference to the details and picture etc.

The bigger the screeen size, the better the resolution is required to generally maintain the picture sharpness and clarity etc.

I`m not expert in this field and I`m sure somebody else will offer more advice.

Hope this helps.

Riz :)

Are you going to buy it to just have the BR feature or are you looking for a gaming experience that happens to play BR discs also.

What sort of setup do you currently have? Surround sound units?

Doesn't the PS3 also support the playback of 3D Blu Ray films? I'm sure mine downloaded a firmware upgrade before Christmas which said it was for 3D Blu Ray support.

The latest PS3 update will allow you to watch 3D films. But you do need a 3D TV lol

Doesn't the PS3 also support the playback of 3D Blu Ray films? I'm sure mine downloaded a firmware upgrade before Christmas which said it was for 3D Blu Ray support.

I love my PS3 as a Blu-Ray player (on top of everything else) and would recommend it to anyone. I'm not sure of the price differential with a BD only player, but with all the software upgradability (by Ethernet or built in WiFi) it will always be a top player.

I absolutely love the Bluetooth remote and think that soon all remotes should be the same. The PS3 is right behind my TV, so line of sight would be a problem with any other machine.

Are you going to buy it to just have the BR feature or are you looking for a gaming experience that happens to play BR discs also.

What sort of setup do you currently have? Surround sound units?

The desire for a BR player is main driver but if I can also get a console (especially on that will let me play GT5) then that would be a bonus.

No cinema/sound add-ons at present - would probably add something though likely to be 2.1 or a sound-bar. Can't be doing with cables and speakers all over the living room!

What sort of other things can you do with the ps3 other than straightforward game, DVD and BR playing?

The wireless bit generally only eliminates signal cables between the rears. You still need power, cables for the other speakers and of course the units themselves. If you have a large living room with the space etc. i'm sure 5+ speakers could work but doesn't really appeal to me and my setup.