[Audi A3/S3] Weird coolant pressure - audi a3 8p

Pan

Hi, this site has helped me with a few issues in the past, i hope someone can help me.

I have a audi a3 2.0 FSI - in the past few weeks, my coolant/water warning light has been coming on whilst driving.. When i pop the bonnet the water level looks very low, however the second i open the cap to put coolant in the tank fills up again??? why is this happening??? is this normal??

so the level is low, and as soon as i open the cap and the tank de-pressurises the tank fills up again.... its as if the water is making its way into the engine and not coming back out until i open the water cap...

any help will be appreciated... Thanks in advanced

Pan

If you take off the cap just after the engine has been running then the level in the expansion tank will rise as you describe. It is totally normal

When the engine is cold, check the coolant level and make sure it's between minimum and maximum. If not top up to to max level with G12 plus plus, which is available at your local dealer or TPS.

If you're still finding that you are losing coolant then you ned to get the system pressure tested to try and find out where the coolant is leaking.

You're welcome, I've had my own coolant issues recently which resulted in a new engine at VW expense due to a porous block. I was paranoid about coolant level because I was convinced it was dropping and my dealer kept telling me there was no leaks. Unfortunately, I was found to be correct.

As said best to top up and check level when cold and make sure you top up with correct mix of G12++ and water (distilled), between 60:40 to 40:60 ratio. If it's ust a small amount neat G12++ is fine. Whatever you do don't just fill up with water as it will weaken the mix which will raise the freezing threshold and reduce the boiling point.