Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maxyboy

Holiday in July or august

19 posts in this topic

Gents,

After having no holiday for five years I am now starting to feel the need for a break before I crack up.

The other half has mentioned Mexico/barbados and the Maldives, however I am not to sure if these places are good at this time of year in reference to rainy seasons or intense heat.

Can anyone recommend a place that wound be relaxing, not involve a 7am rush every morning for a sun lounger, relatively quiet, 5star-ish maybe, 3-3.5k all in for the two of us over a week to ten days?

I could go to a travel centre but I would prefer a personal recommendation.

Thanks

I'm sure someone will come along and tell you theyv'e been, but I was always led to believe Maldives wouldn't be so great in "their" winter ie our summer! Also, do you have to go during school holidays? Most places will be covered by thosy pesky kids

It not so much school holidays, it's more the only time the other half can get off work, she can finish 11th July but has to be back by the 22nd august.

I have been to Mexico before and loved it however I thought my times land us in rainy season.

I'm not opposed to the like of Spain but I really want somewhere I can relax and not have a typical chav package holiday ( he says trying to not sound up his own arse)

Lots of friends have been to mexico during the summer months, but is more prone to hurricaine weather and a downpour about 4pm every day ..... can be a bit of a risk but the sun and heat is still available.

Having been to the usual haunts of Majorca, Fuerteventura, Portugal and such like with the kids and finding even the five star properties crammed full of english bodies and their offspring I was pleasantly suprised with the hotel we booked in Turkey last summer. It wasn't cheap and we did go in the school summer holidays with two children but there was really probably at most twenty children total at the hotel during the day .... obviously if you can go as early as the 11th the prices might seem a little more reasonable. It was called Xanadu in Belek - might not be to your taste but we ate well, evening entertainment was better than most Ive seen, being beachfront meant there was a subtle breeze so you didn't just cook by the pool, and best of all the pools were like stepping into a bath, not the usual spanglish friggin freezing swimming pools.

Looking around, 10 days in Mexico seems to be in budget.

Any recommendations.......

depends what you are looking for ... Cancun if you want a typical package holiday but personally I like the Riviera Maya area - on my hitlist of places to go (without the kids if I'm really lucky)

Booked it, packed it, f^cked off!!

Riviera Maya in Mexico.

Flying out from Manchester on the 11th of July.

Hopefully just before the real rainy season starts.

Oooooh you lucky sod - could do with pi55ing off to Mexico right now. +++ What hotel are you staying in?

Oooooh you lucky sod - could do with pi55ing off to Mexico right now. +++ What hotel are you staying in?

I could do with going now too however I'll have to wait six months.

We will be staying at the Sensatori resort, Mexico, which is part of thomsons premier collection.

It looks tremendous and comes highly recommended.

Really looking forward to it after five years of no sun.

Should be good, my sister in law has been similar time there and loved it - she had 2 days with afternoon rain in 10 which cannot be complained about.

Maxyboy, I work for TUI the company that own Thomson/First Choice. Great choice, did you book online? I may be able to get you my friends and family discount. Your going to love the sensatori +++

Maxyboy, I work for TUI the company that own Thomson/First Choice. Great choice, did you book online? I may be able to get you my friends and family discount. Your going to love the sensatori +++

No I didn't book online, something that riles me as there is a 400 pounds saving to be had. I noticed 1 hour after booking when I got home. I phoned them straight away to see what they could do but they wouldn't budge. Wouldn't even use the cash as part of an upgrade.

I am very much looking forward to it though, it does look great, if a little isolated but I can live with that I think.

Any sort of discount is music to my ears.

I'd ring again and speak to the Branch Manager - at £400 saving you coulda lost your deposit cancelling and rebooked online and still have saved some pennies (possibly, not sure what TUI deposit is for long haul). That is a load of tosh!!

It wasn't the branch manager I booked with but it was him who replied to my email.

I did think about cancelling and re booking online however I would have had to pay substantially more than just the deposit I had paid so I would have lost out.

I looked into it and I believe it's only the holiday industry that works this way, however I believe it's meant to change this year as part of consumer rights.

All a bit of a bugger really as the 400 pounds could have got a room upgrade or an upgrade on the flight.

We booked last week through First Choice. I turned up and said I know where I want to go, when I want to go and what the best price is online, beat that price and I'll book now.

As it was, even after 20 mins of negotiating, they matched it but couldn't beat it. The daft thing is that we saved £450 doing this by getting First Choice to match their own website, FFS!

The manager initially claimed they couldn't match the website price as the branches offered service above and beyond the web site. I did then remind her that i had come in and said exactly what I wanted and had received no service whatsoever and wasn't going to pay £450 for the privilege. I showed her the price on my iPhone and with a smile asked her to match it or I would buy it online as soon as I left the store.

That's a real shame! Web prices are usually a couple of hundred less then the shop for the exact holiday but the shop match them if you ask before booking but may charge a £5/10 admin fee for their personal service. You also get £15 if you book via Quidco. Even the people that work in the shops book online!! Maxyboy, I'll have a look into that discount. They usually let you cancel within 24 hours but probably only if you said you'd decided against Mexico or something not that you'd seen it cheaper I'm afraid. At work I see the web and shop price side by side and the difference on nearly evey holiday in unreal.

I've just booked here for me and my girlfriend. Thomson Holidays - El Dorado Seaside Suites, by Karisma

No kids allowed, 5 Star & all inclusive with a Jacuzzi in your room. Forbes lists it as one of the top 10 most romantic hotels in the world. It's currently about £980 per person on the Thomsom website for a week in June flying from London or East Midlands which is a bargain as the room alone usually costs about £2300 for a week and this includes flights, transfers etc...

Because I work for the company I'm paying even less (price of the flights!) then off to Canada a few days after I return :D will report back but thought I'd pop the suggestion in the thread for anyone looking for a holiday and remember always book online! P.S book via Quidco and get another £15.00 of. I just did! :D