re 07 golf tdi 1.9

eileenleach

hi im new to the forum im trying to found out where would i find the engine number on a golf, iv got vin number iv got a number that stands out on the engine but not sure it its engine, my car has had a reconditioned engine in 8 months ago and it now needs another engine this would be third engine in 3 years from new and first registration, the latest garage has queried the previous engine and if its been replaced it cost me 1900.00 how do i find out if its a reconditioned engine or my original engine the previous garage seems panicky and has now offered to pay for a new engine but insists he wont fit the engine, he also seems to want the last engine although he knows its no good and he,s not fitting the new engine .........help required, diagrams of exact point of engine number please if possible. thanks eileen

Would be interesting to know why it went in first place.Hmmmmmm some reasons could be

A: the tandem pump had leaked diesel into the oil ways then into sump and filled it up causing extensive damage. Which is not very common but does happen and ive seen it happen a few times. If the indy wasnt savvy he would never have thought to check/replace it.

B: Turbo blew, ran engine on its own oil till destruction.

C: Went through puddle in the rain bent con rods,stressed crank etc and was not repaired properly ie cran

im a woman and at the point of first problem which was down to lack of oil i didnt like to be a nuisance and thought i was at fault for no oil check as such, i am only just beginning to look things up and read stuff about pistons and cam belts and tensioners and iv now learnt that the first time my engine went pop it was still under vw warranty and given the fact no warning lights flashed up to pre warn me vw wouldve been at fault and wouldve had to rectify all the damage had i read up on car management and faults and warranty at that time, only i didnt n i took it to it to nearest non vw garage probably panic and lack of time to read any documents supplied with mly car when i bought it new from vw, which wouldve then voided my warranty, i am only looking into everything now cos 8 months on my car has popped again and this seems impossible, i had a tow truck pick it up and they,ve had a look and say the tensioners cant av been correctly set when cam belt and reconditioned engine were replaced 8 months back, they have also been looking for an engine number to see if it actually did get replaced with a reconditioned one or is it my original engine and iv been charged 1900.00 quid for nothing, a male family member got intouch with garage and asked about the work done and the garage said he thinks it was a second hand engine not reconditioned, as e seemed unsure my family member told him to find the paperwork he was rather panicky and nervous as to why the recovery garage had touched the engine and got a tad aggressive, anyway the paperwork was looked at and reconditioned engine it says on paperwork and he,s now offered to replace my engine which to me seems an admition of fault by his work however he,s not willing to fit the engine, he has also asked me to get the engine and car to him, i am not so sure about that due to the fact an engine number cannot br found and why does he want the engine if he,s not fitting the replacement in my car, i need further help first to find this number and id also like to know if my engine was replaced 8 months back would my v5 need to be sent in to change engine number details on this because iv never been told to do so and that now does not seem legal.......

In an ideal world yes you should be informed of change of engine number if it was a second hand one. Sounds as though your old unit has been overhauled or a second hand unit fitted. Also you should of informed DVLA........what is your engine size please ill have a look tomorrow for you.