Crimp electrical connectors

Flynn

I've seen these connectors in the stores where you crimp the connector onto the wire you take the feed from and then there is a blade shaped output which you can take a live from. I want to setup an oil temperature gauge, but I want to leave room for two more gauges on the electrical feed so rather than daisy chaining them I would much rather have one which has three outputs rather than one. I found them in the shops but can't find a pic online. Basically you crimp them onto the live feed wire and then it has a blade shaped output that you can connect a wire to get the electricity from. Edit: Like this:

foglight.splice.connector.jpg

Edited by Flynn

Hi Paul, I would try to avoid soldering if possible, as I might want to relocate and/or remove the gauges at a later date. I would also have to buy a soldering iron so anything 'plug and play' would be a lot less expensive. If I can find a spare 12v output or something that will be ideal.

Buy one less guage (they're gonna do feck all for you anyway) and use the money to get a soldering iron and do it properly.

Anyway you get the whole deal for about £7 : Soldering Kit - Iron Stand Solder Desolder Pump Guide on eBay (end time 14-Feb-11 16:44:13 GMT)

If you cut and solder on the correct connectors, when you remove your gauge you simply join the connectors together again. With the clips you leave a cut wire outer.

There's the right way and the wrong way.

Okay thanks for the Ebay link buddy. I must disagree with the gauges being not useful though, oil temperature, intake temperate and boost pressure are all very important during hard driving, especially when the fuel pump and turbo are turned up which I fully intend to do once my gauges are set up.

Okay thanks for the Ebay link buddy. I must disagree with the gauges being not useful though, oil temperature, intake temperate and boost pressure are all very important during hard driving, especially when the fuel pump and turbo are turned up which I fully intend to do once my gauges are set up.

You really are delusional.

You really are delusional.

Okay big boy, why have any indictators at all? Why have water temp? If you drive within a certain rev band for awhile then the oil will heat up. Also if you are going to tune the engine you need to know how that effects things like oil temperate and turbo pressure.

Edited by Flynn

Is it possible to drive a 306 hard enough on the road for oil temp/intake temp and boost pressure to become critical?!

Okay big boy, why have any indictators at all? Why have water temp? If you drive within a certain rev band for awhile then the oil will heat up. Also if you are going to tune the engine you need to know how that effects things like oil temperate and turbo pressure. Sounds like you've got no idea what I'm talking about.

Be nice to the Mook and you may just learn something, he's had more track time than you've had road time - not to mention building his own trackday car +++

Okay with that new information I have edited my post accordingly. Yes, when you turn up the turbo and the fuel pump it is important to monitor the boost pressure. And yes, when you are constantly on the turbo at high revs (for instance twisty lanes where you don't get much speed up) then it is also important to monitor oil temperature.

Okay with that new information I have edited my post accordingly. Yes, when you turn up the turbo and the fuel pump it is important to monitor the boost pressure. And yes, when you are constantly on the turbo at high revs (for instance twisty lanes where you don't get much speed up) then it is also important to monitor oil temperature.

Perhaps you shouldn't be driving that hard on the road?

Sorry but I'm just not seeing the need of them on your particular car especially for on road use.

Okay big boy, why have any indictators at all? Why have water temp? If you drive within a certain rev band for awhile then the oil will heat up. Also if you are going to tune the engine you need to know how that effects things like oil temperate and turbo pressure.

:roflmao:

If you're going to put any gauges in your car, they should be oil pressure and oil temp, and put in an oil pressure warning buzzer. Having a boost gauge in a road car is pointless. If you lose boost, call out the RAC and they'll tow you home.

Okay with that new information

It's not hard to see why you've evidently pissed enough people off on other forums.

Write up your original post that you edited, will you - I could do with a laugh today.

Perhaps you shouldn't be driving that hard on the road?

Sorry but I'm just not seeing the need of them on your particular car especially for on road use.

No I don't mean driving hard, I just mean using the car in a certain rev band for an extended period of time. Even before I became a member of the IAM, I had utmost respect for what might be around the next corner. Sometimes driving in the power band is infact safer than driving with low revs. If you are in higher revs, oil heats up more. That applies to any car, I can't see the problem your encountering with that concept.

:roflmao:

If you're going to put any gauges in your car, they should be oil pressure and oil temp, and put in an oil pressure warning buzzer. Having a boost gauge in a road car is pointless. If you lose boost, call out the RAC and they'll tow you home.

I think your missing something, this whole thread is about wiring up a temperature gauge! As for boost, yes it is important, as if you have a boost leak your pressure drops and the only way to monitor that is via a boost gauge. Also if you turbo is faulty it can provide too much boost, therefore raising the intake temperature and I'm sure I don't have to explain the dangers of that!