I found a switched live for my gauges

Flynn

Okay since the other thread got a bit cluttered I decided I would make another for my latest breakthrough. I was out testing with the multimetre and I found a relay plug which has a live feed that comes on when I turn on the ignition. Below is the beauty I'm talking about:

post-45740-137914461236_thumb.jpg

The top one is the live, all the other connectors are dead. I even tested it with the backlight from my oil gauge and it lite up nicely:) I now have two questions regarding this socket:

1. Can I get a plug that I can solder onto the end of the oil gauge wire and then simply plug it in, not having to solder it permanently to this socket? Or can I adapt a relay to solder to my gauge wiring and then plug that in?

2. I would like to run three gauges in total (oil temp, intake temp and turbo) so would it be possible to supply 12v to all of these gauges (not forgetting the backlights)? Or is there only power enough for one?

Why would you possibly want to run all those extra gauges?

It's a solid family hatchback, not a Rally car.

To be fair, I'm guessing Flynn is young and probably likes making his car individual. And this is his way of doing so.

I agree it's pointless but it's something for him to plitter away with and let's him try out his new tools.

Why would you possibly want to run all those extra gauges?

It's a solid family hatchback, not a Rally car.

Well yes but I drive harder than your average owner of this type of car so it is good to know this information when you are driving in a way that you wouldn't normally. Also I am going to turn up the fuel pump and turbo which means monitoring these things is absolutely essential since you are in relatively unknown territory (even though quite a lot of people have tuned these engines without much trouble).

Flynn - google "tapa-circuit". It may be a useful easy solution for you.

Just done a Google and they look like a good solution but they don't seem to be available here. Do you not know of anything that will plug into that slot though? What about a blade connector?

To be fair, I'm guessing Flynn is young and probably likes making his car individual. And this is his way of doing so.

I agree it's pointless but it's something for him to plitter away with and let's him try out his new tools.

lol mate it is not pointless. Kinda important to know the psi your turbo is making because if it's making too much on a standard intercooler it will be operating far out of it's efficiency range and possibly destroy the turbo if the temperatures are too high.

Edited by Flynn

lol mate it is not pointless. Kinda important to know the psi your turbo is making because if it's making too much on a standard intercooler it will be operating far out of it's efficiency range and possibly destroy the turbo if the temperatures are too high.

Ah, I see, I dont half learn some good stuff from these forums..................

Just done a Google and they look like a good solution but they don't seem to be available here. Do you not know of anything that will plug into that slot though? What about a blade connector?

Are you trying hard to be so fecking useless?

It was the first hit on my Google search : https://www.europaspares.com/ELECTRICAL/FUSES_and_BOXES/TAPA_CIRCUIT_DUAL_FUSE_HOLDER_5326.html

Your best bet is to try and take an ignition switched live from the stereo feed, that way your wiring won't have to be too long.

Providing the current draw is ok then you could probably run 3 gauges but it's a very messy way of doing things. Your best bet is to buy one gauge that can display everything you want/need.

Hello mate, yeah those gauges that have multiple displays are 1. very expensive and 2. don't fit in with my mostly analogue interior. That relay plug is right near the steering column so it's pretty much as close as I can get, the radio would be a lot further away. If I overload the supply what is likely to happen?

Go to Halfords, tell them what you are doing and that you need an inline fuse, they will sort you out.

They also sell a wide variety of tasteful decals and accessories should you wish to add any further personal touches to your car.

Does it need to be 5 amps? Can I get it at any of the following:

• Europarts
  • Unipart
  • SC motorfactors
  • Interpart

Edit: heh, heh. I just noticed your Halfords jibe you cheeky git

:D Thankfully I've got better taste than Ripspeed. Not your typical 'chrome flames around the wheel arch' type of guy you see.

Edit: Just looked on the Halfrauds website. They don't have any inline fuses, a search returned no results. If the circuit was overloaded wouldn't it just blow the main fuse for that circuit?

If you have to ask that question then it's probably best that you put down the screwdrivers and step away from the car.

Really helpful advice:rolleyes: Sorry, but I wasn't born with mechanical knowledge like you must have been. I wonder how anyone would learn anything if they took that approach.

Edited by Flynn

I just found these:

'Add a Circuit' blade fuse holder

If I put a fuse into that holder will it act as a fuse on the circuit? That will solve two problems in one if that's the case. I found it by Googling 'add a circuit' which is a suggestion that I found on a topic off another forum.

That's nice and friendly from a newbie after being asked a reasonable question. <shrug>

I think it's all between you and your car so go get on with it.

He had no right to know. It's not a reasonable question as to whether or not I inform my insurance.