Advice please

pro coe

Hi Guys,

first off great forum and great advice from you Guys, Ive had my Golf R32 mk5 for six months now its on a 57plate just done 20,000 its a manual and drives great, Iam getting a milltek nonres catback and i have enough money for a remap now would AMD be the best for me to go to? Also would i need to change the filter to as you can tel dont know much about cars but i love my 32 best car ive had. Thanks so much for your help guys..

Welcome to Tyresmoke +++

Hi. Depends where in the country you are. AmD if you're in the South, or APS Brackley if you're in the Midlands.

Are you sure you want the non-res centre section. I ran a non-res on my Mk4 R32 and it was way too loud. Resonated centre section and you can still hear the exhaust, but it's not chavtastic. Adding a K&N or Green Cotton filter wouldn't make any significant difference that you'd notice and the remap wouldn't be set up to take advantage of it.

If you wanted to add 3-4 bhp more to it, then fit a cold air intake (CAI) - not sure who makes one for the Mk5 R32 though.

Are you sure you want a non res Milltek? I've heard a couple in person and would hate for my car to sound like that. Far, far, far, far too loud and boomy. The resonated cat back on the other hand I think sounds great. That's why I bought one :)

If you wanted to go down the CAI route then there's Gruppe M (fecking expensive) and EVOMS (or Evolution Motorsport as they're actually called) amongst others. I've got an EVOMS kit on my R32. For panel filters stay away from the K&N filters, apparently they have a habit of leaching oil into the MAF and killing the probe. Pipercross are a good option.

I can't comment on AMD as I've never used them but I've used APS in Brackley loads of times and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Don't go expecting miracles form a remap, it'll smooth out the power curve a bit which will make it easier and more predictable to drive but it won't give much real world power increase.

At one stage I had a stage 1 Revo on my R32 which was nice, it gave it a bit more mid range grunt. I then went a bit further and had a set of Schrick cams installed and a custom remap. All done by the boys at APS.