First soldered joint

Flynn

Just to let you know I received my connectors and soldering kit in the mail today:) I followed advice from whoever said to cut the crimp connectors on the fuse connectors and cut the ****er off and soldered it to a longer peice of wire. Thanks to whoever gave me the link to the Ebay soldering kit, it's perfect. The soldering work is messy but strong. Who cares its not done for looks is it? Won't see anything when the heat shrink is on. Now I just need to go down halfords to get some heat shrink and I'm properly underway:) Will I be okay using the live feed for both the gauge and the backlight? I would take pictures but because its dark the pictures come out super bright from the flash. Thanks for the advice you guys gave me+++

I posted the link to the soldering iron on ebay .... as an example of how cheap they can be. It certainly wasn't a recommendation. Glad it's ok but watch out coz the ends sometimes get hot.

Oh and if you don't have a 50A fuse, bang a nail in there instead.

Thanks mate I'll go along with that then. If the 20 amp fuse blows can I just wire up a fuse from a household plug into it? Also is it really necessary to disconnect the battery before working on it? I just can't be bothered reprogramming everything (clock and radio).

Choosing fuses based on their cost is a great way to proceed. Much better than adding up the draw and using a suitably sized fuse.

+++

My Dad was an auto-electrician and said 99% of car manufacturers make their fuse boxes to conform with an uwritten rule of colour sequence so you can be pretty sure of what you need to fill a slot.

He taught me the saying to remember the colour sequence:

Radge

Old

Blokes

Yell (at)

Puffs'

Goaties

= Red, Orange, Blue, Yellow, Purple/Pink, Green

So if you have a space between an orange and a yellow fuse, you can be 99% certain it should be filled with a blue one (whatever amperage that happens to be). Simples +++

My Dad was an auto-electrician and said 99% of car manufacturers make their fuse boxes to conform with an uwritten rule of colour sequence so you can be pretty sure of what you need to fill a slot.

He taught me the saying to remember the colour sequence:

Radge

Old

Blokes

Yell (at)

Puffs'

Goaties

= Red, Orange, Blue, Yellow, Purple/Pink, Green

So if you have a space between an orange and a yellow fuse, you can be 99% certain it should be filled with a blue one (whatever amperage that happens to be). Simples +++

The more I read that, the more I'm starting to actually believe it. Weird.