Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
theduisbergkid

Finally, a modern Audi that impressed me ! A day in an A1 1.4TFSI.

17 posts in this topic

Dead quick write-up as real work beckons...

I'm increasingly hard to please nowadays, especially with cars. A car needs a proper USP to really get my attention. While I appreciate that there are many on here with Audi-blinkers on, I still generally (rightly on wrongly) see 'em generally as up-badged VWs, and whilst I don't dislike 'em, they certainly don't impress me. Until yesterday.

I had a new Audi A1 1.4 TFSI for the day. Manual 5 speed box, dunno what trim level but it had all the bits apart from leather. The exterior styling (black car) was forgettable, but the inside was really well finished, the other end of the spectrum from the rotten MG6 from the other week.

The steering felt 'electric' and was too light/sensitive for me, but the ride was fantastic (15" wheels), the brakes were superb, and the engine was rather special. For those who haven't driven a TFSI engined car, it has a really broad spread of torque, and for a small engine in a (probably) heavy car, it didn't run out of steam. The stop-start thing was disconcerting at first, but was good enough not to annoy. Decent seats, decent stereo, a really nice package overall.

Cornering ? Not as much steering feel as I'm used to, but it could really be chucked into corners with confidence, balance felt good for a FWD car too.

What really impressed me though, was the fuel consumption. I did 204 Km (driving it hard) and only had to put 11 litres of fuel in. I'm crap with numbers but with some fag packet maths that equates to 71 MPG I think. Is that right ? 71 MPG ?!! Can someone with a calculator double check that ?

Overall, a worthy (if stylistically understated) competitor to a top-end Mini and the standard 1 series diesels. I'd like to try it back to back versus a 1er and see how they compare.

Anyone else tried one ? Thoughts ?

Aaaah, thanks. Still bloody good for a petrol engined car driven hard.

Now, how about sticking that engine in a Lupo Gti, and getting Shark Performance to breathe on it... :)

Aaaah, thanks. Still bloody good for a petrol engined car driven hard.

Now, how about sticking that engine in a Lupo Gti, and getting Shark Performance to breathe on it... :)

I think the new Fabia VRS has that engine, and probably a Polo of some description.

15" wheels? Depending upon tyre profile, that could make for quite a cheap tyre replacement cost. Another good thing with all these 50/40/35/30 profile bands usually fitted.

Nice review Mr Review Stig.......... err TDK!

Nice review Mr Review Stig.......... err TDK!

Review Stig has fooked up his password/email, so you get me instead, this is just an outpouring of thoughts as opposed to a review. +++

The A1 is one ugly mofo - the back is just wrong, looks like it has a nappy on and has just taken a dump!

It's not a car I particularly like, but I've not driven one, and never likely to really as it's not the sort of car I'd ever buy, and I also think it looks wrong.

Not to take away from your pleasure of the 1.4 tfsi, but have you driven one of the multi-air engines yet? You'll find it in something with Italian flavour, that's a small engine I really like!

That Fiat 500 Multi-air looks very appealing, although I've not driven one, you know I'm a fan of the 500 anyway. :eclipse:

Which reminds me, fancy another *adventure* late Spring ? Usual format.... :secret:

Which reminds me, fancy another *adventure* late Spring ? Usual format.... :secret:

Sounds interesting!

An A1 pitched up in the next village to ours last week, with a shiny 60 plate on it. It's a TFSI as well, but it's in metallic brown. Brown, FFS :eek:

OK, so not to my taste, but given all the rave reviews about it, I'm going to have to grab one for the day and find out for myself.

Given the choice between the A1 and the new Mini Countryman, which is the size of a small bungalow, purely based on looks, I'd have the A1. But there's so much to choose from in that car size, it'd be a tough choice to decide on the one to have.

I quite like the drive of the A1 also, quite suprised by it, I'm hoping to have a go in one of the 185 versions available now as that should be quite nippy.

I also saw at the weekend a Competition Line specced A1 - that looks quite good, although apparently Audi UK wont let you order the graphics, you have to get them in yourself from GErmany :o

How much space was there in the boot. Is it like the A2? Could you get young kids in the back easy enough? What were the dials like (joking!).

I've just had a proper close up look at one in the showroom and it's not got s boost gauge or an oil temp gauge so I won't be ordering one.

How much space was there in the boot. Is it like the A2? Could you get young kids in the back easy enough? What were the dials like (joking!).

Boot space was 'OK' Luke, I've not been in the boot of an A2 so can't compare. Rear legroom was OK but not brilliant and (in the car I had, anyway), the middle 'seat' squab was a tray/drinksholder, which makes it a 4 seater only.

It isnt a replacement for the A2, boot space and rear space are significantly limited by comparison, it would make a good second car, but youd struggle with size as an only car, whereas our A2 did very well for us and there is no way my suitcase for holiday would go in the A1 boot, but the A2 was fine.