Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pro coe

milltek non res

26 posts in this topic

I had one on a MkIV R32 and it quickly became tiring, added the res box and it was much easier to live with. I actually thought it sounded better too.

Simple answer. Don't buy non-res - it'll be too loud, everyone will look at you as you chav it up down the road, and you'll soon get very bored of the boominess.

Hi Putting it on Gokf R32 MK5..

What car you thinking of putting it on?

I had a cat-back resonated system on the S4 Avant... it has to be THE best sounding car I've had (and I've had one or two...)

Think you're best getting a resonated system, the MK5 R32 will sound bloody lovely. Not sure how VAG make their V6 and V8's sound so good... O/T but are they 90 degree V's or 60? Could explain their sexy growl if they're a 60.

One other point with the resonators fitted, you'll get less drone inside the car.

Thanks Mate i go with resonated system be best for me and like you said still sounds great..

Just to balance, I went non-res - is there such a thing as too loud?! +++

O/T but are they 90 degree V's or 60? Could explain their sexy growl if they're a 60.

Neither, they're 15 degree. Extremely narrow angled.

Just to balance, I went non-res - is there such a thing as too loud?! +++

Where there's no sense, there's no hearing... ;)

You have turbos to quieten it down, so best option in non-res there...

Neither, they're 15 degree. Extremely narrow angled.

Wow! Both the V6 & V8? The BM V's are all 90 degree...

Wow! Both the V6 & V8? The BM V's are all 90 degree...

I missed the bit about the V8, it's just the VR6 that's a 15 degree. I can't remember what the vee angle on the V8's are.

I missed the bit about the V8, it's just the VR6 that's a 15 degree. I can't remember what the vee angle on the V8's are.

That explains the great sound from the VAG V6's then... three cylinders just out of kilter firing order wise... nice :)

Far nicer sound to the BM straight 6 IMO. +++

Actually the VR6 uses the same firing order (1-5-3-6-2-4) as a most (all?) straight six lumps.

But yeah, it's a great sounding engine, one of the best 6 pots around.

Actually the VR6 uses the same firing order (1-5-3-6-2-4) as a most (all?) straight six lumps.

Yeah firing order is same, but 15 degree ofset will creat a different firing 'time'. Like on a Scuby boxer, always sounds 'odd' compared to an in-line four.

Yeah firing order is same, but 15 degree ofset will creat a different firing 'time'. Like on a Scuby boxer, always sounds 'odd' compared to an in-line four.

Not with equal length manifold, like mine's got. It really does sound like an in-line four pot, albeit it a bit louder than stock with some added, erm, Milltek :uhoh:

Not with equal length manifold, like mine's got. It really does sound like an in-line four pot

Unlucky! :P

If there was one thing (and it really is one thing) I would change on the car, it's to add flat four burble. It's this whole new-fangled twin-scroll super-efficient turbo malarky that dictates equal length. But then with a burble I wouldn't get the power it delivers now or the mpg - 32mpg at a steady 80-85 up to Yorkshire and back this weekend, 4 up with luggage :eek:

OK, so it dips a lot lower than that when you push it hard (what doesn't), but try that power output and mpg combo in an Evo :roflmao:

I have one fitted to my E30 M3 and it sounds lovely. Many positive comments!

Although at first it did make the gear stick rattle quite markedly (ended up taking the gear level gaiter off and putting some blutac on the top of the lever). Old Skool solution to an Old Skool problem I guess.

If it was a valved system then I would suggest non-res; it's what a lot of the RS4 owners have only because they can then close it off when it may become obtrusive around town / first thing in the morning etc.

If no valve operation then like others have said it may be too much on a day to day proposition if that is your only car.

Ah I see, lurker eh? You still got the RS4? I've not seen you on the roads for as long as I can recall so didn't know if you'd changed it?

Still got it and no plans to change it, bought another car to do the commute in so the RS doesn't get abused as much as previously. Not lurking as such, just not a lot to positively contribute.

Ah I see. How many miles has the RS done now? I guess that V8 will see many hundreds of thousands in without any problems and I seem to recall it was at about 40k 3-4 years ago so it probably has a long way to go before it starts to cause issues yet.

On the positive contributions side of things, me neither.:roflmao: