Vibration/Shuddering problems in Audi A4 Quattro

carolynp

Hello, please can someone help put an end to my misery!

My Audi A4 Convertible suddenly started vibrating in November, it is now back in the garage and they can find nothing wrong with it.

I can feel a vibration/shuddering sensation from 30mph but it gets much worse from 60mph to 80mph - so bad that I feel like I'm being shaken about it the car. It feels like something has come loose and shudders so bad that I now have a serious lower back problem! I do a lot of motorway driving - in one single day I can spent between 5 and 8 hours in my car...

I have had the wheels balanced now 6 times, tracking done twice, had the wheels checked to see if alloys were bent - they're 100% perfect, have changed the wheels over completely with a different set, had the shocks done, new tyres, I have tried absolutely everything.

I have read on here it could be the drive shaft, transmission problems?

Please can someone help?

Giving us a bit more info would help, is it a B6 or B7, i.e. old or new shape, B6 from 2002 to late 2005, B7 2006 to 2009. What engine, is it 2wd or quattro?....

With the list of things you've already tried I can only think it could be, as you say, a damaged drive shaft but I'd expect to hear knocking if that was the case, or a broken spring but if you've had the shocks changed then they would have spotted if one was broken, or perhaps a damaged suspension arm or bush as A4's are renowned for this on the front end.

I know - it feels really dangerous when I drive it and I spend a minimum of 5-7 hours in my car on each trip to work twice a week. I'm petrified something is badly wrong with it...so you think it may be the prop shaft? Would they have noticed that when they looked at the drive shaft?

I can feel it all the time, but it's really bad from 50/60mph to 80mph, I have not driven it over 80mph as it feels so dangerous...when I'm doing around 75mph for example, the rear view mirror is literally shuddering from side to side. It's such a rough ride, it shouldn't be like that...it should be really smooth - even though it is an s-line, it shouldn't shudder like that...do you know what it could be?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

That has been all done over the last few weeks.

Got rear wheels balanced twice, even bought an new tyre as one wasn't as round as we liked it, and the car got alligned.

I swapped the rear wheels one by one with the spare wheel and obviously did test drives in between.

Same problem, same shudder/vibration at the same speed.

We are still trouble shooting but are now expecting something to do with suspension etc.

There is a lot of talks on forums about this problem (and I'm sure it's mostly tyre related) but I haven't come across a possible solution other than drive shaft unbalance, control arms, bushes etc..........

Well I've got the same problem and my cars goin in on Monday to be checked out. Guy is going to check the engine mounts 1st then onto the flywheel. Mine does it all the time even at stand still.

Ill keep you informed so it might help.

Gray

What mileage is yours? Clutches and flywheel changes are not uncommon on the V8 S4 and RS4 with as little as 50k on the clock. Mine was done at 63k. Insist on the genuine dual mass flywheel. Invoice for mine shows £660 + vat for the flywheel alone!

It's got 73k it happened on the journey home from buying it from the garage but I had to go away on holiday the same day. The garage agrees to pay and said to book it in. Which it will be going in on Monday. I'm happy for a new clutch and flywheel :) aslong as it doesn't cost me.

Its also having another slight problem looked at. When you turn on full lock and low speed it feels like the front end is fighting the back end. Almost a slight judder from the diff or something??

Just make sure you get the paperwork in case of any issues afterwards. Deliver one of these V8s to Audi for a clutch and the bill is over 2k.

All the quattros have front end judder on full lock, just the diffs juggling the drive, mine clonks like a bitch pulling out my driveway, was worse on old tyres and better on new, but to quote that old nugget, "They all do that Sir."