Damn these r's are quick!

Woppum

I've been really blowing out the cobwebs in the rocky of late. I have a good play with a am vantage v8 and there is not much in between it at all between 80-130. Vag really have done something very clever with this engine. What are everyones experience of remaps or is that just greedy?

I know the V8 Vantage isn't what it perhaps should be, but I still find it difficult to believe the difference would be as small as you say.

Just the bare bhp per ton figures don't stack up.

V8 Vantage = 262 bhp per ton

Scirocco R = 182 bhp per ton

That's 43% more power per ton - and you say it wasn't much quicker? I say he couldn't drive or was being careful....

p.s. 0-124 mph (200 kph)

The Vantage is almost 5 seconds faster than the Scirocco R going by most sources. We all know how 5 seconds is a big gap visually, hence I'm guessing he was off the gas a bit more than it sounded...

p.p.s.

There is another thing of course. Perhaps he wasn't as good a driver. You've got lots of track time under your belt after all and I would imagine you'd hold a distinct advantage over the average 'Aston' driver in terms of knowing what could be got out of a car.

Edited by MrMe

All of what you say is true although my first post probably is a little over exaggerated regarding the closeness. I said not much in it at all. What i mean is he pulled 3-5 car lengths in that 80-130 burst on the private road. He may not have been trying although he certainly sounded like he did and worked his way through the gears rather than flooring it from 6th. Of course it's also possible that the Aston was not on best form? Either way I have heard of a few owners getting rid due to 'flat spots' and general underpoweredness.

I miss these debates. You are never too old for em ;)

Edited by Woppum

Glad to see you are still enjoying it!

I like it more than ever Matt! Only 4500 miles on it too, but getting far better with age.

Usually I use it during the week then take the rs on the weekend, but in this shitty weather I haven't wanted ti pick up the pork keys! The rocky is a fantastic car.

All of what you say is true although my first post probably is a little over exaggerated regarding the closeness. I said not much in it at all. What i mean is he pulled 3-5 car lengths in that 80-130 burst on the private road. He may not have been trying although he certainly sounded like he did and worked his way through the gears rather than flooring it from 6th. Of course it's also possible that the Aston was not on best form? Either way I have heard of a few owners getting rid due to 'flat spots' and general underpoweredness.

I miss these debates. You are never too old for em ;)

I've never been a fan of the model. It's just not what it should have been in by opinion and I don't like Aston Martin, one of few true heritage brands, having to do trick exhausts - it smacks of feebleness and poor engineering.

Owner reports are very, very poor. I'm sure I wrote something a good 3 or more years ago saying that - they were one of the most disappointed bunch of owners of any brand (the DB9 owners were happy, it was the V8 buyers that were generally very disappointed).

The db9 is a bit of a slow coach too, however you expect it from that as it is supposed to be leaning far more towards cruiser/gt than sports car, which the vantage is supposed to be. I think Aston have failed in terms of performance on all their cars. The DBS and even v12 vantage are not even fast enough by today's standards. The cars are stunning and sounds amazing but they need more power and better technology to really make their mark. In the day a vanquish was a third again kore expensive than a 360 and on par in terms of performance. Today a 458 is a third less expensive than 458 and a good 35% slower to 100. They are left in the wake of today's performance car. Left well behind sadly, and I can't see this changing, ever.