What does your car say about you?

drpellypo

A friend of mine always refers to people by what car they have. So he'll say, "you know, James - with the 5 series" or "Sarah, she's got a focus," rather than using their job title or where they live etc. It made me wonder what other connections we make to people and their cars. If you met someone and got to know them a little, could you guess what car they have? Do people buy cars to match their personality, or do you think there are trends in professions (for instance every personal trainer I've ever met has had either a Porsche or an BMW M.) I'm only 28, but I own an Audi a6 which replaced a VW Passat which I bought when I was 24. Before that I had another Passat. I bought both Passat's when I was a single lad, living at home with mum and dad and a lot of people were shocked that I owned such cars, expecting me to have a hot hatch or the like. But why did they expect this?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I ponce about in a modified (no visual clues of that mind) SEAT Leon Cupra R from 2003 so I'd suggest most people would think I'm a chav. I'm also not far from Staines where I work so I really can't forgive them for that, although in the main it is mostly other chavs on the roads thinking that anyway.

My sister reckoned there was a book in this. When she was doing internet dating, she'd ask her prospective dates what car they drove. She'd then tell me, and I'd give her a profile.

I wasn't often wrong, and on one occasion even managed to tell her the name of the guy's child, just from the make and model of car he drove.

So, yes, your choice of car does say quite a lot about you.

My sister reckoned there was a book in this. When she was doing internet dating, she'd ask her prospective dates what car they drove. She'd then tell me, and I'd give her a profile.

I wasn't often wrong, and on one occasion even managed to tell her the name of the guy's child, just from the make and model of car he drove.

So, yes, your choice of car does say quite a lot about you.

Who did she end up with? What do they drive? :grin:

What are they like? :roflmao:

Who did she end up with? What do they drive? :grin:

What are they like? :roflmao:

He had a company car, which made it harder to get a reading, but I seem to recall she got him to tell her what cars he liked, and from that I predicted he was an engineer (right), couple of late teenage kids (right), dependable (right), slightly reserved but with a sense of humour (right). Anyway, he's a nice bloke.

Hmmm. Legacy says not much about me, unless you know what it is. Same used to apply to the S4 and probably the R32 - unless people knew what they were, they were just another silver Audi estate and just another blue Golf.

The track toy just tells people I lost my marbles a long time ago :grin:

It's when you get people like me that complicate these things.

I have a ten year old Subaru Impreza, but not chavved up at all, just a nice original prodrive WR Sport example, and a new Ford Galaxy, 1.8 diesel.

You couldn't really have two cars that more at the opposite end of the spectrum!

It's when you get people like me that complicate these things.

I have a ten year old Subaru Impreza, but not chavved up at all, just a nice original prodrive WR Sport example, and a new Ford Galaxy, 1.8 diesel.

You couldn't really have two cars that more at the opposite end of the spectrum!

You couldn't, but you could, if you see what I mean. Having a Galaxy without the taxi labels says "look at me - I'm virile and I just shag all the time and these babies keep popping out, which is why I need such a big car", whereas the Scooby says you like your toys.

So there :P

What does my car say about me? Well before anyone else says it, I guess it makes me a b*stard with a tiny c0ck +++

We didn't like to say that.

My old boss (complete a-hole) I tried to guess what he drove when I first met him, I predicted an ageing lexus saloon, a wasn't a million miles away it was an ageing merc saloon (E class) I think. I think you can normally have a good guess at what people drive and get in the right ball park. I alway like to find out what people drive, normally it's something run of the mill but occasionally someone surprised you with something interesting.

Made the decision a long time ago to never judge anyone because of the car they drive, clothes they wear or watch they own etc etc. People think about this too much before they buy something these days and often make decisions based on the way they will be seen by others rather than buying someting because they really like it. It's their loss and I think that speaks more about the person than the item the end up buying.

A few years ago my uncle and his best mate were coming back from a fishing or shooting trip and his best mate wanted to stop and look at the latest Ferrari. They got out of their dirty car (cant remeber what) wearing dirty jeans and t-shirt. They made it as far as the door before two salesman as good as pushed them off the forecourt.

An hour later my uncle and his mate returned, 1 was in a 6 month old Lambo and the other was in 911 Turbo (both uncles friends, 20% of his fleet). Uncles mate said to the salesman as they came rushing towards them, "Thanks mate you have made my mind up to buy an Aston".

Funny thing was he was back at the dealership a week later ordering a 430 Spider.

Made the decision a long time ago to never judge anyone because of the car they drive, clothes they wear or watch they own etc etc. People think about this too much before they buy something these days and often make decisions based on the way they will be seen by others rather than buying someting because they really like it. It's their loss and I think that speaks more about the person than the item the end up buying.

Entirely agree.

Although I can't help speculating that there must be at least some statistical correlation between tossers and Golf GTIs...

:bike:

:grin: