24 members have voted

1. 1. Which is fastest?

• Red
    • Yellow

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just flip a coin. If you don't like it, you'll soon be replacing the panels anyway :grin:

:roflmao: Very true! All the coloured bits are the also the vulnerable ones :grin:

What a big difference it makes having it all one colour, really finishes it off

Last year's price for paint on the metal bits was £950 non-metallic or £1450 metallic. On a race car...? No.

Last year's price for paint on the metal bits was £950 non-metallic or £1450 metallic. On a race car...? No.

You're right there. Feck me that's a lot of ££££

So RED it is +++

I don't think I spunk the £200 on black lights/windscreen either. Cheap and cheerful is defo the way forward on this.

Edited by Drinks

:grin: If I enter it for a 24H race next year, I call you first. Promise.

:jump: I'll start on the carrots tomorrow :grin:

Seriously, hope you'll keep us up to date on how you're getting on, I've just been reading about the Academy stuff and sounds like a great intro to racing. Are you planning to keep it up afterwards? (Have I already missed a thread on this?)

Seriously, hope you'll keep us up to date on how you're getting on, I've just been reading about the Academy stuff and sounds like a great intro to racing. Are you planning to keep it up afterwards?

I'm planning to blog/post the build and the race series as I go along. I reckon if it isn't exciting enough to want to do that, I shouldn't be bothering at all. In any case, you need to have a photographic record of the build to get through the IVA.

As for afterwards, there is a special Caterham Motorsport class (Roadsport B) reserved for the previous year's Academy drivers, which is rather tempting. Or I might try the lower echelons of the Porsche Club motorsport system. Or I could keep it just for trackdays. Or I could convert it to a road specification... Or a Superlight might beckon... Or, or, or :grin:

That is very definitely a decision for the end of 2012, though!

What other options are available?

At 2011 season prices:

Car & Academy package £18,500.00

Factory build £3,000.00

Weather eqmt £455.00

Sidescreens only £290.00

Tonneau cover £215.00

Black Pack £215.00 (headlight bowls & windscreen surround)

Driver's race seat £355.00 (standard equipment is no seats at all! If you're really tall, there is a moulded cushion option at £220...:grin:)

Passenger race seat £355.00

Momo Quick Release column £270.00

Push-button start £45.00

Lowered floors x2 £320.00

Passenger 4pt harness £130.00 (Driver's 6pt harness is standard)

Non met paint £950.00

Met paint £1,450.00-£1,750 depending on the colour chosen

Painted noseband £100.00

2012 season prices will be a bit higher in view of the VAT rise and inflation; I was told £500ish.

How much fettling, post IVA, is required to get past scrutineering? Is it just padding to rollbars, tape up lights etc. and that's it, or a big long to do list?

I believe it's just the tape for the headlights. The car is meant to be race-ready, & comes with driver's arm & head restraints, FIA roll cage, battery master switch, plumbed-in fire extinguisher, no carpets, & no heater...

Edited by patently

All joking aside, I'm going back to my original advice, which is to build a car that does the job of racing, not looking like it should be sat in a showroom.

Do NOT piss your money away deciding on black mirrors and painted nose cones. Build it. Drive it. Enjoy it.

If you want it to become a garage queen after you've done your first season, then do that. Racing is decking expensive enough without having to worry whether your lipstick will match the colour of the threads in your seat covers ;)

Is that road legal or a trailer everywhere job?

The car is 100% road legal, and Caterham prefer you to drive the car to the race. Yes, garcon is right, there is always the risk that the car won't be driveable by the end of the day, but Caterham bring their big truck to all the meetings, and will take it back to their workshop to fix it for you (if possible...). You can then collect it from them or have them deliver it to the next race for you. You still have to get yourself home, though... :uhoh:

What they do if there's a massive pile-up and 27 cars need taking home, I don't know :roflmao:

And what colour race suit? Red or yellow? :grin:

Oh, that just has to be white. To go with the white lid I already have, of course :grin:

All joking aside, I'm going back to my original advice, which is to build a car that does the job of racing, not looking like it should be sat in a showroom.

Do NOT piss your money away deciding on black mirrors and painted nose cones. Build it. Drive it. Enjoy it.

There's a lot of sense in that. That is also the "reasoning" behind the tongue in cheek format of the question; this car is not about being pretty, it is about being fast. If I do tart it up, it will be done cheaply under my own effort, not by throwing wads of notes at Caterham. So I'm thinking of a fairly minimal spec of:

Weather eqmt (so that I can drive it there in iffy weather)

Driver's race seat (kind of essential)

Momo Quick Release column (makes a big difference getting in & out)

Lowered floors x2 (improves handling, apparently)

Passenger race seat & 4pt harness (the only "luxury". You have to take people out & about in it from time to time...)

Passenger seat essential for giving passenger rides/scaring the living sh*t out of people at trackdays. +++

Wasn't aware of the Caterham set up re shipping the car if necessary - very useful, you just need to persuade someone to attend races with you who can drive you home if needed!

I can also speak from experience that in the heat of battle, a driver finds it extremely useful to have someone relatively calm looking after the simple things for them during the weekend - like making sure they're in the right place at the right time for briefing, practice, quali etc, getting forms signed and into CoC, scouring the paddock to borrow a battery drill etc etc.

(I was that person, not the driver. :grin: )

Right, so here is the basic Caterham Academy car:

You can in fact have the whole car done in whatever paint job you want, but that costs £££s and just makes repairs harder. So mine will be in the basic colour scheme - but I can't decide whether to go for red or yellow.

Unfortunately on a Caterham it's the bits that stick out and get wacked that are painted as standard, the alloy body is rarely touched. Many years ago I raced a Caterham (in the days when it was classes A, B and C with Ford Kent engines) and we got through a few rear wheel arches but never replaced any of the ally panels and I don't remember ever seeing one damaged other than when the crash was so bad it damaged the chassis (v. rare).

Yellow all the way :)

Passenger seat essential for giving passenger rides/scaring the living sh*t out of people at trackdays. +++

Wasn't aware of the Caterham set up re shipping the car if necessary - very useful, you just need to persuade someone to attend races with you who can drive you home if needed!

I can also speak from experience that in the heat of battle, a driver finds it extremely useful to have someone relatively calm looking after the simple things for them during the weekend - like making sure they're in the right place at the right time for briefing, practice, quali etc, getting forms signed and into CoC, scouring the paddock to borrow a battery drill etc etc.

(I was that person, not the driver. :grin: )

That was me too. I loved doing the car prep and running around on race days :D God I miss it :(

Further to my previous post, here are the confirmed prices for 2012:

Car & Academy package £19, 450.00

Factory build £3,000.00

Weather eqmt £465.00

Sidescreens only £295.00

Tonneau cover £220.00

Black Pack £220.00 (headlight bowls & windscreen surround)

Driver's race seat £365.00 (moulded cushion option for tall drivers, £245...)

Passenger race seat £365.00

Momo Quick Release column £275.00

Push-button start £45.00

Lowered floors x2 ---now standard----

Passenger 4pt harness £130.00 (Driver's 6pt harness is standard)

Non met paint £975.00

Met paint £1,480.00-£1,780 depending on the colour chosen

Painted noseband £100.00

Generally, this seems to be 2011 prices plus £500 for the car, but lowered floors now standard (was £320), plus the VAT change, rounded to the nearest £5.