A6 Avant interior light comes on as if by magic

hi all, anyone got any ideas as to why the interior lights would come on on their own whilst i am driving. after a short time of locking and unlocking the doors they seem to go back to normal for a while then do it again. can any one shed any light on the matter.

Does the DIS show a door open display?

Sounds to me like one of the door locks is playing up, the switch that triggers the light is built-in to the door lock - it may just be a case of adjusting it, once you have worked out which one it is.

it be the drivers door ithink, courtesy light doesnt come on when i open it. never noticed before as im not often in it when its dark.

does this mean i need a new lock? if so where is the best place to get one? or do i just need to fiddle about with it

An Audi dealer will tell you you need a new lock, but many people have found they can adjust the switch without needing to replace the lock.

The Lock on the A6 is just a barrel and not integral tot he switching unit. You will need to remove the door card (only a few screws, one is behind the tweeter grille) and you will see the door lock controller where the microswitch is

It's like that on the A3 & A4 too - the "lock" on the outside is just a key barrel, which is connected to the actual lock on the back face of the door.