Pug 206 GTi 1.6..

330dcoupe

Hi all,

A little while back, i thought I had decided on a 106 GTi - but have now changed my mind and am in the middle of trying to negotiate a price for a 205 GTi. It's black and in mint condition - but I can't find how much the tax will be for this car - a year.

Answers on a post card would be much appreciated.

By the way - is it a good choice?

Rattly top ends and rust are the killers on them. My '91 Golf GTI 16v is £185 a year (even with its 20v turbo lump), so I'd imagine it's a similar rate for the Pug +++

Weirdly, as a JDM import, my Legacy is the same annual rate, because it doesn't have an official CO2 rating.

Great choice. Light and fairly quick.

But no-one would get that over a 1.9 would they?

According to Clarkson, they were both equally as good. As well as buying it as an occasional run around - I could probably say that it's a safe investment too. Parts are easily obtainable and I don't have to worry about it having a main dealer SH or fanny about with it

If I want straight line speed - then I wouldn't really be buying either -tbh. Suppose it's just the nicely of owning an icon.

I had a 205CTI (convertible).

I really liked the engine - loved to rev and it got hell. The engine was the best bit about the car. The electrics were fragile. You could rag it hard and would always sound great month in month out. I found it rather arse end happy - in those days you could 'nip & tuck' as the roads were quieter but you had to be careful when 'tucking' in the wet. I was caught out a couple of time and found myself out of shape in such circumstances. I read somewhere not so long ago that the advancements made in tyre technology have pretty much eliminated the 205's rear end wild side - fit modern rubber and it handles even better!

I loved the car - drove it hard then...flogged it to my sister lol