Geneva 2011: Audi RS3 Sportback - press release + pictures

Andy_Bangle

Big performance in a small package: the Audi RS 3 Sportback

Five-cylinder turbo delivering 250 kW (340 hp) and 450 Nm (331.90 lb-ft) of torque

Zero to 100 km/h (62.14 mph) in 4.6 seconds, superior pulling power

Seven-speed S tronic, quattro drive and 19-inch wheels

Ingolstadt, November 22, 2010 – Blazing performance, compact size. Audi has added a new model to its dynamic RS series: the RS 3 Sportback. In the great tradition of the brand, its engine boasts five cylinders and turbocharging technology. From a displacement of 2.5 liters come 250 kW (340 hp) of power and 450 Nm (331.90 lb-ft) of torque, with an average fuel consumption of just 9.1 liters of fuel per 100 km (25.85 US mpg).

Power is transmitted to the road via a seven-speed S tronic and quattro permanent all-wheel drive. 19-inch wheels and fenders made of carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP) underscore the Audi RS 3 Sportback's position of distinction.

Power and sound: the engine

Each Audi RS model represents the pinnacle of its model line – the RS 3 Sportback, developed by quattro GmbH, now brings this dynamic philosophy to the compact category. It rockets from a dead stop to 100 km/h (62.14 mph) in 4.6 seconds – a performance figure unrivaled by the competition. Top speed is electronically limited to 250 km/h (155.34 mph). Even so the compact car, weighing in at only 1,575 kilograms (3,472.28 pounds), uses on average just 9.1 liters of fuel per 100 km (25.85 US mpg) and emits 212 g CO2 per km (341.18 g/mile). This efficiency is due in large part to a delivery-on-demand oil pump and a regenerative system that recovers energy as the car decelerates.

The 2.5-liter engine in the RS 3 Sportback will thrill passengers thanks to its tremendous pulling power and its voracious revving up to 6,800 rpm. The guttural roaring and growling, backed by the signature rhythm of the five-cylinder firing order make up the classic Audi soundtrack. A sound flap in the exhaust branch intensifies the sound even further. The flap is controlled via the standard Sport button, which also varies the engine response.

Powerful five-cylinder engines have a long legacy at Audi. In the 1980s, racing cars and production cars used them to edge out the competition. Even the first Audi RS model, the 1994 RS 2, had a five-cylinder engine. The 2.5-liter unit, already part of the TT RS specifications, now redefines the state of the art, having recently been named "International Engine of the Year" by a high-ranking jury of automotive journalists.

The 2.5 TFSI delivers 250 kW (340 hp) from a displacement of 2,480 cc: a specific power output of 100.8 kW (137.1 hp) per liter. The maximum torque of 450 Nm (331.90 lb-ft) is readily available at the low end of the rev range, around 1,600 rpm, and remains constant up to 5,300 revolutions. These general parameters yield excellent acceleration and elasticity values.

Just 49 centimeters (19.29 inches) in length, the five-cylinder unit is ultra-compact, tipping the scales at a mere 183 kilograms (403.45 pounds). The crankcase is made of vermicular-graphite cast iron, a high-strength yet lightweight material. Audi is the first car maker to use this material in a gasoline engine. Perfectly placed reinforcements further enhance the block's loadability. The lightweight-design concept keeps the Audi RS 3 Sportback's weight in check and pays off big in terms of axle-load distribution and, ultimately, handling.

The large turbocharger generates up to 1.2 bar of boost pressure. The intercooler downstream achieves an efficiency rate of over 80 percent. Like all Audi gasoline turbos, the 2.5 TFSI combines turbocharging technology with FSI direct injection. The marriage of these two technologies facilitates a high compression ratio (10.0:1) along with a correspondingly high efficiency ratio. Flaps in the intake tract mix the air as it flows in. The two camshafts, each adjustable by 42 degrees of crankshaft rotation, also enhance the efficiency of the mixture formation.

Speed and grip: the drivetrain The compact seven-speed S tronic transmits power from the five-cylinder engine via three shafts: one drive shaft and two output shafts. Like all dual-clutch transmissions, it comprises two transmission structures. The shifting process is extremely smooth, taking place in hundredths of a second as the clutches switch, with no perceptible interruption of pulling power. Seventh gear is very tall – a measure that reduces fuel consumption.

The driver can operate the seven-gear S tronic in two automatic modes and one manual mode. Gears are shifted using the paddles on the steering wheel or the selector lever. The launch control system manages the sprint from a dead stop, furnishing explosive turbo power with minimal tire slip.

Delivering power to the road with effortless ease, the quattro permanent all-wheel drive grants the RS 3 Sportback traction, dynamics, and stability. Its central component is an electronically controlled multi-plate clutch, mounted at the end of the propeller shaft to achieve a favorable axle load distribution. Located in its interior is a plate package bathed in oil.

Thanks to quattro, the propulsive power can be distributed to each axle as needed.

Whenever slip occurs at one of the axles, an electric pump intervenes at lightning speed to increase the oil pressure. The pump presses the clutch plates together in a continuous fashion, thereby permitting the torque to be redirected accordingly.

Thanks to a powerful accumulator, this process takes just a few milliseconds.

Dynamics and safety: the chassis

The stiff body lays the cornerstone for the RS 3 Sportback's precise handling; the chassis is what makes it happen. The four-link rear suspension – with a track measuring 1,528 millimeters (60.16 inches) – is anchored to a subframe and features high-strength-steel control arms that allow it to handle longitudinal and lateral forces separately.

Widened to a 1,564-millimeter (61.57-inch) track, the front suspension is a McPherson strut construction, also with a separate subframe. Key components of the construction are made of aluminum. Thanks to its electromechanical drive, the rack-and-pinion steering is highly efficient, with a sporty-direct gear ratio of 16.2:1.

Coil springs and redesigned shock absorbers provide the vertical support. The sports suspension lowers the body of the RS 3 Sportback by 25 millimeters (0.98 inch) compared with the A3. The new range-topping model in the A3 series boasts 19-inch cast aluminum wheels fitted with 235/35 series tires at the front and 225/35 at the rear. The wheels come standard with machine-polished titanium-look styling, but are optionally available in black with a red rim flange.

The internally ventilated disks measure 370 millimeters (14.57 inches) in diameter at the front and 310 millimeters (12.20 inches) at the rear. The front friction rings are perforated for maximum heat dissipation. They are connected by hollow pins to the aluminum brake disk covers, which are encircled by four-piston fixed calipers painted a high-gloss black and bearing RS logos. The electronic stabilization program (ESP) features a Sport mode and can be switched off entirely.

Precisely guided by its responsive steering, the RS 3 Sportback eagerly takes to curves and exits them with agility, stability, and serenity. The stability limit is extremely high, an effortless mastery that rounds off the character of this powerful compact car.

Interior and exterior: dynamic styling

The new top-of-the-line model in the A3 series hints at its explosive potential from the very first glimpse. Together with the xenon plus headlights, the front apron, the anthracite single-frame grill with diamond-patterned styling and the air intakes cut a distinctive figure.

The side view is dominated by the flared front fenders made of carbon-fiber-reinforced plastic (CFRP), prominent sill panels, exterior-mirror casings in matt aluminum look and a large roof spoiler. A high-gloss black diffusor insert and two elliptical exhaust tailpipes on the left accentuate the styling at the rear. RS 3 badges adorn the single-frame grill and the rear hatch.

The dynamic style is matched in the interior, entirely black and sporting a number of RS 3 logos. The sports seats are upholstered in Fine Nappa leather with silver contrasting stitching; the inlays gleam in Piano finish black or the new Aluminum Race look; the leather multifunction sports steering wheel is flat-bottomed. The selector lever and instruments are specially designed. The driver information system can display the boost pressure and oil temperature as well as a lap timer.

The RS 3 Sportback comes with an array of standard equipment including the Sport button, rear parking system, climate control, chorus radio system, and xenon plus headlights with LED daytime running lights. Audi offers customers a range of optional features: front bucket seats, roof rails in matt aluminum look, and styling packages in black or matt aluminum. Five exterior colors are available, plus an unlimited selection of custom paint finishes.

The new top-of-the-line model in the A3 series is already the fourth Audi model to be built at Audi Hungaria in Gy?r, where it is rolling off the assembly line alongside the TT Coupé, the TT Roadster and the A3 Cabriolet.

Deliveries of the RS 3 Sportback will begin in early 2011. The base price in Germany will be 49,900 euros.

post-2214-13791446483_thumb.jpg

post-2214-137914464833_thumb.jpg

post-2214-137914464837_thumb.jpg

post-2214-137914464841_thumb.jpg

post-2214-137914464844_thumb.jpg

post-2214-137914464848_thumb.jpg

post-2214-137914464852_thumb.jpg

post-2214-137914464855_thumb.jpg

post-2214-137914464859_thumb.jpg

post-2214-137914464863_thumb.jpg

post-2214-137914464866_thumb.jpg

post-2214-13791446487_thumb.jpg

post-2214-137914464874_thumb.jpg

Too expensive, too late and very dated :coffee:

Do you know what.....I have looked at these pictures and could not agree more..........should have been three door, full stop!

Feck Audi,this car may perform and handle, we still dont know,as there appears to be a distinct lack of press cars or independent testing............ but it really is fecking pig ugly in SB format, and boy does it look old now, I hate to say it, but the BM series 1 has aged much better than this bus, and that really was the ugliest mother when it first came out

I am cancelling my order first thing tomorrow...........dont care if it goes and handles like a 458......if Audi cannot be bothered to listen to there core customers when they are spending 40K of there hard earned, and at least give us a manual three door option, then they can just naff off...........

Do you know what.....I have looked at these pictures and could not agree more..........should have been three door, full stop!

Feck Audi,this car may perform and handle, we still dont know,as there appears to be a distinct lack of press cars or independent testing............ but it really is fecking pig ugly in SB format, and boy does it look old now, I hate to say it, but the BM series 1 has aged much better than this bus, and that really was the ugliest mother when it first came out

In YOUR opinion, I'm not in the market for such a motor but I'd personally much prefer it in Sportback form. As for its existence, we all complain that they don't do it, they do and put a stonkingly good sounding and quick engine in it and we all still fecking complain.... :ffs: Its expensive yes but at least they had the balls to do it in these super eco times.

+1

I'm after 5 door not 3 door. And would have taken the DSG option if I'd had to make the choice.

All about the drive for me....if it's good then I'll probably buy.

As for expensive, is it? No more so than the competition. I don't think it's fair to say that this combination doesn't suit their customer base, sales would indiciate it does.

Edited by ahankins

I never said this car was expensive..........just pig ugly

And if you are in the market for a performance 5 door Audi with S Tronic, just look at the choice available...........

My point is why no choice?? how feckin hard can it be to build this car in 3 door given the under pinnings are identical and the only body part which is different are the wings??

I also never said this combo deos not fit there customer base, it caters for some of it.

In regards to the actual drive.......why no proper test cars out there?? and also consider the car is supposed to be early 2011 release and no sign of even a decent road test, to make a qualified decision if the car is suitable for you?? Unless you live half way up mount Everset of course

Waited far to long for this car, things have moved on, and so am I...........just not with this particular car..........I think the Red with the Red wheels, looks like "Peggy Mitchell" in a thong, just totally wrong!!

Hope all the peeps buying end up with a cracking car, personally not for me in this format, will be looking else where further down the line for a replacement for the R, meanwhile of to VWR pretty soon for a few tweeks

Sorry folks, just forgot to mention to anyone who has specced a car, it now appears that you cannot have the Matt Ally styling pack with matt or chrome roof rails, only Black.

It appears that the matt ally pack colour does not match the matt colour on the roof rails, so you cant have it, why you cannot have chrome, they dont say, you just cant have either of those rail choices with matt ally pack...........any further info I will try and post as soon as it comes in from AI

Original RS4 was only available as an estate (Avant in Audi speak). Keeping one model makes production easier and theoretically makes the car more desirable as a whole. Not sure what your problem is Ashley.

No problem Mook, just decided that I really do not want a 5 door, and particularly one that looks as ancient as this car does, I have never liked the asthetics of this car from new,and was hoping the RS version would look a whole lot different in the metal,with some body tweeks, but even the back arches have been left original FFS, those Geneva pics just struck me as looking like a tarted up TDI in all honesty so even though I absolutely love the 5 pot with a manual shift after driving a TTRS for a weekend,dont want DSG as I had a MK5 R32 with DSG, and did not like it, just not involving enough for my tastes,so in conclusion there are just to many compromises to make for me personally, I am sure I am in the minority here, but weighing everything up...it is just not desirable enough for me at £40K to compromise on, as said previoulsy I hope everyone who is buying this car, gets a corker, but I am keeping my powder dry for now, and going down the tuning route, for a bit of fun with the R, see what I can ring out of it............also known as doing a "Red"

P.S: Suspiciously starting to sound like you have your depo down Mook?

Ha, it's not Frankenstein enough for Mook, and he wouldn't be able to Barry it up much more than Audi have over the winter months!

I wouldnt be so sure Tipex..........that red wheeled thingy at the show,you know the one with crowds of eager petrolheads fighting each other for a good look.........okay maybe a slight exaggeration there....(Well check out the "enthusiastic"crowd, in the background if you dont believe me) ..........definitely has a "Doris Karloff" look about it, must be the blood like splashes on those fabulous odd sized rims............actually "Frankenstein" is probably the best description I have heard of this particular "RS" just like this A3RSE of a thing........ he was knocked up from various odd parts lying around the place, and proved to be a huge disappointment when wheeled out of the Lab.................... you have been warned!

P.S. Who in "Jeebusses" name wrote that diatribe of Guff that passes as a press release.............they seem to possess all the imagination and flair of a "Pre menstrual Manic Depressive stuck in a Prozac factory".............

doesnt reading it just make you want to rush out and buy one???

Hi I thought I'd add my bit.

I weighed up buying a Golf R or RS3. With no discount a Golf R spec’d up to the RS3’s base price is much the same price as a RS3. I was after a 5 door car with leather, DSG, satnav, parking, etc all the all the toys. That said it is possible to add more toys, personalise the RS3 with “audi exclusive leather” etc to an RS3. It’s also possible to add 2 extra years warranty to a RS3 for just £545 which would give peace of mind + increase resale value. Earlier this year 10% discounts were available for an R. Now it’s maybe 5%. A Golf R was going to cost a bit less than an RS3 but not that much. Regarding looks I marginally preferred the Golf R to an RS3. The A3 is getting replaced next year but then again this is an RS3. I imagine the new S3 wont out perform a RS3. Regarding performance I would inevitably remap the Golf R. I drive a stage two Golf Gti just now and previously owned a stage 1 TTS. The RS3’s performance is in a different league to a Golf R. After much deliberation I decided that I would always be thinking I should have bought an RS3 for the performance if I bought a Golf R. So I have an RS3 on order. ETA next year.

In car magazine this month it gets a review. Yet again more ice driving. Why on earth have Audi only allowed motoring journalists to test an RS3 on a snow covered track ? Anyway here are some quotes which bodes well for my ownership next year.

“there’s so much power it feels gloriously over-engined, and although there isn’t a real peak, the rasps, warbles, whistles and occasional bar more than make up for it. Forget those second-hand M3’s and 911’s – the RS3 will best anything this side of a GTs or GT3”

“I’m sold on the looks as well”

“The Dunlop winter tyres might take the edge off what is undoubtedly a firm ride – the TT’s magnetorheological dampers would be a welcome additition – but the rubber is not responsible for how good the steers is or how great the brakes are. The former is cleaner and crisper than in any Audi this side of the R8, while the latter aren’t over servoed but powerful and easy to modulate”

“It feels resolved together and complete in a way that the RS5 isn’t”

“Inside you will find ageing switch gear, but there's nothing at this price or below (bar another Audi) that can match the quality”

Well that’s my bit added :-)

I was a big fan of the RS3, thought it looked great and was semi interested in buying one, until I saw it in the flesh at Geneva yesterday....

post-12645-137914464971_thumb.jpg

Just look at how few people are looking at it, the bog standard 2.0T A5 near it had far more interest.

pencil.png

The car clearly has issues Audi want to hide, why else would they only allow tests on snow/ice?

Any magazine that thinks it can draw any conclusions from driving a car in those sort of conditions, let alone compare it to a GT3* (which is laughable), really shouldn't be in print!

This thing is a white elephant, and an embarrassment for Audi, by the time anyone takes delivery it'll be the old model** and look even more dated than it already does, the A3's interior is already the worst in Audi's range due to it's age, and really is very dated now.

*Seriously, are they taking the piss? if the R8 isn't anywhere near as good as a GT3, the RS3 sure as hell isn't going to be.

**Yeah ok, so despite being an 'all new' model, the new A3 will probably pretty much look the same as the old one.

One does wonder about the tests I agree. It recall there was another car maker recently (I can't recall just who) who did a similar thing re giving motor journalists a go on oh their new car on an ice / snow track.

Yes also it looks old but then whats is the alternative for a 5 door premium made car. Golf R was the one was looking at and it looks great but same as ever. Plus I reckon the RS3's performance swings it for me. Topgear liked the drive also albeit it was on the same blxxdin snow track arg !

:-)

One of the mistakes your making is describing Audi, and particularly the A3 as being 'premium', there is nothing premium about Audi whatsoever, it's all just marketing guff, if you really want premium you need to look at BMW or Mercedes, and dare I say it, Lexus.

Audi is no more premium than Ford or Vauxhall.

Have a look at the interiors of our A6's after a year of cab work, and then tell me any of it's still 'premium'.

There are plenty of other choices, mine would probably be a BMW 135i.

Well I disagree with you Tipex, Audi are as good as BMW and merc's but that doesn't matter. I rang an Audi dealer today to check when they get there RS3 demo in and was informed that they didn't know and I was not to bother anyway as the 500 have all been snapped up! Nice salesmanship.

I wouldn't have a BMW or a Merc on my driveway unless it was to put some rubbish in it. But that is only my opinion. Isn't it wonderful it have your own thoughts and opinions.

I wouldn't have a BMW or a Merc on my driveway unless it was to put some rubbish in it. But that is only my opinion. Isn't it wonderful it have your own thoughts and opinions.

Yes it is, but it all depends on how you form them, I form mine by having experience of the above mentioned vehicles on a cab fleet of approximately 150 cars, and I can categorically state that Audi are not in the same league as either BMW or Mercedes, in terms of build quality, or performance/handling.

They are also a non brand in the eyes of the general public, nobody gets in our A6's and says, ooh this is nice, but when they get in a Merc or BMW, they all know what it is, and comment on how nice it is.

In fact, people comment on how 'posh' the Ford Galaxy's are, yet the Audi's never get a mention, nor are ever requested.

Of course thats just my opinion, and I accept that some people are very gullible and fall for the marketing bollox from Audi and never test drive anything else :P

Tipex, we've been around this loop before, you are particularly down on Audi for some reason. You've formed a view from running cars as cabs. Fine, but that isn't relevant to most people. How you can say Audi's build quality isn't up to scratch is beyond me, they are widely recognised to be among the best. Merc have improved, but have suffered horridly. BMW are so-so but nothing to right home about, and the cabin style is not my cup of tea at all.

Most folk that take cars to get to the airport and/or for business couldn't give a toss what it is...I speak for myself on that having done it plenty of times. I want to get from A to B with minimal fuss, as long as beaded seat covers don't feature I really don't care.

Audi are a premium brand, end of. If not they wouldn't have the sales they have. To say otherwise is utter bollox.

As for performance/handling??!! Can't see many Mercs or any BMWs keeping up with the R8. Plenty of Audi's have the performance if not the giddy rear wheel handling that many crave. You pays your money and takes your choice. And, if the RS6 is good enough for Mr Schumacher that rather paints its own picture.

Edited by ahankins

Audi are a premium brand, end of. If not they wouldn't have the sales they have. To say otherwise is utter bollox.

I wasn't going to bother replying but, just because you type "end of" doesn't make you correct, they are not a premium brand, they'd like to think they are, but they aren't, if sales figures equal premiumness, then the Toyota Corolla must be the most premium car on the road.

My experience is very relevant to most people as we are using the cars hard, and we find out every little problem, everything that wears out, we aren't doing anything different with our cars that you wouldn't do, we just condense the vehicles life into a shorter timescale, so if a car is unreliable for us, it will also be unreliable for you, but you may not own it long enough to experience all the faults we see.

Any car that is made out of parts that you can blatantly find in cheaper brands, VW, Seat and Skoda, cannot be premium, You don't find BMW bits on cheaper cars, so it's not utter bollox, and if you took your blinkers of for 5 seconds you realise what I'm saying, just because you chose something, doesn't mean it's the best, or what you think it is.

Edited by Tipex

Have to agree to disagree then. Along with most of the motoring press and many of the public.

What other manafacturers are in the BMW group (aside from Mini)? That's not a like for like comparison. Any large entity like VAG is going to share common components, that's the way of the world.

In your parlance Bentley wouldn't be a premium brand either. Odd.

I didn't say sales figures equaled premium. Sales at a given price indicates premium. Fair no?

R8 a pile of cheapo crap then?

Edited by ahankins