Our Favourite Cars We've Owned - What's Yours?

Torino101

My first ever car - have very fond memories:

[ATTACH]42826[/ATTACH]

Pretty shitty car - BMW 318Ti but thought at the time it was the most wondrous thing ever.

The car that still has my soul and is such a crying shame that they aren't total classics is this:

[ATTACH]42828[/ATTACH]

The best looking BM ever in my eyes.........

But the car that brought more joy to my face than any other was this:

[ATTACH]42827[/ATTACH]

The revs. OMFG the revs :eek::eek::eek:

What is the car that you have owned that isn't necessarily the fastest or the most expensive but has given you the greatest pleasure to own????

post-4126-137914464951_thumb.jpg

post-4126-137914464956_thumb.jpg

post-4126-13791446496_thumb.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy peasy for me.

Mazda MX-5 1.8i S

Bought new in 1995 and brought me more pleasure and driving knowledge than any car I have ever owned. Still, in my view, one of the greatest sports cars of all time. Whilst lots of cars I've had since have been vastly quicker, even the M3's couldn't reward like that little MX-5 did. Heaven.

Until I rolled it a year later. Actually I managed to roll it twice in that 'incident' - and lived to tell the tale which is testament to the cars strength.+++

My first car. A 1970 Triumph Herald 13/60 convertible. Bought for £800 when I was 16. In pretty good nick when I got it but bodywork restored and then resprayed by a mate. New carpets fitted by me and a few additions like a mota lita wooden steering wheel and the wheels from it's faster sibling the Vitesse. Sold it when I was 22 for £3600 to get the money for the deposit on my first house.

I HPI'd it a couple of years ago and the person that bought it from me still has it.

17 at sixth form college with a convertible. Good times!! :)

A 1986 mk1 MR2....probably the best handling car I`v owned......It was so easy to to control oversteer that on a wet night when the roads were clear I use to deliberately look for roundabouts......Mind you they well and truly fooked up the mk2 version.

My current car....a Jaguar XF.

Edited by Mr Man

Not sure which would be my favorite as I've had so many, but my most memorable are the TRD MK2 MR2 Turbo, and a 'P' reg Honda Prelude type S, which was Jap market only and hence an import here, and basically Prelude Type R in all but that little 'R'.

Fond memories of the Integrale, and the AlfaSud (my first car) too.

My first car, a mk1 "A" registered astra 1300s. Totally unmarked when I bought it in 1994 with only 54000 miles on the clock.

A one owner car from new and the old fella was in tears as I was leaving his driveway.

I had more fun at legal speeds with all my mates in the car than and other.

I bought it for £850 and sold it three years later(slightly) enhanced for £1300.

Still the only car I've ever made a profit on. It doesn't quite cover the losses on the others however.

A B-plate Austin Montego. Yes, really. An awful car - unreliable, uncomfortable, hideous to look at. but like a lot of the others above, my first car.

Therefore, it meant one thing to me.

Freedom. :grin:

Next highlight was a BMW 323i, which was my first new car, and my first BMW straight six, the start of my love affair with nice cars, and the start of a long slippery slope!

Edited by patently
can't type for toffee

My Boxster and my VW MkIV .:R32 were loved and are missed...

The 911 C4S and VW .:R36 are getting there but have yet to bump the older 2 in the scheme of things...

(at least for one of my cars I can still use the ".:R" to upset Mook et al)

The Pug GTi 1.9 was the daddy of my car ownership.

It wasn't the speed, or power. It was at a time when I was youthful enough to simply go for long drives, hunting down R5Turbo's, 318i's and Golf's and playing racing games.

I was chased by plod on the M3 one night and had to turn off the lights, peel off the motorway without using the brakes (or the brake lights would have rumbled my cunning plan) and parked up some farmers lane. Naughty yes, but not as naughty as being booked for 125 mph by plod in a Range Rover.

As others have said, got to be my first car... a Fiat Panda 1000!!! Complete shed of a motor but it was mine, it was free and it said 'Fire' on it! (also only had four of the five gears working on it!)

Favorite car and only sporty car I've bought was my Pug 306 GTI-6 which had to make way for the family motors I've got now! :(

I was chased by plod on the M3 one night and had to turn off the lights, peel off the motorway without using the brakes (or the brake lights would have rumbled my cunning plan) and parked up some farmers lane. Naughty yes, but not as naughty as being booked for 125 mph by plod in a Range Rover.

Lol, I have also allegedly evaded capture in my youth.

Obviously this is a complete lie as I don't know how long plod keep looking for you but -

Was driving back from the then miss Tipex's uni Halls in Canterbury, and almost home, in a good time (but not my record), in my MR2 Turbo, along the A259 between Bexhill and Pevensey, which is long and fast, doing about 120 (kph obviously :wink: ) when out of the darkness of a tiny layby a car (no idea what it was) lit up like a blue christmas tree and gave chase.

I had a brief moment of indecision, and then just thought, Feck it, I'm not stopping, and put my foot right down, turned the lights off and went for it.

As I approached the roundabout I suddenly thought about my brake lights, but had no choice, it was either brake or crash, the plod were a fair bit behind as they had a standing start, so I braked for the roundabout, peeled of left along a short stretch to some traffic lights when I had a brainwave.

I knew there was a dark tree covered 'driveway' as soon you turned left at the lights, it's not really a driveway, but the guy from the house opposite parks on it, I went straight through the lights on red (it's only really a 'T' junction so no danger of anything appearing from the right), my brake lights will have given me away here, but a quick left, into the driveway thing using the handbrake to lose the last few mph, switched off engine (cos it had a big exhaust innit), then shat my pants as the interior light came on!

A quick fumble for the switch, then ducked down just in time as the plod went past, watched them disappear into the distance before backing out and driving the other way, fecking slowly without lights on, windows down so I could hear as well as see any approaching vehicles that may be plod, all the way home, straight into the garage and then went upstairs and puked into the sink!

I was convinced they'd turn up any minute and nick me, so spent the whole night looking out the window shatting my pants every time a car went past.

Still worth it though, thank feck they didn't have ANPR back then, or they'd have been at my house before I was!

Some good stories about custodial evasion! For a car fan I've had an embarrassing car history. A 1.1 Fiesta (87), two company Polos and my current LCR. The LCR wins of course but I do love it; it swallows all the sports kit, bikes etc etc, goes pretty well and I think still looks good.

It does have a recent penchant for eating front brake pads (1st set lasted 70k, last two sets lasted 25k between them and my driving has not changed) and it seems to be less fuel efficient these days but even so, I love it.

Some good stories about custodial evasion! For a car fan I've had an embarrassing car history. A 1.1 Fiesta (87), two company Polos and my current LCR. The LCR wins of course but I do love it; it swallows all the sports kit, bikes etc etc, goes pretty well and I think still looks good.

It does have a recent penchant for eating front brake pads (1st set lasted 70k, last two sets lasted 25k between them and my driving has not changed) and it seems to be less fuel efficient these days but even so, I love it.

When I had my LCR I couldn't get more than 25k out of a set of Brembo pads

I actually meant disks - but couldn't get the editing on the post. Seriously, replaced the originals at about 70k with Brembos and they warped in no time. Then changed to Mintex after a recommendation from AMD and they have gone too. I need another set. No trackdays and I drive like a wuss.

The front bushes needed doing which might have been a cause through wheel movement ... perhaps ...

I actually meant disks - but couldn't get the editing on the post. Seriously, replaced the originals at about 70k with Brembos and they warped in no time. Then changed to Mintex after a recommendation from AMD and they have gone too. I need another set. No trackdays and I drive like a wuss.

The front bushes needed doing which might have been a cause through wheel movement ... perhaps ...

I had my LCR for 3 years and did 80k miles in it and only changed the discs once at 60k miles

The 3rd car I owned. I wished I had kept it rather than selling it back in 1994 when, with hindsight, I didn't need to.

At the time it felt like a rocket ship compared to most cars of its day; with a bit of teenage bravado, nothing could keep up. That said, it might spoil my memories if I drove a one today.

post-7321-13791446501_thumb.jpg

post-7321-137914465006_thumb.jpg