Our Favourite Cars We've Owned - What's Yours?

Torino101

I had a lot of fun being a teenager in the xr3i cab I had .... started a trend really and still love a rag - top!

My ultimate car was the 3.2 A4 cab, oh how I did love her - still not grown up so this summer I will be spending it topless yet again courtesy of the dark side ;)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 3rd car I owned. I wished I had kept it rather than selling it back in 1994 when, with hindsight, I didn't need to.

At the time it felt like a rocket ship compared to most cars of its day; with a bit of teenage bravado, nothing could keep up. That said, it might spoil my memories if I drove a one today.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]42842[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]42843[/ATTACH]

The Orion had an surprisingly big boot and when I was young and foolish me and mate actually got a lift home from a party in the boot of one as the car was full. It was about five miles as well. What a ****.

One of the most crazy moments I had in it was being the lead car in a convoy of 3 on our way to Blackpool with 4 in each car. We were doing warp speed on the M6 and approached roadworks which narrowed it from 3 to 2 lanes. I completely misjudged it trying to blitz up lane 3 and hit the traffic cones at about 100 with my mates behind me.

Squeaky bum time and the laughing and joking about it in Blackpool hid the fact I nearly shat a brick.

The arrogance of youth.

I actually meant disks - but couldn't get the editing on the post. Seriously, replaced the originals at about 70k with Brembos and they warped in no time. Then changed to Mintex after a recommendation from AMD and they have gone too. I need another set. No trackdays and I drive like a wuss.

The front bushes needed doing which might have been a cause through wheel movement ... perhaps ...

Coupled with the reduction in mpg, I'd get your callipers overhauled as it sounds like they are sticking, excessive wear and warping are classic signs!

Coupled with the reduction in mpg, I'd get your callipers overhauled as it sounds like they are sticking, excessive wear and warping are classic signs!

Thanks Tipex - you would have thought the place would have thought of that as they knew about the reduced mpg too. Off topic but I'm delighted I mentioned it.

Not sure which would be my favorite as I've had so many, but my most memorable are the TRD MK2 MR2 Turbo,

MR2 Turbo for me too.. My first one which i owned in carribean blue...

Had to sell it to raise funds for my wedding at the time... Till this day i remind the wife everytime i see a carrib blue tubby on the road! :(

MR2 :: collage2.jpg picture by fizzbitt - Photobucket

Ive owned a host of Jap mototrs inc a Integra Type R and Celica GT4 ST205 but nothing compared to scaring yourself silly in a 280bhp RWD Mid engine car.. lol

Mazda MX5 mk2 for me too, as a really good fun and good handling car.

Other fave was my Nissan 350Z. Loved that car. Handled pretty good with the traction control switched off and was the first [probably only car so far] that was pretty swift and had a lovely sounding V6!

Has to be my 1972 Pimento Red 150BHP TR6, really sad when I had to sell it when the kids came along. A dream to work on with everything accessible and had a luvverly straight 6 rumble. The Lucas fuel pump for the PI was a pain though, kept overheating in the summer, would have changed it to the Bosch system if I'd have kept it. Did a DVLA check and it's still going. The white one I had at the same time had chrome wires and looked the business but suffered from numerous little niggles, that one was subsequently sprayed blue by the purchaser and exported so no idea where it is now. Strangely I still have the old style log book for the red one!!

Two of my mates had FTO's back when I had the MR2 turbo, one was a rare manual and the other the usual tiptronic thing, the manual was considerably faster, the tiptronic visually lost about 2 car lengths on ever gear change!
Yeah I had a tiptronic and it did impact the acceleration, but a few tweeks from racelogic at the time and it sounded fantastic on full beans.

MR2 Turbo for me too.. My first one which i owned in carribean blue...

Had to sell it to raise funds for my wedding at the time... Till this day i remind the wife everytime i see a carrib blue tubby on the road! :(

MR2 :: collage2.jpg picture by fizzbitt - Photobucket

Ive owned a host of Jap mototrs inc a Integra Type R and Celica GT4 ST205 but nothing compared to scaring yourself silly in a 280bhp RWD Mid engine car.. lol

My first one was a silvery blue rev one, on stupidly hard HKS suspension, and was quite frankly, scary, the second was the TRD fettled one in black, think it was a rev two but it handled a lot better, and was approx 330bhp if memory serves correctly.

Sold it to a mate who ran it for a few years and then sold it to his brother, who still has it, albeit with engine removed and lots of shiny forged bits to go in, where it's been sat for about the last 6 years in a lockup :-(

I replaced it with a Nissan Pulsar GTIR, big mistake, huge.

You went from a 3SGTE to a chocolate engine.. lol :P

I think i will always love them.. they say cars are like women and you should never go back to the same one twice but alas i just cant help it!

p.s) My last tubby was on silly hard coil overs.. Tein HR jobbies!

http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r307/fizzbitt/GT%20Turbo/?action=view&current=IMG_0833.jpg

Edited by fizzbitt

The engine was the only decent bit about the pulsar, ok so it was noisy and unrefined, but it pulled well, just a shame it was spoilt by having the worlds biggest intercooler mounted in just about the worst place possible, and the absolute worst chassis of any car I've ever driven.

No wonder it never won any rallies!

Funny you should say that Garcon as my cousin felt the same way last year so we went to check a couple out but my god there aint a decent one out there now!

All seem to have aged badly mechanically! So many gadgets and gizmos to go wrong in them along with the twin turbos themself!

They were crap, but that didn't stop me wanting one back in the day.

Single most disappointing car I've ever owned, got caught up in all the hype at the time, and bought one, sold it about 9 months later.

Despite adding every type of brace you could think of, and changing suspension etc, it still handled like something that doesn't handle very well, you could feel the chassis twisting just pulling off a kerb!

The only thing it was any good for was 0-60.

My favourite car was my first, a 1981 1.3 Golf MK1.

It was a shed but I learned a lot about bodging it together and crashing. It was my first car and went everywhere with my foot flat on either the accelerator or the brakes, nothing inbetween.

Good times :-)