Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
afmuir

Satnav wiring power feed

3 posts in this topic

Hi

Probably a basic question but I need a switched 12v supply in my Mk5 and am wondering how best to get this. My initial thoughts were from the fuse box but then do I need to undo the fuse box (batt disconnect first) and add in my connection to the back of the fuse box? Or, can I do this somehow from front of fusebox, use a fuse tap thing? Should I connect into an existing switched supply like the cigarette lighter or should I be connecting into a spare unused fuse position?

After pondering that I then thought maybe the best place to take the feed from is the cigarette lighter which I have got into and figure I can cut into the power wire and piggyback a feed from there. Now I need to figure out how to get the satnav wire from the right hand side of the window area through to the cig lighter area. I can see how to feed the wire down into below the steering wheel area, but haven't figured out what bits of trim I might need to undo in order to get the wire from there to the cig lighter.

If anyone knows a better way of doing this or can give me some tips, feel free to chip in!

Thanks

Easiest option is to just buy the can-bus adapter, makes it a simple plug and play job. I've got a 2DIN Kenwood in mine using this it made installation easily. My satnav antenna is just underneath the centre air vent and works pefectly well, not had any signal problems with it being there.

I grabbed the switched 12v feed for my Pogo Alert from the fusebox:

IMG00004-20090609-1432.jpg