Surreal experience on the M40

patently

On my usual cruise into work this morning, I came across a gaggle of cars spread across all 3 lanes.

There's the usual slow cruisers in lanes 1 & 2, then there was a white Renault at the head of a line of cars in lane 3, doing a steady 85. The car behind it obviously wanted to get past, and was making this 100% clear - by hanging right off the Renault's rear bumper.

So far, so ordinary... except that the tailgater was a marked police car. I'm glad I wasn't in the Renault; with lane 2 blocked he couldn't move over, and he couldn't exactly boot it to lose the plod...

Eventually the Renault got past the lane 2 traffic and was able to move over. Plod then overtook it, so it doesn't seem he was after the Renault for anything. I then followed plod for about 2 junctions; he stayed between 85 and 90 for most of the way and didn't once drop below 80 (indicated). Top speed was in the high 90s.

At no time were there any blue lights or sirens going, so I assume there was no incident in progress and no need to depart from the usual rules of the road.

Now, I don't for a moment think the speed was dangerous (although the tailgating was). But it did seem somewhat hypocritical to me.

The tailgating is a bit off, but as far as I'm concerned if a trained police officer is making safe progress while going about his business, he can drive as fast as he likes.

If they're not on a call they can technically be had for any traffic offences, but conversely - as mentioned - they're not obliged to use blues and twos if the are on a call.

I've seen many a marked traffic car travelling deep into three figures without blues and twos on quiet motorways.