A6 Fuel Economy

A6NEWBIE

Can anyone give me actual MPG usage for a 2007/8 Audi A6 2.0 tdi. I've had mixed feedback online from mid 30's to high 40's. No real user feedback available to date.

I currently drive 100mile return trip with the majority motorway and A class roads.

My current Saab gets about 45-50mpg...but with 140k on the clock I wanna cut my ties while things are going good.

Cheers,

I used to do 80mile each way when i had my 2007 A6 2.0 and when it did work... I managed to get around the 35 mark on the motorway and 28 local as long as there was no traffic.

In traffic, it would go down to 24

But, I am heavy footed so I may not be the best judge in mpg figures here :)

I have recently bought a 2008 A6 2.0 tdi. I have been checking the mpg: on average I am getting ~38mpg - I once managed 42mpg while being very careful on my right foot. These are based on my calculations - i.e. number of miles between fill ups divided by the fuel amount. The computer gives about 2-3 mpg higher than my calculation.

I get low to mid 30s in my A6 2.7 quattro Tip driving a mix of London and A road/motorways. Last year I had a 2.0TDI Multi for 6 weeks or so while commuting from SW London to Newbury. I got the same low to mid 30s. My view is that the A6 is just a bit too big and heavy for the old 2.0 PD engine (in 140 trim). You needed to give the car some welly to get it moving anywhere.

That is poor.

My A6 2.5 V6 TDi quattro manual averages 45 mpg on my 120 mile commute up and down the A1. 90% cruising at 70, the odd heavy blast through the gears, but most of the time - just cruisin'!

Exactly the same here. Mine's an auto, but multitronic, so in theory should be as good as the manual.

• 2 weeks later...

I really tried today, really tried.

120miles, no town, never above 70 on the motorway, soft and light right foot, no sports gear box use etc etc

36mpg....

not sure i should have gone diesel now - particularly as i filled up with 75 litres for £100!!

I really tried today, really tried.

120miles, no town, never above 70 on the motorway, soft and light right foot, no sports gear box use etc etc

36mpg....

not sure i should have gone diesel now - particularly as i filled up with 75 litres for £100!!

Last year, we trundled down to Devon in the A6 2.7T Avant Tip. Just cruised, with motorway from Cirencester, and I got 35 from it.

My mate is thinking of getting the 3.0 TDi A6 to replace the car above (which he bought from me). I'll tell him to think twice - although he would be looking for a manual 3.0 TDi.

The 3.0 isn't the worst engine imo... I had an A6 3.0 MY11 as a loaner when mine went in for a service and I got similar results to the 2.7 although that does not always mean a good thing :- )

As mentioned, having air con off will help (ECON on or whatever it is!)

Try using cruise on the motorway too... sure it's not a case of it still running in?

Strange as it sounds, I'm sure I got better consumption when I went from the P-Zero's to the Conti's but that could be me talking rubbish!

Well another day, another driving style.

Repeated the journey of yesterday, only 'hammer down' - well, as much as you can in a heavy estate car.

120 miles, average speed of 65 :)

33.6 mpg.

That was using the sports box and overtaking wherever possible and a fair lick on the motorway.

Averaged out, it's pretty good I supose and it was a lot more fun today that yesterday!

Now to do it again..... Moving house.....

Cruise control on the dual carriageways does help my mpg a lot on both the allroad and the S4. I got the allroad over 30 on Monday as I was settign it at 60 rather than 70 and I'm getting some other issues at speed.

I'd put money on it, that if you drive carefully, you should get much better mpg with cruise control off, you know that feeling you get when the car feels like it's pulling hard on cruise when you go up hills? That's wasting fuel!

Spot on Tipex - cruise control will kill your fuel economy.

Turn it off when you get to the hills!

As an aside, it shows how people's speed changes if you sit on cruise! You overtake, they overtake, you overtake etc etc. So compared to them, cruise probably makes it more economical. But as Tipex says, if you are careful - you can do a better job.

Economy of the Audis is nowhere near as good as BMW in my experience. I can get 40mpg+ out of the Allroad 3.0 on a trip to Devon. But round the Chilterns on the school run it struggles to do 30mpg. Colleague has a 330d does 40+mpg day in day out. My old 320d coupe average 53mpg and could easily see 70mpg on a cruise. Can't see an A4 2.0 tdi doing that in the real world.

Cruise just shows up peoples natural and unconscious variance of speed.

Like slowing down going up hills without realising it, slowing for corners etc etc, if you leave cruise on, and all of a sudden your going faster than everyone else, it's because of that natural and unconscious varying of speed.

Even on flat, straight roads, cruise will still use more fuel than you would.

Economy of the Audis is nowhere near as good as BMW in my experience. I can get 40mpg+ out of the Allroad 3.0 on a trip to Devon. But round the Chilterns on the school run it struggles to do 30mpg. Colleague has a 330d does 40+mpg day in day out. My old 320d coupe average 53mpg and could easily see 70mpg on a cruise. Can't see an A4 2.0 tdi doing that in the real world.

Allroad weighs the best part of 1.9 tonnes though, compared to a 330d at what, 1.5 tonnes +++

Allroad weighs the best part of 1.9 tonnes though, compared to a 330d at what, 1.5 tonnes +++

And it's got four wheel drive etc... I know it's not really like for like but I wouldn't be surprised if an X5 3.0d was better than our Allroad. BTW - I'm not complaining, we didn't buy it because we thought it would be economical. But if economy was my primary concern, I would consider BMW before Audi.

Edited by rottenbend