A6 Fuel Economy

A6NEWBIE

How?!

i cannot get it above 37.

I dont really mind that much as what i do get is within expectations, but there is absolutely no way i will ever see 44mpg, even on a long 400+ mile run to France - unless I was in neutral rolling down hill, or possibly dropping out of the back of an aircraft in freefall......

I have really, really, really tried and just dont see it as possible with the A6 Avant being such a heavy car, quattro and an auto box - in standard map form anyway.

I do a 80 mile trip to work and back in the 3.0 TDI Quattro, I get usually around 35mpg. On a long run when I goto italy and back I get 44mpg. With climate on constantly no ECON etc.

My Mondeo ST did 65 mpg on a run to Italy and back, with 4 passengers, a boot absolutely rammed with luggage, and not dropping below 90mph.

That said, it was more economical at 90 mph than it was at 70mph for some reason.

How?!

i cannot get it above 37.

I dont really mind that much as what i do get is within expectations, but there is absolutely no way i will ever see 44mpg, even on a long 400+ mile run to France - unless I was in neutral rolling down hill, or possibly dropping out of the back of an aircraft in freefall......

I have really, really, really tried and just dont see it as possible with the A6 Avant being such a heavy car, quattro and an auto box - in standard map form anyway.

I cruise around 80 all the way usually with a few little sperts in sports mode to 120 here an there.

Just filled my A6. Not so sure about actually filling it, as once I got going the gauge wasn't quite full, but slowly moved up later????

Anyway, just worked out on that fill, I got 52 mpg, so presume it was wrong, so I'd estimate 49 mpg. I just sit cruisin' at 65 - 70, just below 2K revs. I am in no rush and quite a few others aren't neither. Doesn't seem to get you anywhere any quicker these days. Mine is a 2.5 V6 TDi quattro manual, so older style TDi with a Pipercross replalcement air filter.

Get some Millers Diesel + into it too.

Turn it off when you get to the hills!

As an aside, it shows how people's speed changes if you sit on cruise! You overtake, they overtake, you overtake etc etc. So compared to them, cruise probably makes it more economical. But as Tipex says, if you are careful - you can do a better job.

Absolutely. When I stick it on cruise at the limit then economy come from not accelerating past someone and braking when I come up behind the next car.

As for the hills, cuise is wonder full for overtaking whne there's a camera on an uphill overtaking stretch ;)

Ok here's my experience so far.

I recently had to do a return trip from Plymouth to Brockworth, Gloucester and thought I'd test the consumption and ACC on my 3.0 Avant. I filled up at the local Tesco and the trip said I had 620 miles range so off I went and set the ACC to 70. I wasn't in a hurry so wasn't too bothered about the speed, it did get mildly annoying when people would pull in right in front of you and the system would slow you down but I persevered.

2 hours 15 minutes later at Junction 11A on the M5 the trip said I had 645 miles range and I had an average for the trip of 49.5mpg - I was pretty impressed. For the return I set the ACC to 75 and still managed to get 47.3mpg. I know the trip isn't 100% accurate but still....I was happy.

So, IMHO you can get good results but you have to weigh it up against your normal driving style and whether or not you mind being overtaken all the time by near enough everything bar HGV's.

its stuff like this that makes me think my car is broken......

3.0TDI Avant with an auto box and quattro and I never see 47mpg or even 40 mpg. I will try cruise tomorrow and let you know, but I already know there is zero chance.

I am close to chucking this in and buying a 911 Carerra S to be honest! having it average 33mpg is defeating the object of having it - I may as well enjoy myself and hire a van if i need to move stuff.

Is anyone else out there driving a 2010 model A6 Avant with an auto box etc as above? what is your mpg??

I wouldn't expect much more than 33mpg from a 3.0 to be honest, a 2.0 will only really give mid to low 40's unless you only do motorway driving.

Think about it, 3.0 6 cylinder engine, auto box will rob between 3-5mpg, quattro will rob another 3-5mpg, so why would you expect any more than that?

If you'd wanted an economical car, you should have stuck to 4 cylinders!

Is anyone else out there driving a 2010 model A6 Avant with an auto box etc as above? what is your mpg??

Mine's a 2009 (2010 model year) Allroad 3.0TDI so pretty close (I'd expect mine to be slightly worse). I've never got more than 42 mpg and that's at a constant 70 mph for 150+ miles. I wouldn't swap the smoothness and torque of the V6 for a 4-cylinder tractor engine :nono: Unless it was a BMW diesel.

I've found with the V6 engine that it's virtually impossible to drive slowly. I had a turbo problem last week and tried my very best to keep the rev range below the turbo actuation and as a result returned 50mpg over the week. I couldn't cope driving like that all the time though. If I totally let myself go I'd be down to 40mpg or less easily.

When driving along the A1, I usually try to stay under 2K in 6th, which equates to 70 mph, which is fine for commuting. Much slower and it's crawling pace.

However, getting upto 70 doesn't take long. Surprising (and nice) amount of ooomph once over 2K rpm in the 2.5 V6 tdi! Sounds OK and very smooth over 3K as well - unlike the old tractor Bora 4 cylinder PD TDi I had.

Decided today that its going to go now. Nothing wrong with it at all, but these days its just me in a great big A6 Avant tooling around worrying about 33 MPG and not really having much fun in it - last time someone else was in the car with me was before Christmas!

There is no point, and I am going to revert back to a petrol car, and a fun one. Life is too short.

Family member already said they will take the A6 off my hands, and that means i can borrow it whenever i want to.