Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fizzbitt

Looking to get into mountain biking, what bike to get with a budget of £400

76 posts in this topic

As per the title really, its been a while (10 years) since i last used to ride on a regular basis and back then i had a Kona Hahanna.

Budget of £400 for the bike which will be used for mostly off road trails but nothing to harsh.

Seen this one which i like the look of but since im out of touch what do you guys reckon to it?

£380

Specialized Hardrock Disc Mountain Bike 2011 - Hardtail MTB | Tredz Online Bike Shop

A mate at work is pushing me to spend more and get something like this

£550

Sunn Seasons S2 2011 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Now if i go for the cheaper option i realise that it maybe false economy because before long i could want to upgrade it to something with a higher spec like the £550 one. On the other hand i could buy the more expensive one and then loose interest all together! :rolleyes:

Fun and games!

If you're looking for something cheap to get you started, or just see if you actually want to do it long term, then the best thing to do is to look at new bikes that are old stock i.e. 2009/2010 model bikes. You'll get a lot more for your money and no-one will notice that it's not the latest thing.

Paul's Cycles Mailorder sale and discounted bikes GT Mongoose Giant Kona Scott Cannondale, Cheapest sale offer cycles :: Pauls Cycles always have a good range of old model bikes so is worth a look.

If you really must have a 2011 spec bike have a look at the Halfords VooDoo and Carrera branded bikes, they are well spec'd and get good reviews.

I got back into mountain biking last year after a 10 year break and loving it, off to the Alps in June :D

Just to eccho what Simon has said 2010 is the way to go unless you really want a component that is on a 2011 model, discounts on older models will get you a better bike that a new current model.

Both look like good bikes but they are different sizes. It's worth getting along to a shop that has lot's to choose from and sit on a few to see how they feel as it can make a big difference to comfort and performance. You can learn a lot in half an hour trying a few bikes but be prepared to be tempted into spending more than you planned :rolleyes:

Aye that is the worry.. setting a budget just to break it but then thats the way with any expensive purchase!

Im going to pop over to Chevin Cycles in Otley soon and try some out before i buy.

Remember to budget for a decent crash helmet (don't even think of not wearing one!), gloves, padded shorts, maybe some proper mtb shoes too. Also a pump and some inner tubes, some lube and chain cleaner. I'd try and find a friendly local bike shop to you and go down and sit on the bikes. I've built up a good relationship with my one and they are now really helpful, especially on quick repair turnarounds and general info. Also get a camelbak they're great.

Pricewise I'd spend about £500-600 on a bike to see if you still like it, any cheaper and the bike will suffer if use off road all the time and probably fall to bits! I've been back mtb for 2 years now and do a weekly 20-30 mile ride. Love it!

Yeah... my overall budget im giving myself is circa £500 so £400 (probably pick up a used one on ebay) for the bike and then £100 for safty and extra gear.

Fizz - your place of work operate a ride to work scheme?? - you get your bike less tax and NI and pay back over a term [say 12 months]. So can save over 40% depending on what tax band you are on.

Don't actually have to ride into work, unless the IR are bored and do a check up.

Buying new gives you a warranty [specialized is a lifetime on the frame afaik] whereas buying 2nd hand means if the frame brakes, you are stuffed.

I bought a basic Scott Aspect 20 in 2008. Quickly ended up upgrading the forks..........then the wheels.........then the brakes............. Ended up costing me more than buying a bike higher up in the range. Then i wanted a full susser:ffs:

Indeed they do operate a ride to work scheme but the buggers actually check you use it at the beginning! No way im riding from Bradford to Leeds and back! Cant even pace walk to the end of the street without getting puffed out! :roflmao:

Edited by fizzbitt

:D Get your car parked at Kirkstall then fly into Leeds on the canal towpath. +++

Be surprised how many miles you can rack up on the canal tbh. I've gone from Thackley [where i live] out past Skipton and back. Quite a good jaunt on a nice day, stop at Bingley 5 rise locks for some ice cream!:cool:

ps check out All Terrain at Salts Mills - have an awesome selection of bikes and offer 0% credit if that's any interest.

Be surprised how many miles you can rack up on the canal tbh. I've gone from Thackley [where i live] out past Skipton and back. Quite a good jaunt on a nice day, stop at Bingley 5 rise locks for some ice cream!:cool:

I agree, canals towpaths are a great place for cycling. I used to use them a lot in London, very easy cycling to be had.

Funny you should mention that as Ive just remembered that at my last workplace in Rothwell we used to go for a lunchtime bike ride down the canal for a couple of miles and back during the summer months and for when we were feeling energetic there was a path up the moors with a great view at the top!

It was a very small company at the time and one of the directors was a fitness freak and bought a hand full of bikes with front suspension for us to use.

Right... £350 for a used bike on eBay, any pointers would be great. :)

What make? Full suspension or hardtail? What brand of brakes and gear mechs?

Just front suspension really needed as want to do soft off road trails. With regards to brands etc I wouldnt have a clue as it's been 10 years since I used to ride a bike on a regular basis.

Essentially I want something to buy used so it will last me a year then I can flog it on should I need to when I emigrate to Canada next summer.

Don't see the point in wasting monies on a new machine for just a year.

Sorry Fizz, I misread your post - I thought you'd found one on ebay for £350.

You'll be looking for a hard-tail (MTB speak for front suspension bike). Make sure you get one with Shimano or S-RAM gear mechs. Brand of brakes isn't that important, but it should have discs front and rear.

The one thing you'll need to be wary of with the front shocks on a used bike is the state of them - make sure you can ride it before you part with your cash, or you'll be spending at least £100 on a set of new forks.

Brand of bike isn't that important for that kind of money, but you should be looking for something up to 2 or 3 years old that originally cost £800-900, so have a look on Evans Cycles at that price range new, figure out what you like the look of, then look for that used on ebay if it makes sense.

I've got a Scott full suspension bike I'll be selling in a couple of months, but that doesn't fit the bill.

Learning all the time here, MTB - mountain bike and Hard Tail as no rear suspension... got it. :)

Yeah I dont want something which has been used that much. Just hoping for other people with good intentions spending a fair amount on a bike only to use it a hand full of times and then sell it! :P

Popping down to local bike store this weekend to find what size is best for me. Been advised a 17" frame should be ideal as im 6' tall and 14 stones in weight.

Your weight is irrelevant, as is frame size measured in inches, because that's from the crank to the top bar, which is always different - at 6', you'd need a large (I'm 6'1" and always need a large framed bike.

Your weight is irrelevant, as is frame size measured in inches, because that's from the crank to the top bar, which is always different - at 6', you'd need a large (I'm 6'1" and always need a large framed bike.

Agreed, I would say that 6' you'll need an 18" frame, unless you have abnormally short legs. But there is no substitute for actually sitting on a bike and seeing how it feels as they can vary a lot between models and manufacturers.

Think it's a 17" frame Fizz ? the 22.5" is the top frame unless I'm reading that wrong ? there is a pic with a sticker with the measuments on.