Looking to get into mountain biking, what bike to get with a budget of £400

fizzbitt

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice looking bike and a good spec, good choice +++

A little tip, the Shimano 525 hubs use loose bearings and if you do a few wet rides or use a hose to clean it then water can get in and they seize solid, this has happened to a couple of mates that I ride with. Keep them well packed with fresh grease and they'll last forever.

Now get out and ride, the weathers been perfect recently so everywhere is nice and dry :D

Thought id look these hubs up to see what the crack is and wow... loads of bad feedback about them.

Shimano Deore M525 Disc Hub Reviews

My bike is 19 months old and has mainly been used on road by the previous owner to go to work and back. He said over the last year he has taken it off road on trails about 6 times in total.

Im hoping the lack of constant trail riding has preserved the hubs mechanically but in saying that they dont seem that much to replace with a new set.

WTF... im chatting about 'upgrading' parts already! Nooooo!!! :ffs:

Kopite- Cheers mate, will look into those closer to the time! +++

Im hoping the lack of constant trail riding has preserved the hubs mechanically but in saying that they dont seem that much to replace with a new set.

WTF... im chatting about 'upgrading' parts already! Nooooo!!! :ffs:

If you change the hubs then you'll need to have the wheels rebuilt and if you're buying decent hubs then new rims would make sense, so that really means a complete set of wheels....... it's a slippery slope!!

That sort of expense is not worth it for your bike, just make sure the shimano hubs are looked after, just like the rest of the bike. If you are not sure about how to service your bike then it's worth taking the time to learn, it's very easy (and lots of videos on YouTube to show you how). Or be prepared to throw a lot of money at your local bike shop.

Right... some padded cycle shorts or a seat cushion? The seat is a tad too firm for my liking so wondering if the padded shorts option is better than a foam seat cover?

Also what options are there for subtle helmets that wont make me look like an extra from Star Trek TNG.

Also i like the look of this top but im guessing will be too hot for summer.

Endura MT500 Burner Jersey Long Sleeve | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Edited by fizzbitt

padded shorts. humvees are ok. bibs are great, but make you look like a knob (I wear bibs and shorts).

helmet - does not matter what I wear or anybody else- it is what fits that matters! I wear bell, wanted a giro zen but does not fit my head very well.

SPD - singlespeed

flats - DH

?

SPD = Clipped in v Flat pedals.

I got spd's with my 1st MTB 4 years ago - and fell on my face a few times at the beginning, but find them so much better power wise than flats.

Having said that, just got some flat pedals for my freeride bike as picked up some bad habits [jumping and hopping over stuff by pulling on the pedals instead of using position and technique]

• 2 months later...