2011 FORMULA 1 Qantas Australian Grand Prix

Andy_Bangle

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Mook: Agreed...

...but I meant it was really picky to put it in the rules (not find someone afoul of it).

Why regulate interior wing-to-endplate radii to 100mm? The only thing I can think of is to limit the vortex coming off it. Stupid Overtaking Group recommendations...

Edited by SeanKHotay
Whinging...& Shoulda quoted as I left a space open too long, other traffic came in between

I would have thought if Red Bull had removed KERS they would have to have replaced it with 30kg of ballast otherwise they would be below the minimum weight. I wouldn't have thought any of these designs even with KERS installed were 30kg above the minimum weight.

Good point, didn't think of that!

Of course if you are adding 30kg of ballast you can choose where to stick it rather than where it needs to go in order to fit the KERS system in...

Yes, but if you watched the pre-race interview with Ross Brawn he said as part of the new rules they cannot move ballast about willy nilly as they have to keep the front to rear weight distribution within an agreed tight range.

http://www.formula1.com/news/technical/2011/0/828.html

Edited by Cuprabob

That is not why they are banned. It's the top rear wing element that needs a radii larger that 100mm. It's to stop f-duct type wing stalling to take place when DRS is installed.

Sauber had a fault in the manufacturing process that meant it was 5mm out or so they are saying. I think it all got checked out as a result of them being so quick through the speed traps. Maybe if the wing was built correctly it might not have been so quick thus the punishment.

Toyota had a similar issue that was found in Qualifying that had them starting from the back of the grid.