M3 price guidance

Andrew

Asked this on an M3 specific forum too but would be interested in the TSN view from those that might be in the know.

Been offered an E92, 08 car, SSII black leather, 19s, 12k miles, EDC, Logic 7, USB, Bluetooth, recent service, full BMWSH, 1 month warranty remaining, 19k left to go on both brakes, 6mm front tread, 4mm rear, 6 months tax, 1 owner.

Does anyone from here have a view on what a realistic and good price for this car might be?

Ok cool, that is more like it. Convinces me I've done the right thing pressing for lower which is closer to that figure. I accept it will be more with a broker so I don't think my pricing is unrealistic but we will see. If it goes, it goes, there will be more.

I have looked at M3's a good few times out of sheer curiousity and they seem to vary immensely in price for similar cars.

There are a couple at our local dealers that I can only think they've bought in at massive SIV to be asking the money they are for them. They're just way out.

Booster, would you say the best bet is to look at something with a few more miles and a bigger hit on the price? Those are the ones that seem to be what I'd call excellent value and I can't imagine them causing too many mechanical issues for a long while. I'll not be buying, but if I was I think that's what I'd look to do.

I've seen £8k across near on identical cars on the same year and mileages - and even with the same colour combos.

Mind you Andrew....I wouldn't be buying a manual. My first M3 was manual and it was a huge mistake. That new gearbox they have is fantastic (much better than SMG II which was much better than manual in my opinion) and I think you'll get a much broader appeal when selling on.

I really don't fancy DCT - I like changing gear and having tried paddles I don't really want it. Also, DCT cars are out of my price range.

I do appreciate they are quicker etc but I like the mechanical element of changing gear. It adds to my daily phys too ...

On the price though you are right, they seem to vary hugely. The one above was £34k and there is a near identical car on a 57 plate for £2k less that I've seen. I'd have gone for the one above if they had budged a bit on price but they didn't/couldn't so never mind, there are more out there. I do like the fact you get a good idea of the car's usage from the condition based servicing and the fact everything is logged at BMW. You can also add a car back into warranty as long as it has a full BMW history and it isn't too expensive either.

I thought that....just as much as you, honestly...but boy did I regret it.

The price range aspect is different of course and I can appreciate that side of it.+++

Just be a total t**t on haggling. Never does anyone any harm when you'll probably never see them again. They're not easy cars to sell in the current climate and I'd say you have every advantage on your side as a buyer. Don't be bothering with 5% though, I'd go in at 10% and walk away. I've come to the conclusion that the right car always appears at the right price for the patient man.

Not bad advice, I'll heed that. Let's hope I find one before we see £10 a litre! +++

It isn't like they are getting older. Unlike the RS4 I considered (along with the plethora of others) they are still being made so my car just gets a more recent reg plate!