Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Laurence jr

Advice for a newbie : )

10 posts in this topic

Hi everyone Im currently selling my TT for a A4 convertible, I'm looking at spending no more than 8k is there anything to look out for when buying one ? Also which engine is best to go for I'm thinking 2.5l ? Many thanks Laurence

By the way. This is not mine. Just thought you maybe interested.

Things to check, cambelt change at 60k, and good service history. They are pretty bulletproof. I have a 3.0V6 with CVT. It's faultless :)

This one looks v nice and good price too.

I just couldn't buy a diesel cab. I've never fully understood them. Part of the joy of convertible driving is engine noise - and there are very very few diesels that sound nice, and that certainly isn't one of them anyway. Then you have the smell drifting back into the cabin too.

Lovely choice, an A4 Cabriolet, and of course each to their own, but I couldn't live with a diesel myself.

I agree with MrMe, I wouldn't buy a diesel cab. I chose the 3 litre petrol engine and love it - just over 200bhp so reasonably rapid and I still get aroung 30mpg average. I didn't want a 4 cylinder turbo (more to go wrong) and I would avoid the 2.4 litre petrol - about 50 bhp less and no more economical (its an older design of engine). And I would avoid the multitronic gearbox, they seem quite troublesome. My car is a late 2003 which has the advantage of the 6 speed manual, and it has done just over 100,000 miles with no issues. Looking at prices mine is probably now worth less than the £8K you want to spend - but it's not for sale! Clive

I wouldnt rule out the 4 cylinder turbo engines though. The numbers of 1.8T engines in existence would point to pretty good reliabilty, and I have had 3 A4's with the 200hp 2.0T engine (including a Cab)and they were all faultless.

However, the A4 Cab is a pretty heavy lump with some quite spectacular torque steer in FWD form, unless you go quattro. It's more of a comfortable cruiser than all out 'sports car'. We loved ours, and it returned 38mpg on long runs through France at 90kph.

A nice to have would be heated seats, and a wind deflector.......

I would go with the 3.0V6 - great car - the CVT is a great box too - very smooth and not had any issues - 85k on the clock and running great.

Thanks for all the advice, many of you like the 3.0l I'm currently driving a TT 1.8T quarto 225bhp and getting 26.5 mpg normal steady driving what's average mpg donyou guys get ? Thanks Laurence

Thanks for all the advice, many of you like the 3.0l I'm currently driving a TT 1.8T quarto 225bhp and getting 26.5 mpg normal steady driving what's average mpg donyou guys get ? Thanks Laurence

Town 20. Motorway cruise (70mph) 35 - combined, 26 - like I say mine is the multitronic which really compliments the car. As they are not out and out sports cars the manual is a bit of a white elephant - they are cruisers, and will cruise all day long...

Long term combined (according to the DIS) on ours after 24k miles, 2.0T manual FWD S-Line, was 37mpg.

Not at all bad for a 3rd car that did 6k a year pottering about sightseeing, i.e. not all motorway work. On a good run on the motorway, shifting early and not going above 70 we would see 40mpg.

Really trying to be frugal, and with a little downhill coasting on the French autoroutes we saw 42mpg occasionally!