Faulty wing mirror - won't lower

Pentathlete

Hi Guys.

So the other half took my A8 today and when she parked she put the wing mirrors into the 'up' position at her work car park. I rarely do this nowadays as it just seems to make them a target for vandals wanting to break expensive things! However, when she got back in to the car and flicked the switch only the passenger side mirror went back to the driving position. The drivers' side mirror has remained in the 'up' position and won't budge.

I can forcibly 'click' it around and the mirror inside the housing still moves but the main housing doesn't.

Any ideas? Is this possibly a fault code?

I know a friend had a problem with his D2 where they kept going up and down ('flapping') whilst driving because water had collected under the passenger footwell. This sorted once he drained it all. Is this likely to be similar? Or is there a separate motor for the housing that might have died? It sounds like 'SOMETHING' is trying to happen! :confused:

Any help gratefully received!

Hi, I had a similar problem on a Jag, if you can hear something moving/trying to move when you operate the mirror, it is either a stripped gear wheel (not good news) or it has come disengaged. I am not sure how the cover comes off, maybe someone else on this site can advise, but if you can remove the wing morror cover you should be able to see the mechanism and if you just need to reseat something. I wouldn't mind betting someone a swing at it and that has caused the problem. Heres hoping its the later and not an expensive repair.

Thanks Asctt

I've just retried it all. I heard a whirring once when I unlocked the car but nothing after that when I started flicking the switch around again.

I then tried 'coaxing' (read forcing) the mirror and it clicked round at 45degrees at a time but now there's some play in it which there wasn't before. :-(

Wondering if it's covered on my extended warranty?...will have to dig out the docs...

Have finally managed to find some similar threads on this (couldn't find them earlier) with some suggestions about cogs going...maybe worth noting it was VERY foggy all day where the car was parked apparently...hmmm....