Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewNiceMrMe

Nintendo 3DS

14 posts in this topic

We bought a Nintendo 3DS for our youngest today. Very nice it looks too in metallic Aqua Blue.

However, as most know on here I'm not much of a gamer and I wasn't going to get overly excited about a silly little handheld console.

Then we switched it on and had a little play with it. Wow! What an amazing little device! The 3D effects are breathtaking! Even the camera takes 3D shots which are simply brilliant to look at! She has been playing Sims 3D on it since we got home and it's very, very impressive.

Anyone else got one? I've got to say its the first console that has really caught my attention. The 3D is so good you find yourself rubbing your eyes and wondering how the hell it is doing it!

My boys have a normal DS they share (and fight over mostly) so won't be getting one for them quite yet, but I'm very eager to have a play on one just to see how good this 3D really is. Might have to pop in town one day and have a go on a display stand sometime!

Prepare to rub your eyes.:roflmao:

The photos it takes are worth the money alone.

I don't know how old your daughter is but I think you need to be wary how long they play it for as it could have some effects on her eyesight.

There are only 3D warnings for children of 6 or younger.

She's 8. However, they do advise on a 10-15 minute break after an hour of play, which we're supervising.+++

Thing is, that's the advice for any other games console for children. The eyestrain doesn't seem any worse to me than on anything else. It's just remarkable to witness what you see on screen, nothing more.

I always thought the other consoles recommending a short break every hour were just covering their arses whereas there is actually some possibility of damage given the way the visual system works on this.

I do think it does some good to "de-focus" if there is such a thing and let the eyes relax a bit as it is far more intense when trying to view 3D images.

Mind you, don't forget (or I my case I didn't know until we bought this one today), the 3D is adjustable.

There is a slider control on the console and it adjusts the amount of 3D effect generated. It works bloody well too.+++

I had a play with the 3DS in Game last weekend. Not entirely convinced but it was only a 20 sec plays as I had to look away as it messed with the eyes :rolleyes:

It does say those over 65 years old age should consult their GP before playing.:grin:

They had the 3DS roadshow in milton keynes shopping centre - i had several goes, well have you seen the girls walking aroung with them.........

They had the 3DS roadshow in milton keynes shopping centre - i had several goes, well have you seen the girls walking aroung with them.........

I'm guessing their 3D assets were impressive?! ;)

Manager at work brought one in for us to mess with. The 3d games like ridge racer would give me a headache after a few min but the augmented reality card game blew me away!

Bought Street Fighter IV today.

WOW! +++

I had a play with one today in Game.

Apart from the dead ahead view (which is simply brilliant!!) I didn't like :

movement affected the 3D. Up/down is fine but a little side to side and it goes weird.

It's not DSiXL size (yet)

The lower section looked and felt quite old fashioned.

I'll hang on for a bit as I simply wasn't comfortable with it.