Worst car you've ever owned ? + pic.

theduisbergkid

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't find my horrid X Type. I suspect it's on a hard drive elsewhere in the house, or perhaps in the office.

However, it looked nigh on identical to this, albeit with the mesh sports grille on mine.

It was the worst car I have ever owned by a margin so great that even a Morris Ital 1.7 HLS was far superior (and it is a slur on the Ital to mention it in the same breath as the dreaded X Type of doom).

car_id_122_2.jpg

Fortunately I've not owned a bad car, it occurred to me recently I've never put a car through an MOT either!

I've borrowed plenty of bad ones from work - a shockingly bad Xsara that had been abused for 80k miles before I drove it to Brussels and back, the biggest surprise was that it didn't fall apart during the journey :roflmao:

Is that a Shogun Pinin?

I thought they were meant to be quite good?

The Pinin Evo always looked like a right laugh!

Yeah its a Pinin - and it was very good around the farm, across the fields but it was only one step up from a defender for road use, also the Nav was useless, it had no boot space, ours had an issue causing a rear wheel to lock causing some unusual behaviour if you were cornering.

Probably a 1.6 N reg Mondeo LX in White that was my first car. I had it about 4 months until I got a brand new company car so left it on a neighbour's drive for a further 6 months.

The handbrake locked on so after jump starting it I just nailed it in reverse and after 5 yards of black lines across her White concrete drive everything loosened up again.

I bought it from the father-in-law's milkman for £750 and sold it back to him for £600.

Lots of dodgy company cars... my first was a Rover 420SLi saloon. Only good thing was it was a 2.0 when everyone else at my level had a 1.6GL Cavalier (all were burgundy!)... oh and it had a car phone, remember them!?

[ATTACH]43121[/ATTACH]

Had several head gaskets from abuse and would go through front tyres every 6,000 miles :)

I've always managed to wangle okay cars really... very lucky/spoilt.

post-9898-137914466595_thumb.jpg

Mine was a D reg Fiat Regata 90, I bought it 3 months old at auction for 50% of what it cost new but it still wasn't worth that ! every time it rained the footwell would fill up with water from a really badly fitted windscreen. I ended up trading it down to an old nackered T reg 2.0 Ghia Capri which was way more fun !

Stock pic:

post-2514-137914466596_thumb.jpg

I've had a few bad 'uns, but the worst by a country mile was a 1983 Austin Maestro 1.6HLS in MrMe beige.

Not dissimilar to the one on this hilarious web page:

Maestro HLS

By the way, MrMe may think the worst car he's ever owned was that X-type, but some of us know better. Come on MrMe, show the nice people a picture or two of your MGF... :roflmao:

newcar3.jpg

Explains why British car manufacturing died the death.

Electrical faults galore, rusty panels on a 3 year old car, panel gaps that you could see daylight through, mysterious electrical drain that killed even new batteries over 2 weeks that the dealer said was ‘normal’. ‘Emergency’ door lock that pulled out on the key. ‘Self levelling’ suspension that didn’t. Cheap leather that wore very quickly. Wood that wasn’t wood, cheap plastic that was.

Only bit that was sound was the engine - it was made by BMW though – fuel system leaked diesel however. Dealers who stole the tow hook!

Wanted one for years, was hugely disappointed when I did own one, will never own another one.

Gone, and forgotten thankfully – what a fecking heap.

Will add that it was good in the snow.

Extensive undersealing and the use of wax injection techniques after the car has been painted have made it possible for Austin Rover to issue a 6-year Supershield corrosion warranty with every new Maestro. Apart from representing excellent long-term insurance (and, ultimately, a high re-sale price), this is enduring proof of the quality which is built into these miracle family cars.

:roflmao:

Maestro turbo?

Pah, I had a red MG Montego Turbo, fast as feck that was, didn't handle well though, torque steer was biblical.

It killed itself one day, saved me having to put it out of it's misery, it wouldn't switch off one day, so I tried to stall it, and it ate the clutch instantly, then sat there revving it's tits off until the engine gave up, and spat it's contents onto the road, there was so much smoke no one could see the car, or me laughing at it!