Audi Q7 Tyre and Four Wheel Alingment

Emaudiq7

Hi,

I know there have been recent threads which mention the uneven tyre wear for the Q7's but I could do with finding out if it is true what the service manager at my local audi dealer is sayng.

I contacted my dealer to find out what was causing my front tyres to wear on the outer edge (20" wheels), we only had new Goodyears fitted 7,000 miles ago and the outer edges are almost bald with hardly any wear from about 1" in the outer edge. The dealer asked if it had had a four wheel alignment, we hadn't and had bought it at 9,000 miles so unsure if the previous owner had. He said that the problem will be because the tracking is out and that it would need a four wheel alignment. He said that they offer one free alignment under warranty (my car is under 3 years old) and if it hadn't had one already they would carry that out but if the car has already had one under warranty I would have to pay £120.00.

I asked why the tyres would show such wear due the tracking especially as he stating this could keep happening every time I hit a pot hole! He said that this can be the case with every car but put it down to extreme uneven wear down to the size if the wheel.

Am I right in thinking that I need to replace the front tyres before sending it for the alignment? (Audi wony be doing it as too expensive) Then, what if the tracking is proved not to be out should I ask them to carry out any further checks or mods which could be causing the problem.

Also, can the dealer be held responsible for the cost of the tyres if this is something that should have been corrected/check when new?

I do hope someone can shed some light on this for me as I have ready many threads on this which has confused me even more.

Thanks in advance