Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kopite

Volvo V50 2.0d

7 posts in this topic

Evening all... first post from me, and needing to pick your brains.

I currently drive a 2008 Saab 9-3 TDI Vector. It`s a company car and I`m hopefully getting a new job soon which dosen`t come with a car so I`m looking at getting my own car.

Top of my list is a Volvo V50 2.0d (sport or SE).

There`s no kids involved, just me and my girlfriend. We go camping, mountain climbing, I go carp fishing and mountain biking so an estate is pretty essential.

My concern is, I read a couple of reliability reviews on the V50 which were poor, my sister has the V40 on a 53 plate and raves on about it, even though it`s now done nearly 200k!

Does anybody have first hand experience that will put my mind at rest?

I have a back up list of:

Audi A4 Avant 2.0tdi S Line

Saab 9-3 1.9tdi (150bhp) estate Vector

Maybe a BMW 320d Touring

I`m looking at approx 5-6 years old and a budjet of approx 6-7 grand

Cheers

+++

We have a V50 2.0 tdi, and it works hard, it's never let us down and copes with whatever you throw at it, interior is wearing well, and is a nice place to be, nice looking car as well, I'll try and post a pic of it tomorrow if I remember, the D5 has a more interesting engine, but it doesn't really offer much over the 2.0 other than a nicer soundtrack, at the expense of economy.

Having said all that, I think I'd rather have a BMW 320d, as they are more efficient and more powerful, better looking (personal opinion I know), and re-mapping gives fantastic results, they drive better to, there's nothing wrong with the Volvo, it's just not as entertaining as the BMW.

I1m going to view a 2007 SE sport V50 tomorrow with high mileage but it`s immaculate.

Anybody know of any common faults I should be looking out for/

Cheers