[Audi A1] A Proper Audi?

maersk

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what the question was about. And I stand by what I said - BMW are no worse than Audi (or Mercedes) in having to spend fecking thousands to bring your already expensive piece of German tat upto an acceptable standard of equipment.

And having spent the extra thousands in whichever model you choose, most people would rather have a Beemer or Merc. So there. :P

And I wouldn't wipe my arse on an Auto Express, far less believe a fecking word they write.

(Personally I'll have a Jag instead thanks. They equip their cars properly, and know how to make suspension that doesn't break your ****ing back.)

And having spent the extra thousands in whichever model you choose, most people would rather have a Beemer or Merc. So there. :P

Not true, you and I probably would, but the fact is Audi sell more cars worldwide then BMW & Mercedes.*

Audi bashing is becoming the cool thing to do around here. I'm not an Audi fan, but they aren't as bad as people make out. I haven't driven the new XF, just sitting in it after coming out of an Audi it felt more Volvo and not an like an upmarket or premium product at all. I don't doubt its a great car and I love the look of it, just wish they had paid more attention to quality just like Audi should to chassis and driver feedback.*

Generally speaking, BMW are just as well made as Audi and actually drive like the steering is connected to the road so IMO make some of the most appealing cars today.*

Audi tells lies shock!

Just shows what their fans will believe though, eh?

I've never believed it for one minute, just couldn't ever be bothered to look up any figures.

Whatever you think of Audi as a brand, no one can deny the poor specification levels, and frankly ridiculous prices to bring them up to the base spec of even their supposedly 'less premium' competition.

Although it seems thats not just an Audi thing, most German cars come very poorly specced these days.

I prefer the German way of selling cars in Europe to how they do it in the US.

A base spec and then pay for what you want is way preferrable to having just a choice of three options packages.

Admittedly it does seem that in offering this they've removed spec without lowering prices.

Edited by Scotty

So who in everyone's opinion gives the highest spec for the money?

Jaguar and Lexus.

Their approach is more akin to the US market approach Scotty describes.

If you're not convinced, just have a look at the options list available on a Jaguar XF/XJ Portfolio or a Lexus SE-L. There's hardly anything on them because everything's standard.

And even the 'base' Lexus and Jaguar models tend to have leather and sat nav.

UK market Jags and Lexuses aren't 'fixed specification' cars as such - at least not in the same sense as in the USA. You have a full options list to specify the lower model cars as you wish. It's just that when you get to the Portfolio and SE-L models, all those options are standard. Like a luxury car should be.

Things do get a bit better on the larger cars though. I think that the E Class, 5 Series and new A6 all come with leather as standard, and the Audi also has Sat Nav :grin: Still very long options lists though :o

This report seems to confirm that BMW is the worlds leading 'premium' car maker Luxury picks up pace. German car-makers BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Audi report soaring sales | Industry Leaders Magazine

A bit misleading though IMO; it includes MINI, which must be a reasonable chunk of the 1.46 million units shifted last year. MB sold 1.2m units and Audi 1.1m according to that report.

In fact MINI Production Triangle in the UK says that MINI capacity is 300k units...so I reckon that MB is the leading Premium car maker, with Audi and BMW in joint second

(I've ignored the few '000 RR sales included in BMWs numbers :roflmao:)

Right, back to the sunshine...Oops, I mean, back to work ;-)

Peter

Most of Merc's problems are behind them. They went through a very bad phase in the early 00's when the accountants seemed to take hold and went too far down the line of planned obsolescence. Just about every model has been replaced since then, and they are all a huge improvement. They're not back to trophy winning reliability, but then none of the German marques are. Complexity has overtaken reliability in modern luxury cars - even Lexus have seen more issues of late.