Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maersk

A Proper Audi?

66 posts in this topic

Check the Subaru repair costs!

It's a scary average - mostly due to engine rebuilds of barried import Imprezas.

Very funny Garcock lol

Blame cockney git - he linked to it. :grin:

Just shows Audi have always lagged behind as far as I'm concerned... :P

To be honest, those surveys are utter, utter bo**ocks.

And you can see they are just by looking at the results, why are VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda not all next to each other? the parts are all the same, the repair costs should be the same, there is no reason why they'd occupy different positions.

It's also true that the quality of interior fixtures and fittings in Mercedes went down hill for a while, but just because Top Gear said they are all unreliable a few years back doesn't mean it's true.

We've had Mercedes, mostly 'E' Class, and a some 'C' Class, right through the supposed poor quality/reliability era, and they were still more reliable than almost every other brand, so read into that what you will, in fact, apart from some creaky rear bushes at high mileage, and a manual gearbox failing (manual was a huge mistake, only ever buy an Auto Merc) that was replaced under warranty at 150k, we've had no issues with Mercs at all, and they only charge us £40/hour labour too.

Saw a billboard ad today proudly proclaiming that the A6 now comes with nav as standard. And so it bloody well should do too!

Saw a billboard ad today proudly proclaiming that the A6 now comes with nav as standard. And so it bloody well should do too!

It's even rumoured to actually have full postcode functionality .... at long last !!!

It's even rumoured to actually have full postcode functionality .... at long last !!!

I think we've just found Milo's next car then!

I think we've just found Milo's next car then!

I refuse to consider another Audi until they sort our their piss poor sat nav which assumes you only want to be within an 800m radius of your intended destination.

Love the response from 'Audi driver 4 eva' in that piss poor bit of defending from Audi, claiming that BWM are French because there might be a PSA engine in a Mini, thats really clutching at straws, and I think his user name rather tells enough about him!

I also find Audi north Americas model designation absolutely fecking hilarious - Premium (base model poverty spec, nothing Premium about it), Premium Plus (probably what everyone else calls base spec), and Prestige. :rolleyes:

How's it clutching at straws?

It's doing the same thing. We all know it's to do with branding (plus some extra time and money spent on the quality an developement of performance, noise, vibration etc supression.

Are we going to get into whether Levi's are worth more than unbranded jeans or designer ones more so than Levi's?

I can't believe BMW started off the argument to be honest. All they seem to be doing it acknowledging a very sensible (and obvious) business decision.

How's it clutching at straws?

It's doing the same thing. We all know it's to do with branding (plus some extra time and money spent on the quality an developement of performance, noise, vibration etc supression.

Are we going to get into whether Levi's are worth more than unbranded jeans or designer ones more so than Levi's?

I can't believe BMW started off the argument to be honest. All they seem to be doing it acknowledging a very sensible (and obvious) business decision.

Very true Mr Scotty.

BMW/Mini/PSA sharing engines and stuff.

Aston had some Ford switchgear

Volvo probably had Ford stuff in them

Some brands hide it better.

I don't see an issue with mainstream engineering sharing.

Reliability wise - None of my old Audi's have left me stranded - and I've had many!

Besides, don't believe a word of these reliability surveys - I don't recall seeing many Merc's on the hard shoulders during their 'bad years'

Because it is clutching at straws.

Forget about what brand it is for a moment, and just look at the blokes username and comment.

It's a pathetic attempt to justify something, that doesn't really need justifying, by a total and utter blinkered fanboy, it's hilarious.

I bet it took him ages to dig that up too.

why are VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda not all next to each other? the parts are all the same, the repair costs should be the same, there is no reason why they'd occupy different positions.

Because the cars are assembled in different factories by different people in the first place. Also I imagine that Seat's hourly repair rate is lower than Audis's, and as prices vary so do people's expectations, etc...

That's the whole point though, peoples 'expectations' shouldn't be taken into account, that's what skews the results.

Aren't cars mostly put together by robots now anyway? Are VAG's Skoda robots less attentive than their Audi ones?

I'm probably wrong, and clearly haven't experienced automobile factories anything like as much as you have, but aren't most vehicle problems caused by component failure, rather than failings in the vehicles assembly? After all, they're only tightening up screws/bolts and plugging things in aren't they?

After all, they're only tightening up screws/bolts and plugging things in aren't they?

You haven't seen the pictures of Vauxhall's robots valiantly trying to weld a bodyshell with a 5 door LHS and a 3 door RHS...

You haven't seen the pictures of Vauxhall's robots valiantly trying to weld a bodyshell with a 5 door LHS and a 3 door RHS...

No I haven't, but that'll be down to whatever muppet loaded the wrong piece of car into the welding robot!

There are many different reasons as to why one car might be better than another. When I worked at Bentley VW and Audi went about creating and designing their cars in a very different way.

Yes many aspects of them shared some components but sometimes not as many as you might thing for reasons of cost or local supply restrictions. This could be why one fails more than another and an Audi might be lighter than a similar VW in the past. Also there wasn't as much cross platform sharing either there was a fair big of competition.

German car manufacturers also sourced components differently than Japanese as well, one went for cost as the driver the other the lower failure rate and initial cost was a secondary factor, no idea if that is still the case though.

It does beg the question on many a 'Premium' marque why they don't offer a 7 or 5 year warranty if KIA or Toyota are able to, I guess they don't need to if the buyer isn't demanding it.

The quality of some Japanese cars have gone downhill in recent months. Looks at Toyota's record for quality and safety.

Toyotas problems lie in the cars that are assembled in the UK, namely the Avensis.

They are ok up to about 60k, then they start falling apart, the Prius on the other hand, seems to be bullet proof, even the one we've got with knackered batteries still drives ok, it just wont go more than a foot on battery power before the engine cuts in, it has done 250k though, and once the battery is changed I don't doubt it'll do another 250k.

Most other Toyotas seem to be ok, we've a couple of Verso thingys, they seem reliable too.

No I haven't, but that'll be down to whatever muppet loaded the wrong piece of car into the welding robot!

That "muppet" was another robot - that picked the parts out of the automated warehouse.

Toyotas problems lie in the cars that are assembled in the UK, namely the Avensis.

The majority of Toyotas that had the throttle pedal problem were manufactured in Japan (BTW it also affected the Czech Republic manufactured Aygo/107/C1 when fitted with ESP, as only those have drive-by-wire).

We've never experienced the throttle pedal problem on any of our Toyotas, I was referring to general reliability, and it seems to be UK assembled models that suffer.

And you can bet that at some point in the process, a human was responsible for putting the wrong bit somewhere, or programming the robot incorrectly.

Somewhere on the internets is a US Government paper admitting that the supposed Toyota problem that got them into such bother in the US turned out to be a figment of somebody's imagination.

Of course, there has been no apology forthcoming from US Authorities to Toyota's, nor indeed any compensation for their expenses and lost revenue.

Turns out it was all just another episode of US protectionism.