Factory Production Confirmed - New Golf R

TP27

Success - delivery achieved and boy, what a car !!

I'll complete a comparison in due course, however, it is a step up from the R32 I have to say. Engine and exhaust note not bad at all either !! 110 miles so far so it needs to settle in but well happy !! :eclipse:

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad to hear it TP27.

You will now appreciate how many people are missing a gem of a car, because of its high price.

funnily enough, most people who drive it love it. But a lot of armchair critics neg it, due to its price having never been near it.

I have still not seen another one on the road in the 8 months I have had mine.

I will be particularly interested how you think it handles compared to the R32.

The new Haldex and less nose weight put it in a different class.

Try flooring it out of bends.........even in the wet. it doesn't understand and just catapults you out of the bend.

Edited by Soulboy

Glad to hear it TP27.

You will now appreciate how many people are missing a gem of a car, because of its high price.

funnily enough, most people who drive it love it. But a lot of armchair critics neg it, due to its price having never been near it.

I have still not seen another one on the road in the 8 months I have had mine.

I will be particularly interested how you think it handles compared to the R32.

The new Haldex and less nose weight put it in a different class.

Try flooring it out of bends.........even in the wet. it doesn't understand and just catapults you out of the bend.

Stop it, you're making me jealous :-)

Come on cupra bob .......get one ordered. Another convert :grin:

BTW the previous post was meant to say understeer (now saved to dictionary) - not understand.

Did seriously think about it but my head won over my heart and went down the Rocco Diesel route. Just doing too many miles these days. Shell share price will drop like a stone when the R goes

Not really had the chance to go for a 'blast' in the R yet but all I can say is it's no lighter on fuel than the R32 !! :o

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43506[/ATTACH]

Looks very nice and I'm relieved it's as thirsty as the R32 because that reassures me that I made the right decision going for the Rocco tractor:-)

Wow... looking nice dude.... I'm sure mpg will improve slightly but having driven the Audi S3 its not much better than the R32 when driving in a sporty style.

Having just landed a job which involves about 100 miles per day in travelling a second sport car for me is now out of the question... sticking with my 1.4TDi for another year or so then see what eco bluemotion cars are out.

Really loving the Audi A1. :)

Riz :)

• 3 weeks later...
so, how you finding it TP27?

Loving it but not really driven it much, so far. It spends most of the time parked up outside the office !!

Better built over the MkV Golf, different drive than the V6 in that you have to stir the porridge more, however, it's quick. I'd say it's more thirsty on fuel than the R32 too. 400 miles so far but a blast up the A9 next week so I'll detour home via Lecht and Glenshee, just to see how well it drives on B roads too !!! :o

Loving it but not really driven it much, so far. It spends most of the time parked up outside the office !!

Better built over the MkV Golf, different drive than the V6 in that you have to stir the porridge more, however, it's quick. I'd say it's more thirsty on fuel than the R32 too. 400 miles so far but a blast up the A9 next week so I'll detour home via Lecht and Glenshee, just to see how well it drives on B roads too !!! :o

There is a blue R parked up at happendon services more often than not and it looks very understated, very nice though. I think with a remap it would be a fair tool.

Interesting comment that you feel it's better built than the mkV Golf, I drove a Golf R and loved it, and it did seem well screwed together, but I haven't spent any time in a mkV to compare it to, however, by their own admission, VW have quite clearly said the new Golf has been built with cost cutting measures in mind, and from some other owners comments and pictures, this seems to be born out to be true, most notably by the lack of any paint on areas that aren't immediately obvious, so I find it interesting you feel it's better built.

But cost cutting doesn't neccesarily mean a drop in quality. The Mk5 was apparently poorly designed from an assembly point of view so they've simplified the assembly design to reduce the build time.

If it's simpler there's a fair chance that it's also been assembled a bit better +++