Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scotty

Goodbye to the spark plug ?

20 posts in this topic

About bloody time, i keep loosing my guage lol

Thumb nail works for me.

Straight out the packet and into the engine has always worked for me.

Straight out the packet and into the engine has always worked for me.

Yep if you buy them for your car then the gap is already set.

I'd always check on the basis that the tip could have been knocked.

is it not the case with some plugs with exotic materials on the electrodes that if you actually run feeler guages down them there is a risk of damaging the coating and thus reducing the life and/or performance of the plug?

Yep - got 'em on my bike - Iridium's.

Apparently doing so can break the electrode. I'm glad they last as they're not cheap.

yeah - I have a theory that plug manufacturers have "more than" embraced the need for more power/better emmision by producing plugs which are more fragile.... I've had a few on my dirt bikes which have failed when the older more sturdy ones would have lasted years. They're priced 3 or 4 times as high and fail regularly..... Its not quite the same for cars yet... but how much is a set of fancy plugs...? Well pricey.

Honda dealers are charging about £20 per plug. They last 32k instead of 16k for standard ones.

They're priced 3 or 4 times. Its not quite the same for cars yet... but how much is a set of fancy plugs...? Well pricey.

We need an M3/M5 owner for the plug prices! :eek:

Time to sit down. Hopefully not bending down.....

Goodbye to the oil Dipstick too. New Land Rover and Range Rover cars have a 'ultrasonic' dipstick. No mechanical way to check the oil levels. I asked the RR chap what happens when it breaks. Arrogant **** said 'it's a range rover, it won't break' :rolleyes:

Goodbye to the oil Dipstick too. New Land Rover and Range Rover cars have a 'ultrasonic' dipstick. No mechanical way to check the oil levels. I asked the RR chap what happens when it breaks. Arrogant **** said 'it's a range rover, it won't break' :rolleyes:

I might be wrong but I think vx insignia's are the same.

I've had mine a year and a half now and I've never checked it. There is a dash option to check oil life as a %.

I'm a bit of a Luddite, but honestly, they'll save 2p on the build cost by deleting the Dipstick and cause owners real headaches when the system eventually fails. How accurate are they anyway. What a sh*t idea.

My A4 doesn't have a dip stick. Lots of people, especially in the US, are pulling the blanking plug off the pipe and fitting one. Obviously there's been a bit of trial and error with the right sticks.

I'm happy to see it displayed in the MMI. How accurate does it need to be? I've got 10 bars and it'll also alarm if it gets low.

The risk I guess is if the electronic sensor fails.

It also stops you from changing your own oil..... You don't know how much you are putting in.

Another cunning trick to get you to use the dealer.

No dipstick has been quite common for a number of years now, can't for the life of me remember what car it was, but about 6 years ago, myself and a colleague were searching for his dipstick (ooh err), and couldn't find it.

It also stops you from changing your own oil..... You don't know how much you are putting in.

Another cunning trick to get you to use the dealer.

How do they do it at the dealer then? Put in a measured amount or can they get a reading from VAGCOM?

Their own diags machine 501??? will 'ding' once the level gets to the right place.

I do remember sometime ago, that a dipstick was an optional extra on some car models.

No dipstick has been quite common for a number of years now, can't for the life of me remember what car it was, but about 6 years ago, myself and a colleague were searching for his dipstick (ooh err), and couldn't find it.

I'm sure my E90 330i (an early one, on a '05 plate) didn't have a dipstick, and I don't think that the '04 Merc E270 CDI did either. We've had a few Renaults that have all had electronic oil level indicators, but they had a dipstick as well. Possibly a reflection of the confidence in French electrics, though to be fair nothing ever went wrong with them :grin:

Peter