A6 MMI gone AWOL- advice please

IanAC

Hi all – I've got an 2006 A6 Avant 2.7 SE TDI with high MMI, bought approved used, but now out of warranty. The MMI worked fine for 12 months, then I noticed the phone wasn't accessing my last-dialled mobile numbers. Other phone functions started gradually disappearing until the MMI started saying “phone not installed!” Next, the whole MMI started to malfunction – half the time it wouldn't come on at all unless I did the setup/enter/top right softkey reset, and even then it would sometimes only stay on a couple of seconds. The phone came back briefly/partly, but then vanished again. Currently, the MMI stays on, but the radio, CD and telephone don't work. The live satnav map works, but I can't input a new destination as it just keeps flicking back to the last place I programmed in.

Is there anything I can try myself or has it got to go into an Audi dealer? BTW, don't know if there's a connection, but the rear wiper packed in about a month ago (well, very occasionally it groans when I start the car and does a feeble solitary wipe) I know MMI can be affected by leaks from the rear wiper, but the MMI started going to cock long before the wiper packed in. I love the car, but feeling brassed off with all this. :ffs: Any advice/suggestions much appreciated, thanks.

You've answered your own question, rear wash wipe has possiby trashed your MMI, but it maybe just that the BT ECU has failed, quite common on a car of your year.

Replacing the ECU takes about 40 mins and you can get a replacement from Audi as long as you hand your old one in for about £250.

The pipe can break in two places, under the passenger floor just in front of the passenger front seat, usually accompanied by a smell of bad eggs after a while. Also you BT module is located under the front passenger seat as well and water can get in and kill it from the broke pipe.

The other location is the left hand boot hinge, just above the MMI components, I would remove the rear access panel for the MMI and take a look in there as well for water incursion, usually the parts have a white powder on them where the water has dried out.