RS3: Have you ordered one? Have you received a build date?

ashleywater

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WRC cars have had sequential gearboxes with a big lever for a few years now - similar to a touring car set up but with a big handbrake lever too.

I expect this year's World Rally cars also have sequential boxes.

But then WRC cars have very little to do with their road going equivalents, and those gearboxes bear no resemblance to road going twin clutch set ups in - for example - the Audi and Mitsubishi Evo SST.

Production class rally cars are still predominantly old fashioned manual 'boxes. Not sure a DSG or equivalent would handle the abuse without an expensive rebuild after every event.

They use a manual gearbox with a clutch pedal, but they have a sequential shifter fitted, and straight cut gears, that means at normal road speeds they use the clutch, but at racing speed they shift so quickly they don't use the clutch.

One things for sure, they certainly don't use the twin clutch DSG type boxes, as they aren't up to the abuse they would get on a rally stage.

post-47406-137914471084_thumb.jpg

Hi all. Had an invite to my local Audi group drive day in midhurst today ! thought we would go and test drive the A1 for her and the RS5 for me. to our surprise when we arrived there was a Brand New Rs3 sat in the car park ! Well we saw the white one at goodwood last week and that looked the part this was in black and looked just as good. we went in and saw the dealers who we know from Southampton audi and asked is the Rs3 hear to drive they responded with "yes" it had just arrived Thursday so we are using this instead of the S3 bit annoyed as all slots were taken so we saw one of the top men and said look we have ordered one and would like a drive "ok" he said you can have last of the day when we finish, great this was fine with us as we had drives for 3 & 3.30. we finally went out in the A1 around the set course duel carriageway twisty back roads fast "A" roads great for an all round test, A1 was good but then came the Rs5 of we go car felt real big but quite light on the steering went like s*** of a shovel but seemed heavy ! not quite what i expected just didn’t feel as fast as i thought it would or as sporty quite hard ride but not bone breaking!? then came the Rs3 (extras cruise ele seats black sty pack tint windows may have been more) from the second you turn the key you realise this is going to be good the engine rumbles into life great sound even better when sport button pushed Audi rep in the back of we go, pull out of the golf course and floor it like i had just nicked it wow what a noise and the pull is something else, before we know it past 60mph, this is a quick car feels much better than the Rs5 don’t know why! better steering, better suspension, felt real tight turned in with no issues when where you pointed it, seemed to pull with much more go and when we got down the tight lanes the noise of the engine and turbo just put a smile from ear to ear covered ground with no issues soaked up all the humps and bumps with ease and these were small farm lanes which even felt bad in the A1 but the Rs3 just soaked them up and pulled the tarmac from under us acceleration in all gears blistering, flicking up and down with the paddles those little blurbs from the exhaust when changing down, and when we got to a good long "A" road with only 2/3 cars in front whoosh past them all with ease touched 120mph without trying (better slow down Audi bloke in back) when we got back the first words from Audi rep to his boss were "very impressive car" as it was his first ride as well, i thought my S3 was good but this blew it away!!! Great Piece of Kit cant wait for mine to arrive and i will be back to dealers Monday to book another test drive BRING IT ON.

post-47406-137914471383_thumb.jpg

post-47406-137914471389_thumb.jpg

post-47406-137914471393_thumb.jpg

post-47406-137914471397_thumb.jpg

post-47406-137914471401_thumb.jpg

post-47406-137914471406_thumb.jpg

post-47406-13791447141_thumb.jpg

post-47406-137914471414_thumb.jpg

post-47406-137914471418_thumb.jpg

post-47406-137914471423_thumb.jpg

I took an Ibis White RS3 out for a test drive yesterday. It's a fantastic bit of kit. It just goes, you don't get a massive kick in the back which surprised me given the numbers. There's much more launch in an RS6 for example. It looks the part without shouting too loudly, yes there are no flared arches, but that doesn't put me off. The interior is the A3 interior we all know. I'd definitely be specifying the aluminium inlays, else it is a bit bland. Still, there's no rattles or wobbles.

It handled well, it was wet and I gave it as much as I dared (given the car is already sold!). I'd say it handles better than a Mk5 R32, less weight at the front. I didn't find the ride hard, nor did the wife when she took it for a spin.

Anyone who has ordered won't be disappointed.

I took an Ibis White RS3 out for a test drive yesterday. It's a fantastic bit of kit. It just goes, you don't get a massive kick in the back which surprised me given the numbers. There's much more launch in an RS6 for example. It looks the part without shouting too loudly, yes there are no flared arches, but that doesn't put me off. The interior is the A3 interior we all know. I'd definitely be specifying the aluminium inlays, else it is a bit bland. Still, there's no rattles or wobbles.

It handled well, it was wet and I gave it as much as I dared (given the car is already sold!). I'd say it handles better than a Mk5 R32, less weight at the front. I didn't find the ride hard, nor did the wife when she took it for a spin.

Anyone who has ordered won't be disappointed.

Did it just feel the same as your TT-RS?

I don't have a TT-RS (I don't cut hair :P). I'm looking for something to replace an R32.

I spec'd a Golf R. Came to 42k. That's over 10k more than the R32 was! Still, popping into VW tomorrow, might have another nosey.

Sorry, I was mixing you up with someone called Anakin who has had a R32, Rocco R and now has an orange TT-RS

My racing mica rs3 has been allocated week 37, complete with Ali pack, buckets and lots og other goodies.

Can't wait for it to arrive :D

Can I ask when it was ordered, I am not getting a lot of feedback from the dealer I am using and I think they may have left my order lying around for a while before securing a place in the queue as I have build week 49.

My dad doesn't know much or care about cars, but he told me his friend just collected an RS3. My friend who used to see my dads same friends old E90 M3 parked in the same spot now said a black RS3 with black and red wheels is parked in it's spot. Hope that helps you fellas in some way.

Can I ask when it was ordered, I am not getting a lot of feedback from the dealer I am using and I think they may have left my order lying around for a while before securing a place in the queue as I have build week 49.

Deposit was paid on December 2010

I have heard that they re suffering from part shortages, Ali packs and recaros as the majority have been ordered with these options.

Deposit was paid on December 2010

I have heard that they re suffering from part shortages, Ali packs and recaros as the majority have been ordered with these options.

Yeah mine was also Paid rightat the end of December. I am surprised by the 12 week difference in build date if your deposit was also end of December? I do have some of the options you mentioned although did request to the dealer to let me know if there was anything adding to the delay so I could have the choice of removing it.

Yeah mine was also Paid rightat the end of December. I am surprised by the 12 week difference in build date if your deposit was also end of December? I do have some of the options you mentioned although did request to the dealer to let me know if there was anything adding to the delay so I could have the choice of removing it.

I know Suzuka Grey is one colour that will cause delays die to the shortage of pigment following the Japanese tsunami..

I know Suzuka Grey is one colour that will cause delays die to the shortage of pigment following the Japanese tsunami..

Not so, Suzuka Grey was one of the colours not affected by Tsunami, Daytona Grey was......there has been no reason forwarded from Audi as to why the delay on Suzuka, but I have heard from an on the money source, that it's availability as a standard colour on only R8 / TTRS,makes it a colour that is not used in any volume, so the factory only orders and uses in relative terms,fairly minimal and limited quantities,and the next batch is due in about now to the factory, so take into account there August shut down, and you are not going to be seeing anything in Suzuka till week 38 earliest, so the story goes.........I have to say, that they really have been worse than shite, in keeping their customers informed on their own individual orders, and it really is no way to treat customers, who have laid down their hard earned, it is not ultimately Audi UK or Stealers to blame,as they are getting zero info as well.........that being said, a courtesy call to say "we are doing our best etc etc etc" would not go amiss IMHO..........

My dad doesn't know much or care about cars, but he told me his friend just collected an RS3. My friend who used to see my dads same friends old E90 M3 parked in the same spot now said a black RS3 with black and red wheels is parked in it's spot. Hope that helps you fellas in some way.

Maybe the M3 is in for a service? :coffee: