30D v's 35D

AudiPartner

Whilst I'm toying with the idea of an X6, I need to establish if I'd go for the 30D or the twin turbo 35D. I'm hung up on running costs for some reason, so the better MPG's and the lower car tax of the 30D is appealing. But then so is the idea of 2 turbos instead of just 1! Lol.

Whichever I get I guess I would chip it anyway, but what are both engines like? Thanks.

Adam

I reckon the 35d is kinda essential in the X5 or X6 due to their weight. I had a previous model 3.0d X5 which went pretty well, the newer model 3.0d seemed too heavy for the engine so I bought a new model 35d X5. I have the same 35d engine in a 3 Series Coupe and the X5 is nowhere near as fast due to its weight but the 35d moves the X5 along very nicely. Is now of course replaced with the 40d with a little more bhp and the 8 speed box if buying a newish model.

• 2 weeks later...

No doubt , the 35d (40d) is faster, but the 30d isn't slow by any means. Once I'd taken the X6 30d to Evolve and had it tweaked it was very quick, quicker than the equiv 35d by some distance. The single turbo also sounds nicer, has a throaty roar that my 535d didn't, I guess the extra turbo attenuated the 6 cyl growl.

Faye opted for the 30d X5 (2011) model with the new 8 speed box and it's pretty good without any mods, but a fair chunk more money over what you've been looking at.

No doubt , the 35d (40d) is faster, but the 30d isn't slow by any means. Once I'd taken the X6 30d to Evolve and had it tweaked it was very quick, quicker than the equiv 35d by some distance. The single turbo also sounds nicer, has a throaty roar that my 535d didn't, I guess the extra turbo attenuated the 6 cyl growl.

Faye opted for the 30d X5 (2011) model with the new 8 speed box and it's pretty good without any mods, but a fair chunk more money over what you've been looking at.

This is where it gets confusing. The 3d 2011 models of x5 and x6 with the 8 speed box are the older 35d engines iirc. My Dad has and X6 35d but as its last years model it has the 6 speed box.

The 2011 model line up is 8 speed 3d and 4d. The 3d being the old 35d and the 4d taking things on a bit.

Breath....... Of couse I might have just dreamed all of that up and am talking nonsense.

Edited by billy2shots

This is where it gets confusing. The 3d 2011 models of x5 and x6 with the 8 speed box are the older 35d engines iirc. My Dad has and X6 35d but as its last years model it has the 6 speed box.

The 2011 model line up is 8 speed 3d and 4d. The 3d being the old 35d and the 4d taking things on a bit. Just to confuse things more I think there are two 3d with different power outputs. Breath....... Of course I might have just dreamed all of that up and am talking nonsense.

Pre September 2010: All have six-speed automatic gearboxes

30d - 231bhp single turbo 3.0l diesel in-line 6cyl

35d - 281bhp twin turbo 3.0l diesel in-line 6cyl

35i - 268bhp twin turbo 3.0l petrol in-line 6cyl

4.8i - 350bhp non-turbo 4.8l petrol V8

Post September 2010: All have eight-speed automatic gearboxes

30d - 241bhp single turbo 3.0l diesel in-line 6cyl

40d - 301bhp twin turbo 3.0l diesel in-line 6cyl

35i - no longer available

50i - 402bhp twin-turbo 4.4l petrol V8

BMW X5 (07 on) - Facts & Figures - Parkers

Edited by Biscuits

That's what I'm talking about!!! Right, I'm back to wanting an X6 for everyday enjoyment. The RS4 would be nuts, but can't afford to run it every day.

Essentials: Media Pack (don't think I've ever seen one without TBH), Bluetooth, USB interface, 20" YSpoke, ALUMINIUM interior trim. £500 for Evolve remap

Whilst I'm toying with the idea of an X6, I need to establish if I'd go for the 30D or the twin turbo 35D. I'm hung up on running costs for some reason, so the better MPG's and the lower car tax of the 30D is appealing. But then so is the idea of 2 turbos instead of just 1! Lol.

Whichever I get I guess I would chip it anyway, but what are both engines like? Thanks.

Adam

I had the 35d engine in my X6 Paul, and had it chipped, it was quicker than STD and returned 27/30MPG average.

With the new 8 speed box it should be quicker and much more economical IMO.

If you compare the new 550i M Sport and the old, the 8 speed box gives the new f10 550i 80MPH @ 1800 RPM and thats just idling, the same should be for the X^ with the same box.

PS) parking the X6 is some job it's soooo wide.:eek: