RS4 - what mpg COULD you get...

AudiPartner

...if you really tried!

In real life, what fuel economy could I return if I really tried on a 40 mile commute, on major A roads/motorways. I have a hang up on running costs at the moment. Obviously its not that bad lol otherwise I wouldnt be trying to talk myself in to such a car, I think its just a physcological thing!

In the next month or so I will be starting a 40 mile each way commute, probably 4 time a week. I downgraded my car recently to release some funds and to achieve better mpg's but feck me its boring driving a 4 pot diesel A3. If I'm gonna be stuck in traffic on the A21 every night, I want to be smiling about it, and thats where the RS4 comes in. The only other car that appeals to me right now is the X6, but they are around £10k more which is a budget buster at the moment...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there's traffic involved then the 4.2 lump is thirsty! It's much happier doing 80/90 than stop/start.

Is it a decent route? If not it seems a bit of a waste getting an RS4 for it as it could be just as boring but more frustrating.

It can be a decent route, but it can be a shi77y route if you catch it on a bad day. Sometimes you can sit at 80 mph for 35 miles of it, other times can be stop start. In all honestly even on a bad day at least half of the journey I suppose will be at "reasonable pace" shall we say.

Not got an RS4 but I do have a similarly powered V8 which is similar for fuel consumption I am told ... it is a week old to me.

Stop start expect 18 or less - mine does about 16. On a motorway at a 80mph cruise controlled journey I saw 22.2 which I was pleased with.

My early thoguht on cars like these is that they are utterly wasted in major towns. As soon as you begin to spank it you are either being very naughty or actually unable to for traffic and space. "I'll give it a little poke here - oh, I'm behind the car in front already".

In mine, if you spank it in anything other than 2nd, you will be facing major licence pointage on all UK roads. So much for 6 gears!!

As soon as you begin to spank it you are either being very naughty or actually unable to for traffic and space. "I'll give it a little poke here - oh, I'm behind the car in front already".

In mine, if you spank it in anything other than 2nd, you will be facing major licence pointage on all UK roads. So much for 6 gears!!

and yet you still bought it... good man! :o)

To be honest I didn't realise to what extent using it in traffic was a waste (of both potential and petrol). However, I didn't buy it with that in mind; it will be positioned in Scotland where with the open roads it does make sense (sort of).

It is a bl00dy nice place to sit thogh so I don't regret it for even a nano second! I even spent an hour in it last night just sitting there trying some of the settings out with the manual on my lap too! FM, AM, LW, SW and DAB presets done along with a load of addresses for the sat nav. Seat position sorted. Air con ferocity configured ...

In fact, why don't you buy an M3 instead!

My worst mpg when commuting was a 4 mile drive that took 40 minutes (because of all the queued traffic), in the winter I got all of 16mpg from my B7 RS4 (in the summer I got about 20mpg).

My best commuting mpg was on an 18 mile drive of which about half was motorway, on that I got about 22mpg.

The best mpg I've ever seen was on a hot balmy summer holiday in the South of France where I managed 26mpg.

If there's traffic involved then the 4.2 lump is thirsty! It's much happier doing 80/90 than stop/start.

Is it a decent route? If not it seems a bit of a waste getting an RS4 for it as it could be just as boring but more frustrating.

6 mpg was your personal best (or rather worst) in London wasn't it?!

In the next month or so I will be starting a 40 mile each way commute, probably 4 time a week. I downgraded my car recently to release some funds and to achieve better mpg's but feck me its boring driving a 4 pot diesel A3. If I'm gonna be stuck in traffic on the A21 every night, I want to be smiling about it, and thats where the RS4 comes in.

Agree with Scotty - I'd much rather be in the A3 if I was sat in traffic and I was the one paying the fuel bill. Can you run both? Then you could still be smiling a smug grin whilst sat in a queue, safe in the knowledge your RS4 was tucked up at home waiting for you.....

Even on clear motorways with the cruise set, 300 miles is about as far as you will realistically go between fill ups. Maybe with a fuel can in the boot and running the tank dry you'd achieve at best 330. That would be 22.7 mpg from the 66 litre tank. The DIS over-reads by quite some way, 2 - 3 mpg, depressing when you work out the real mpg.

40 miles x 2 x 4 days a week is 320 miles, so you'll be needing more than a tank a week just to go to work and back. Almost £95 for V Power, sod that!

Plenty more threads in the B7 forum on RS246.com

6 mpg was your personal best (or rather worst) in London wasn't it?!

Yup. 1 hour to do 6 miles and the DIS said 6mpg .... which knowing the Audi DIS means it was really less than that.

I only did the London commute once in that car !

40 miles x 2 x 4 days a week is 320 miles, so you'll be needing more than a tank a week just to go to work and back. Almost £95 for V Power, sod that!

Plenty more threads in the B7 forum on RS246.com

£100/week is a scary thought, but I suppose its costing almost £50/week anyway so its £50 extra per week to do the journey in the RS4. Hmmm... thats still a pretty big increase...

Knowing the route (A21) recon you'd average 18/19 in an RS4 apart from when the traffic goes gaga. Lovely car, but filling up three times a fortnight minimum will p you off after a few months, despite that wonderful V8 sound.

335d or X6 30d will get double these figures, but are smelly diesels.

To be honest, as much as the B7 RS4 is a fantastic car, if you're already questioning the cost of ownership you've probably made your mind up already. £50 a week extra (apart from the extra costs of servicing, insurance, tyres etc) on fuel just to go to work will soon p1ss you off. It may be boring but the A3 is the ideal car for your daily commute. Why not get something for the weekend/fun, you'll have at least £50 a week to put towards it!

A couple of the things that put me off RS4 ownership was the technology in them - quite old now although CraigyB can probably help with some of that, plus the extended warranty costs a small fortune. The extended warranty on the RS4 was something like £1,600 a year compared to about £700 on the M3.

I also didn't like the perpetual whinging about warped brakes and carbon engine build up I found on forums; whilst the latter might be a load of old tosh, it put some uncertainty into my mind at least.

my A3 is the 170 S-line, DSG. Its ok, but it just does absolutely nothing for me. I don't enjoy being in it at all. "You don't need to enjoy it" you may say, but I have always enjoyed my cars up to now, so its a struggle to accept I shouldn't get enjoyment from it. Altho it has full leather and Bose, (and now sat nav) its still a basic spec so without things like anti glare rearview mirror, MF steering wheel etc, it feels like an old car.

Two cars would be good in a way, but then its two lots of road tax, two lots of cleaning, extra insurance (when I struggle as it is) etc etc, and I would really struggle to use the A3 if I had an RS4 in the garage. Its there to enjoy man!! I have this issue where I think I need miles per gallon, but if I can afford it, which I can, its more about the smiles per mile!

At the moment I want an X6, but havent got £35k to spend. I can get an RS4 for £25k, possibly less. I can see myself getting one, keeping it until I realise I can't justify the extra running costs (or maybe not) and then chopping that in for a newer much better spec'd A3 or similar.