Photo
- - - - -

On the spot fines for carless drivers....

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 cruiser647

cruiser647

BBC Correspondant

• Members
  • 28,212 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:49 AM

BBC News - On-the-spot fines planned for careless driving

Could be interesting?
Maybe a few tw4ts will take note of the stupid manoeuvres they perform?
But, once again depends upon the copper on the day?

Do you class it as 'performing a manoeuvre that makes another driver take avoiding action' or some such? Or just being plain stupid?

Edited by cruiser647, 11 May 2011 - 09:59 AM.
Can't spell!

You are the son of a thousand fathers. Every one of them, a ******* like you!

#2 CarMad

CarMad

• Moderators
  • 15,302 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:08 PM

Could be a good thing but what about the repeat offender that would normally lose there licence with this it appears that they might just get more fines, surely that element can't be right. I assume they check past offences before giving out the punishment?!!?

#3 spikeyboy

spikeyboy

Mini Cooper S

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 01:11 PM

Sounds to me that its going to be very similar to current speeding offenses - minor offenses you get 3 points and £80 fine on the spot, major offenses you still go to court.

Seems like a good idea to me, should save the police and courts a lot of time so they can concentrate on more serious matters
2003 Noggy S4 Avant, AMD Stage 3,Sun Roof,Sat-Nav,Parking Sensors,Cruise Control,6 CD,Bose,Xenon Lights, Heated/Electric Seats,Rear Airbags,Welcome Home/ Auto Lights,Dipping Rear View/Wing Mirrors,Folding Mirrors,ISOfix:)

#4 jamieg

jamieg

Citroen C1 GT

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:40 PM

I can see this could be a good idea for some real idiots however the police/law makers need to deal with certain problems like middle/3rd lane hoggers get people out of these lane if not overtaking and to a degree the problem will go away - don't get me wrong there are some people undertaking stupidly.

It's typical really, like someone breaking into your house, you give em a bashing to protect your family and you are hauled up in court as the offender.

But on the whole anything that can help with total idiots can't be a bad thing but the police will be after anyone and everyone.

#5 Soulboy

Soulboy

Nissan GTR

• Members
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:26 PM

I assume the title should have been 'careless driver's' ...............not sure you can have a 'carless driver'
:grin:

#6 Tipex

Tipex

A right arse

• Members
  • 17,058 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:08 AM

So how else am I meant to overtake someone who won't get out of the fast lane, if I can't tailgate them flashing my headlights, or undertake them?

The law is a joke!

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.

#7 cruiser647

cruiser647

BBC Correspondant

• Members
  • 28,212 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 09:55 AM

I assume the title should have been 'careless driver's' ...............not sure you can have a 'carless driver'
:grin:

Ahhh! I changed the title, but the damage had already been done in the URL!

#8 garcon magnifique

garcon magnifique

Jezabelle

• Members
  • 25,140 posts
  • Locationnot found

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:54 AM

I completely agree that carless drivers should receive on the spot fines - they just get in the way. :P

So how else am I meant to overtake someone who won't get out of the fast lane, if I can't tailgate them flashing my headlights, or undertake them?

The law is a joke!

Given that a police officer would need to witness you tailgating/flashing your lights, he would also have witnessed the other driver hogging the outside lane - so presumably you'd both get a fine. ;)

I did not have sexual relations with that donkey.

#9 Tipex

Tipex

A right arse

• Members
  • 17,058 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:58 AM

Well that's hardly fair is it, if the slower driver had been driving properly, I wouldn't have to tailgate/undertake them.

There should be dispensation for drivers who's actions have been caused by another road users!

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.

#10 garcon magnifique

garcon magnifique

Jezabelle

• Members
  • 25,140 posts
  • Locationnot found

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:02 AM

Well hopefully this would be applied in the spirit of giving police more discretion. So depending what you did, how dangerous it looked and what mood the copper's in, he might let you off.

Then again, if he recognises you/sees your licence badge, you're fooked. :grin:

I did not have sexual relations with that donkey.

#11 cruiser647

cruiser647

BBC Correspondant

• Members
  • 28,212 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 11:52 AM

Well that's hardly fair is it, if the slower driver had been driving properly, I wouldn't have to tailgate/undertake them.

There should be dispensation for drivers who's actions have been caused by another road users!

I fear you might need to employ the services of the local doughnut vendor to keep the coppers sweet.

Now, where did Black-Rat go? Our very own TSN Mobile Met Copper?

#12 Soulboy

Soulboy

Nissan GTR

• Members
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 07:42 PM

Ah.....but there's no dibble left on the road to implement anything is there?

#13 NewNiceMrMe

NewNiceMrMe

Findle Kneve

• Members
  • 43,693 posts
  • LocationHere, obviously.

Posted 12 May 2011 - 08:38 PM

I like the idea. As long as I'm not given a spot fine, obviously.

****OffTwinspark_zpsc67c2dd5.png

#14 steelwind101

steelwind101

Audi RS4

• Members
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 08:48 AM

I like the idea. As long as I'm not given a spot fine, obviously.

From everything i have seen this appears to be general opinion of the population!
Rhodesia, what a time it was

Ole Mugabes Farm, he plants crisps b/c he likes crisps (comical)

#15 shao_khan

shao_khan

yao_khant

• Moderators
  • 21,394 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:58 AM

I dont see how its going to work, the only time around me I see a police officer is when they have a portable speed gun or in the scamera van - surely for this to work you would actually need traffic officers out on the road in order to spot the offence?

I like the idea, and had put proposals to automatically police this via camera technology at a conservative party meeting a few years ago - apparently they considered my proposal a little draconian :(
I am not afraid of tomorrow for I have seen yesterday and I love today. WAW +++

#16 RUStillDown?

RUStillDown?

Shank's Pony

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 09:12 PM

BBC News - On-the-spot fines planned for careless driving

Could be interesting?

What a sexist policy!! ;)

#17 aj84

aj84

Vauxhall Corsa VXR

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

Two minds here
The last 2 mornings, I've had two right muppets (in an old shape M3 and a new shape Astra) on my tail who I would have loved to have fined on the spot
Astra almost collided with a van after over taking me, under taking 2 others and then finally the attempt of overtaking the van - one could only hope he did collide!

On the flip-side, could I get one for playing dodgem's with potholes? There are 2 roads on my route to work where I am all over my lane trying to avoid craters. To anyone behind me, I'm probably a drunk!

On another note, is it me or has there been a sudden increase on the number of people on their phones (holding)?

#18 steelwind101

steelwind101

Audi RS4

• Members
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:11 PM

This past week there was a traffic police car parked up at the end of the high road. I was behind someone who was happily doing 30 MPH when he spotted the police (about 15 meters away!) he gets on the brakes and rolls past at 20 and im of course right on his bumper.....

Who would and should of got a ticket is probably just about anyones guess depending on the cop.
Rhodesia, what a time it was

Ole Mugabes Farm, he plants crisps b/c he likes crisps (comical)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users