Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billy2shots

Boxing Haye V Klitschko and box office.

168 posts in this topic

No thread on this yet?

Now most of the media work is out of the way what do people think? Does Haye look nervous or like he says is he putting all his effort into training rather than talking?

who do you think will win and how?

IMHO I think Klitschko has come out of the media circus better than Haye. Even in a second/third languge he sounds smarter than David Haye and I also think the hand shake thing was a brilliant piece of mind games and made Haye look childish.

I want Haye to win but my head says Klitschko is just too strong and classy for him. Should be a grate fight and well worth the box office price.

On Box Office (pay per view) I didn't want to start a different thread but it's becoming a joke. They think they can charge extra for anything these days and they get away with it because some people just pay regardless.

Please tell me how George Groves Vs James Degale (and Nathan Cleverly) warrants being shown on Box office for £15 or £20. I know they hate each other but they are both at the start of their careers and are not in the world class bracket.

Yes Cleverly has been rushed to a world title fight but i'm sorry I pay through the nose for Sky Sports and this should be a Friday fight night or Saturday big time boxing not a pay per view.

i've never paid for a box office event before but this one has got me sorely tempted, i'm guessing it will be at a sensible time because it's in Germany, any idea on the price yet?

I'm with you, i'd like to see Haye win but I think Klitschko has probably got too much for him.

I'll never pay for pay-per-view on Sky, as I think it's ridiculously expensive, and an utter con when you already pay for sports anyway, why should one sport cost more to watch than any other? Particularly a sport with far lower viewing figures than ones you can watch without paying extra anyway, and that is usually on at stupid o'clock in the morning.

So, assuming it's on at a sensible time, I'll probably go down the pub and watch it.

I reckon I'll get down the pub to watch it. I thought Haye was in with a good chance of a win but then I know sod all about boxing. Wladimir is certainly a big ba5tard!

May watch it if I can find somewhere to see it. Hoping klitschko takes haye to school and beats him utterly senseless. I don't think it's going to be a replay of something like the rahman fight where wlad just had target practice, but I think if he's on form, he will open haye up and take him down. Think it'd be hoping for too much for wlad to make a mess of him, but I can live in hope.

Haye is a bit of an unknown quantity imo. I really have no idea whether he is potentially brilliant, or just ok.

As for box office. I would be reluctant to pay for any heavyeright, as they seldom go any distance, and if they do the second half if the fight is a grappling match.

I would love a middle or welter weight division like the old Duran / Haggler / Hearns / Leonard days.

Every fight was a gem......and free. It was when I was boxing and assumed it was normal, and have been a bit disappointed with boxing ever since.

How on earth is a man who unified the Cruiserweight division, a feat only previously achieved by the great Evander Holyfield, be an unknown quantity! He is only an unknown quantity to anyone who doesn't follow boxing!

The fact is that Haye is a brilliant mouthpiece who occasionally speaks a lot of sense. One of those occasions is when he accuses the Klits of making it a boring division...and he is entirely correct in that accusation.

As much as I would like to write reams on this, I won't. Haye will win. Speed kills, at all divisions. That and the fact Haye is possibly the hardest hitter in the division right now is what matters. It Wladimir can't see the punches coming, he cannot stop them. I don't think Haye is nervous one bit. I think he will terrif Wladmir once he feels the weight of the punches.

Dwell on this, compared to either of the Klits last 17 opponents, David Haye throws 5 times as many punches and only 1 of them has recorded a heavier punch. Haye is the real deal who fights to the style of his opponent and tha sometimes means a very protracted and uneventful few rounds....but he will get Wladimir, I'm certain of it.

PPV keeps the sport alive. Terrestrial TV won't pay the money. It's plain and simple economics.

I buy all televised PPV boxing, including the recent mismatch that saw Shane Moseley made an idiot of by a man I am now convinced in the second best boxer I have ever seen in my lifetime.

De Gale has world class promise. The fight is PPV because they offered much more money than ITV, so yet again it is plain common sense for the fighters. Cleverly hasn't been rushed into a title fight though, in my view. He is a quite exceptional talent who deserves his shot. Besides, nobody else wants to fight him now, so he had little choice but to issue a title challenge.

The best hasn't been given give his chance yet though. Just wait until Kell Brook has a few more fights under his belt. He'll take the world by storm. Utterly fabulous boxer - and terrifyingly hard. Brook could be the biggest thing this country has seen since Lennox Lewis on the world stage. He reminds me of Joe Calzaghe...without brittle hands.

As far as I'm concerned, PPV isn't common sense at all, quite the opposite in fact, and is detrimental to the sport in the long run as it can only lose fans, no one pays to watch a sporting event unless they are already a fan, so you have no new fans coming in, as no one is going to pay to watch something they aren't sure they'd like, whereas if it was free, people will watch it and see.

I, like millions of others like me, don't watch boxing simply because I won't pay for it, if it was on a free channel, or even on a normal subscription channel, I'd watch it.

The money they get paid by PPV may be more than ITV etc offer, but thats only one part of the revenue, the advertising revenue would be much higher on a free channel, as the audience would be bigger.

May watch it if I can find somewhere to see it. Hoping klitschko takes haye to school and beats him utterly senseless. I don't think it's going to be a replay of something like the rahman fight where wlad just had target practice, but I think if he's on form, he will open haye up and take him down. Think it'd be hoping for too much for wlad to make a mess of him, but I can live in hope.

How is Wladimir going to open him up if he can't catch him?

What relevance is a fight 3 years ago with a then 36 year old fat Rahman? It has absolutely no hope of being a repeat of that! Why would a fight between Wladimir and one of the slowest punchers of the last decade (statistically proven) be of any comparison to one between him and the fastest heavyweight since Mike Tyson?

I'd love to know why you chose that fight!

The Klitschko's are contractually thieves who had turned the division into a dourfest of epic proportions but have a very good PR manager. Neither will go down in the Top 50 heavyweights of all time.

Let's not forget Haye won't become a "great" though because he will retire in October as he has always planned to, win or lose, and that includes if Vitali doesn't offer him a fight once he's rid the sport of his younger brother.

As far as I'm concerned, PPV isn't common sense at all, quite the opposite in fact, and is detrimental to the sport in the long run as it can only lose fans, no one pays to watch a sporting event unless they are already a fan, so you have no new fans coming in, as no one is going to pay to watch something they aren't sure they'd like, whereas if it was free, people will watch it and see.

I, like millions of others like me, don't watch boxing simply because I won't pay for it, if it was on a free channel, or even on a normal subscription channel, I'd watch it.

The money they get paid by PPV may be more than ITV etc offer, but thats only one part of the revenue, the advertising revenue would be much higher on a free channel, as the audience would be bigger.

So tell me why all the big fights have gone to PPV? Because the promoters will get less money?

Come on Tipex, that's very naive. The revenue is massively more than on terrestrial TV, and I'm afraid that is a fact and why it has happened.

How is Wladimir going to open him up if he can't catch him?

What relevance is a fight 3 years ago with a then 36 year old fat Rahman? It has absolutely no hope of being a repeat of that! Why would a fight between Wladimir and one of the slowest punchers of the last decade (statistically proven) be of any comparison to one between him and the fastest heavyweight since Mike Tyson?

I'd love to know why you chose that fight!

The Klitschko's are contractually thieves who had turned the division into a dourfest of epic proportions but have a very good PR manager. Neither will go down in the Top 50 heavyweights of all time.

Let's not forget Haye won't become a "great" though because he will retire in October as he has always planned to, win or lose, and that includes if Vitali doesn't offer him a fight once he's rid the sport of his younger brother.

Just the first fight that sprung to mind where wladimir was able to dominate his opponent. I wasn't drawing a parallel with rahman and haye. I was saying that it isn't going to be like that, (hence picking a boxer who is very different to haye) and that wlad will need to be on form to be able to open haye up, unlike against rahman where he had about 5 minutes to pick his punch.

I am more at the stage of hoping against hope that wlad can beat haye senseless. Mostly because while haye is a terrific boxer, I really can't stand him.

Don't be taken in by the Haye pre-fight act.

He has been angling for this for years and has made it happen.

However, if Haye does lose you'll hear him hand plaudits to Wladimir - guaranteed.

If it is the other way round, you can expect nothing of the same. Instead, Vitali will hog the first interview of Haye and do his best to tell everyone how unlucky his brother was. Haye is a brilliant showman but a gracious person outside of the ring.

Think of this....if they're both such amazing fighters, who don't need the money and want the best for boxing....

Why is the fight in Germany when it should be in Vegas?

Because they're scared Haye might get a points verdict which they know will never happen in Germany.

Why haven't they fought more in the USA?

Again, see above.

They know Haye is their biggest threat in a decade. They're scared of what might happen and they aren't interested in holding career defining fights in Vegas....they're just want to make sure they get a decision, no matter what, if it goes to the judges...

Just looking at wlad's career record he has a certain 'affinity' to Germany (and the judges there) and I do admit Haye's probably had to concede to hold it in germany in order to get the fight, which i respect him for as he is giving up ground in the event of a tight bout. I don't think they are amazing fighters, and the only reason they have belts is the poor state of the division.

The klitsckos are very businesslike. get the belts, fight the fights, take the purse. Personally, I don't mind it. It's not great for the sport, but then if it were in a better state, we would have some more fighters like haye.

I still can't LIKE david haye though. Massive amounts of respect, but I cannot like him.

It's not their business minded approach I don't like. That's to be expected.

It's the way they tie fighters up in contracts.

The reason the previously arranged fight and numerous attempts at getting other dates on didn't happen was because of their "Face me, face my brother, then face me again" attitude in contracts.

If Haye had beaten Vitali, he had to face Wlad, fair enough. But then he had to face Vitali again, then Wlad again. Why?

They're not liked in the USA for their avoidance of it at all costs and no true great has ever avoided the big Vegas fights. It's the mecca of boxing and you have to fight, and win, there to become an ATG.

It's the reason I can't stand Bernard Hopkins. He's obviously fought plenty in the US - but he avoids any travel elsewhere at all costs (see below).

Roy Jones Jnr fought in the UK to take on Calzaghe. I respect him for that although he should have been over here 10 years before. He will go down as one of the greatest fighters of all time and rightly so. Possibly the Top 5 when it comes to Pound for Pound greats.

However, Hopkins point blank refuses to fight in Europe. His last fight was in Canada when he had little choice to go there to take the belt from Pascal, and early in his career he fought a no-hoper in Ecuador.

Mayweather deserves criticism for it too - he's never once fought outside of the USA. However, he has never had cause to because he holds all the trump cards. Pacquiao has fought in Thailand and Japan to get his career started many years ago, not to mention the fact the USA isn't his 'home' and he has regularly entertained home fans with bouts in the Phillipines.

For all he went out on his back, Hatton will be able to look back as a Hall of Famer but not quite 'Elite'. He was just unfortunate to be around at a time of the two greatest welterweights in history, but his CV has multiple appearances in Vegas on it, along with Boston, Wembley, Detroit, New York and even Oberhausen in Germany on it.

Some fighters will be able to look back and say they didn't duck fights - far too many won't.

Do you think Haye will really retire at 31? I guess he will earn enough money from his fight (or two) to live comfortably but what will he do? Must be quite a come-down if he does unify the heavy weight titles and then does nothing more fight-wise.

Categorically, yes.

He doesn't need money now Andrew. He's not going into these fights for money, he's fighting for the chance to unify the belts just as he did at Cruiserweight. He has banked about £10m already.

He promised his wife and children that he'd stop at 31 and those close to him say that there is no chance whatsoever of him changing that.

His post-boxing career is already taken care of. He has a mass of movie offers on his doorstep and it is strongly rumoured he'll be off to the USA to become a rather big star in action films.

Bit like Goldie did then?! I'm looking forward to this scrap now ... the chat on here about it has ignited my interest.

I'm going to judge all future MrMe boxing posts purely on the outcome of this thread. He talks the talk about the history but does he really know his stuff? Time will tell... ;)

So if I was going for a little wager would you say Haye by KO?

My initial round by round guide....(because I think this fight is that predictable):

Round 1- lots of periods of no activity. Wlad sounding out Haye with the jab, Haye ducking and putting a flurry together near the end - but little else

Round 2 - as above, but Haye going to the body once or twice, but very boring otherwise

Round 3 - Wlad rises to the crowd and wades in a bit more, catches Haye and he backs off a little with Wlad in pursuit - at which point Haye catches him with a huge right and Wlad then wanders about with his guard up for 30 seconds

Round 4 - Wlad backs off, a little stunned from the right hand of the previous round, Haye starts to lay it on, left, right, lots of dancing about and the odd bit of baiting Wlad

Round 5 - Haye comes in fast, starts to lord it about a bit amd Wlad gets hacked off and hits back, hurtiing Haye with a glancing blow just as the bell goes...

Round 6 - Wlad comes out full of confidence, goes straight into Haye and tries battering him for the first minute. Haye ducks down, dances off and then unleashes a huge right that puts Wlad clean on his back. Wlad gets up and stumbles through to the bell.

Round 7 - Haye takes his time but picks him off until the ref steps in as Wlad is stood with his arms up and not throwing back. The End.

Then...

Vitali jumps into the ring and lunges at Haye, taunting him and being all big brother-like saying what he'll do to him. Haye nods at him and says 'yeah, yeah, go stop him crying'.

Then...

Press frenzy and Haye demands the Vitali fight at Wembley - but it never happens because Vitali acts like a prick and won't travel. Haye retires, boxing suffers.

I hope the latter doesn't happen, but don't be surprised if it does.

His post-boxing career is already taken care of. He has a mass of movie offers on his doorstep and it is strongly rumoured he'll be off to the USA to become a rather big star in action films.

He'll probably get more out of that than boxing ever did too.

stuff... Haye tears Wlad a new a-hole... stuff...

Interesting predictions.

Haye is about 2.8 to win so the betting public don't share your confidence, Haye rounds 7 -9 is 8.2, Haye round 7 is 17.0.

Tempting :)

I don't like round betting particularly but 2.8 on a Haye win looks like good value.

I always remember at Uni I was watching a Prince Naseem fight in a hotel bar with a few mates and confidently predicted a 3rd round knock out by Haseem after a dummy jab by Naseem, hook with the other hand then a quick flurry of punches. The looks on my mates faces when it turned out exactly as I'd said it would was priceless. Complete fluke of course but if you bullsh!t with confidence people think you know what you're talking about :roflmao:

I wouldn't put a bet on a round and never would in boxing.

The only thing with Haye is to listen to him very carefully - before he is still the only man who has a 100% record when he names a round...and does it.

He did it against Fraudley when, 2 months before the fight, he said "I'll do him in the third. I want to make him feel the pain first."

However, he only ever says it once. So far he's not named the round. All he's said is "Wladimir is getting violently knocked out. And you should put violently in big letters." :roflmao:

Like Mayweather, he has turned trash-talk into an art form. I don't like it, but he is undeniably good at it.

Didn't he name a couple of rounds this time?

And have they confirmed a GMT time for the fight? I can't be bothered to stay up until stupid o'clock to watch it, but would love to go down the pub. Would be a great atmosphere.

Not yet but it is likely to be 8pm or 9pm.

The Klit's always fight reasonably early.

Not yet but it is likely to be 8pm or 9pm.

The Klit's always fight reasonably early.

Saweeet +++