Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
avantissimo

Winter Tyres on F10 BMW 530d M Sport

6 posts in this topic

Just considering changing my Audi A6 (C6) 3.0 Supercharged quattro for a BMW 530d M Sport.

I've had four Audis know - all totally brilliant, and a true all weather car, but I fancied something different.

I really like the Beemer 530d in M-Sport trim but am worried about the car in winter due to poor traction in the snow. A couple of guys at work have 5 series and they were rubbish in the winter.

I know a lot of this is down to tyres - even my Audi runs on Conti Sport Contact 3's in the winter and they are not great, but the quattro does really, really does help - not to mention quick get aways in the wet too!

The questions I want to know is that can you replace the 19" summer tyres on the BMW with 19" winter tyres as most posts suggest using 17" - which I think would look rubbish on a car that size.

Anyone got any useful comments?

Thanks.

The way Winter tyres work means that they need a deeper sidewall so that's why they don't tend to be in large sizes and if they are then they would be too big for your car.

Going for 17" isn't that bad and you should stay mobile.

Pirelli W240 SnowSport 245/40R19 98V XL

Pirelli W240 SnowSport 245/40R18 97V XL

Nokian WR G2 245/45R18 100V XL

Pirelli W240 SnowSport 245/40R18 93V Runflat

I agree, 17's Will look a bit naff on the m-sport so I've given you a few size options above. the biggest difference, apart from the ride is price, 19's will be double the cost of 17's.