Jaguar xf - am I old enough

Insurance Jon

Morning all! I just thought I'd stick my head in and ask tsn for a reality check. I've had some pretty in heavy metal in my car ownership timeline, but now my needs are different. I currently drive a rr vogue, and I love it. It also doesn't depreciate that badly, and puts up with abuse from the family without batting an eyelid.

But, with the rising cost of diesel the economy is pretty poor. I'm obviously not looking for a hybrid, but the jaguar xf 3.0 looks lovely, and on paper is 60% better than my vogue.

The bits that are making think are:

1. Are jags still perceived as "old man"?

2. Do they still depreciate like a smoking spitfire falling from the sky?

3. Anyone driven one? What are they like?

4. What alternatives are there for <50k, that comfy, classy, quick?

New jags definitely don't have the old man image any more, the X-type was the last jag you could say that about, and thats long gone now.

Anyone who says the interior of either the XF or XJ looks cheap has clearly never been in one, as you just couldn't rationally form that opinion.

Don't worry about what anyone else thinks, just go and play in a few, I'd bet money you'll be impressed!

And if your really worried about the image thing, you couldn't really do much worse that your current RR, other than an X5 or Q7!

But it's opinion again, isn't it?

I have been in an XF and I do think the interiors look a little tacky. Overdone, for want of a better word.

I do think they still have the old man image too, especially the XJ that Jon is enquiring about (although I've also been in a brand new XJ, albeit a few months back, and I wouldn't describe that as tacky at all. Very nice indeed, in fact, but I'd still never buy another Jaguar).

I hate them, you like them, Jon might end up doing either - ultimately he's asking opinions and what their image is in general...and I think it is still an old one with the general public.

Id wait for the facelift to address the interior and smarten the looks, cant be to far away now.

John said "that comfy, classy, quick" got to be an E Class, 350 CDi. Check out the new GS in a few months time!

I loved the XJ Supersport with the boat like curve in the dash. Lessmodels looked worse, not sure why they dont get the whole BMW thing even if you buy the crapested interior option and the lowest HP engine you can still make it look mean/sporty!

Geoff

Edited by steelwind101

It is opinion yes, but some opinions are unjustifiable, you may think the interior is tacky and over done, thats fine, but to say it's poor quality?

I don't think it is of the quality of BMW or Audi - I think some of the switchgear looks, and more importantly, feels lesser. I don't see how that makes my opinion unjustifiable.

This isn't about my general hang up over Jaguar, it's just what I think to the interiors. I've already said I think the XJ is a nice place to be inside though, and that's what Jon is asking about. I don't think the XF is anywhere near as nice inside. But it's horses for courses. If he loves it, fab.

I too have been in the Jag and the Interior build quality could be better and perhaps a few more panel fixing would help.

If I had the money it wouldn't be spent on the Jag as the depreciation would be more than a BMW or MB

I don't think it is of the quality of BMW or Audi - I think some of the switchgear looks, and more importantly, feels lesser. I don't see how that makes my opinion unjustifiable.

This isn't about my general hang up over Jaguar, it's just what I think to the interiors. I've already said I think the XJ is a nice place to be inside though, and that's what Jon is asking about. I don't think the XF is anywhere near as nice inside. But it's horses for courses. If he loves it, fab.

Interesting thing.... Was driving down the A1 earlier and commented on a Jag we flew, er, drove past. Not sure what it was but it looked quite aggressive and I thought - that looks a bit cool. I said so.

39 year bird in the passenger seat (who doesn't drive by the way) shot back immediately: "You're not old enough for a Jag."

I wasn't actually aiming my comments at you, it was Cockney Boy saying it's cheap and lacks detail.

This is the thing I just don't get though, it's like someone saying to you that Manchester United are sh!t, thats not an opinion anyone can justifiably hold as they clearly aren't, or they wouldn't be holding the trophy, they might not like them, but that doesn't mean they are sh!t.

The same applies to Jaguars interior, I've experienced it first hand, along with Mercs, BMW's and Audi's and it's better than all of those, wether you like the style or not is a matter of opinion, but the quality is not, it's undeniably as good, if not better than the others, and anyone who says otherwise, simply can't have been in one.

Even though I haven't been inside the new XJ I think it looks great, I have seen a few on the road now and the photos in magazines don't really do it justice. Jaguar has had a tough time over the past twenty years under Ford ownership and never really got the chance to give the brand justice. The XF was a big step forward, the refreshed 2012 XF looks great and I think the XJ takes the brand further still. OK so they are owned by Tata but in under three years they have turned the company around, can't wait to see their new supercar hit the road. If anything, I would expect build quality to improve still further, there is a lot of research going on at Warwick Manufacturing Group, at Warwick Uni, to develop new design and production techniques for JLR cars. The new XJ is a huge car but in black with privacy glass I think they look great. BUT yes unfortunately due to earlier damage to the brand I think they will take a hit as soon as you drive it off the dealer forecourt, so if I was going for one I would probably get an ex-demonstrator or low mileage example.

I wasn't actually aiming my comments at you, it was Cockney Boy saying it's cheap and lacks detail.

This is the thing I just don't get though, it's like someone saying to you that Manchester United are sh!t, thats not an opinion anyone can justifiably hold as they clearly aren't, or they wouldn't be holding the trophy, they might not like them, but that doesn't mean they are sh!t.

The same applies to Jaguars interior, I've experienced it first hand, along with Mercs, BMW's and Audi's and it's better than all of those, wether you like the style or not is a matter of opinion, but the quality is not, it's undeniably as good, if not better than the others, and anyone who says otherwise, simply can't have been in one.

Whilst I like the analogy, my response is that Jaguar aren't the Manchester United of the automotive world. They're Spurs. They've come a long way and done well in recent years, but they're still a long way off challenging the leaders of Audi, BMW and Mercedes.....+++

Sorry for neglecting the thread, but I've been down the jag dealers to have a prod and poke. Had a test drive in one similar to this one, except it was in an awful burgundy colour

Royles Jaguar : Jaguar XJ 5.0 V8 Portfolio LWB

To say I'm very impressed is an understatement. Very agile for such a big car. The only real downside was that, although very quick compared to my RR, you had no real feel of torque or acceleration. You just saw the numbers increase rapidly.

The finish inside was at least the same, if not better than the RR, and the 2nd generation of LCD dashboard is superb.

For me I think they have got it spot on, just need to find a pre loved one in the right colour, all the toys, and without wood.

Whilst I like the analogy, my response is that Jaguar aren't the Manchester United of the automotive world. They're Spurs. They've come a long way and done well in recent years, but they're still a long way off challenging the leaders of Audi, BMW and Mercedes.....+++

My sentiments exactly, nicely put !